Quantcast People Who Don't "Get" Disney?!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default People Who Don't "Get" Disney?!

Does anybody else get annoyed by people who don't "get" Disney? Since we're leaving in 5 days and I've been non-stop talking about my trip I've experienced this more and more. It actually frustrates me! The endless questions of, "Why do you keep going? What is there to do? You go without KIDS!?" Anybody else get annoyed by this?!!?!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My solution is to not talk about it with "outsiders" and spend more time here on Intercot with the folks who do get it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree 100%. I do get annoyed. I chalk it up as simple jealousy and lack of knowledge. It seems that the people that have never been to WDW or DL are the worst and most insufferable when it comes to their not understanding WDW and all it has to offer a family. And for those who have been to WDW but the last time was back in 1976, I tell them that today's Disney World is far different from the DW of 76.

I look at it this way, I am not here to sell these people on Disney. I go to Disney because I work my tail off at work all year long with little to no free time, and save so that my family has the most memorable time possible with no outside distractions. Disney trips represent family time, happiness, and all that is good in the world. I do not feel compelled to explain myself to others nor do I care to get into back and forth debates on why Disney is the greatest place to vacation and make memories to last a lifetime. Don't question mje why I go to Disney every year because if you havent been there ever or in a very long time....do some research and see for yourself all that Disney has to offer. If you can't be happy for my family and I as we get ready to go to Disney, then keep it to yourself. If you are genuinely excited for us....I'll talk you ear off about it. All haters...enjoy your 3 day Cedar Point vacation.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

we try to go every yr as a family and hear about it from co workers WHY do you go back or Go to wherever instead . we go back because we feel comfortable there we have tried other places and didnt enjoy them when we are at wdw DW and I can truly relax and get away from REAL world we have 20th anniversary trip planned for feb 2013 and cannot wait
    But I say Nay Nay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4WDW View Post
    Does anybody else get annoyed by people who don't "get" Disney? Since we're leaving in 5 days and I've been non-stop talking about my trip I've experienced this more and more. It actually frustrates me! The endless questions of, "Why do you keep going? What is there to do? You go without KIDS!?" Anybody else get annoyed by this?!!?!
    I completely relate to your frustrations. I have pretty much figured out WHO I can talk to about my love of Disney and who I CANNOT. It used to literally make my blood boil and my face would turn red with frustration but I have come to accept that it may not be for "everyone" but those who don't get it find the need to belittle you for your love of it, and now I just choose to ignore them. I used to try to convince them of why we love it so much, but came to realize that it just isn't worth it. DBF and I also vacation without kids and have received many MANY derogatory comments or innuendos for it, but that too I have chosen to ignore.

Like Faline said, don't bother with the nay-sayers and stay here with folks who know understand and appreciate all our love for the Mouse
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Absoluely !!! Thats why I dont discuss it with "NonDisney" people who dont get it..It just frustrates me too !!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have people who just don't "get it". I try not to discuss Disney with them, unless they ask. I have a brother in law who was always making snide little comments about how silly it is for a grown adult to spend time at the World, then they decided to take their kids. Guess who is now a HUGE fan of the parks?? Now he wants to plan a family trip that includes all 16 of our family. Ah the magic of Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

With all of the folks that have questioned me over the years as to why I love Disney and it frustrated me as well. I got to the point that I was having more fun with making it a point of telling them about my next vaction or the one I just got back from.

Sooner or later they will wake up ( yea right ) and decide to make the trip themselves or they will avoid me like the plague and leave me alone to my trips.

I don't question them on their choices for vacations and they aren't paying for mine so let it go.

Just tell them " Try it you will like it "
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I agree . My wife & I go 2-4 times a yr . We have know kids but I just tell them I'm a 33 yr old kid who still pin trades an even when leaving the MK I get emotional everytime . I feel whole when are there , growing up in Miami Florida I was able to go all the time , now living in Atlanta Ga we are not to far . Only 18 trips in are 9 yrs of being married , can't wait till after thanksgiving 2012 cause we will be going down for more Disney excitement . An moving down to Orlando is in the works CAN'T WAIT .....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    I got to the point that I was having more fun with making it a point of telling them about my next vaction or the one I just got back from.

Sooner or later they will wake up ( yea right ) and decide to make the trip themselves or they will avoid me like the plague and leave me alone to my trips.
    Yes, this. I make it a point to tell them, "90 days until DisneyWorld!" And then I tell them i'm planning to go again in April with just my wife, and then in the fall again with my kids. They roll their eyes at me.

Then, I convince their significant other that they should be taking a WDW trip. So far, i've been successful with two families.

To be completely honest, the people i've met that ask why we always go, when I get talking to them I find out that their problem is that they don't like crowds, and so WDW sounds awful to them, as all they've heard is how hot and packed it always is. While you can never really avoid crowds, you can plan to be there during lighter times, and it is enjoyable.

They don't annoy me. I just pity them.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said on previous posts, I believe we INTERCOTEES have an extra gene and it's shaped like Mickey ears. If someone could just isolate it and give it to everyone I'm sure all our conversations with whomever would be a lot easier. Hang in there, we are "normal" - we just have a better appreciation of FUN
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Great point Itchy !!

I don't question them on their choices for vacations and they aren't paying for mine so let it go.

Post Thanks / Like

I get like you, overly excited. I think a lot of it has to do with other people not wanting to hear about it. Whether it is jealousy or just being done hearing about it.

There are many people out there that simply do not like the concept of Disney World. They are not theme park people. They prefer things like hiking in the mountains, camping with the family, going to national parks.

My advice is to just ignore them and not discuss it with them. You will not be able to convince them unless they go. If you convince them to go, they will blame you for a bad experience.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I do get annoyed to an extent only b/c people look at you like you're absolutely whacko. What is more annoying (and sad) than that are the people that HAVE been and considered it to be a waste of time, or who have a ton of quarrels about their trip... to each their own i suppose. Of course if everyone in the world love it as much as we do then it would probably be much more difficult and you would never have a non busy time! That's one way i look at it.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Am I actually the only person who doesn't have judgmental people like this in my life? I don't think I've ever had someone give me the "you're going back to ........ again?" treatment or any of that stuff. Of course I also don't make a point to seek out those who are bothered by my vacation choice and remind them over and over that I'm going there since it would serve no purpose other than to stir the pot.

Different strokes for different folks. For every non-Disney person saying "You're going back to Disney again???" there's a Disney loving person saying "You're going to Yellowstone/The Beach/Las Vegas again???" I just worry about myself and avoid talking about things with people if I know it's just going to cause drama.

Post Thanks / Like

Omg I agree with you 100%!!!!! It is SO annoying!!! This will be my 41st time going to Disney and seriously every time we go, I get just as excited as my first trip when I was 7! I swear they put something in my water bc I am so obsessed with that place!!! I never ever get tired of it and I feel so relaxed and happy when I am there.
    We do go every year and this year we are going twice but we are leaving in 13 days and I cannot be more excited!!!!! I do get a lot of "you are not going there again" and "aren't you sick of that place, you have been there so many times" and the answer is NO!!!!!!!! I love it, I'm obsessed and I can't help it! Thank goodness I found this website: other people who are just as obsessed as my self! Ahhh
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully I have a few people in work that are just as obsessed about visiting WDW as I am...well maybe not as obsessed, but they appreciate it anyway.

There are plenty more that don't get it, or question me. The ones that annoy me most are the ones that tell me I should stay offsite, go to restaurants in downtown Orlando, or visit those other theme parks in the area. While these options may be acceptable to some, and I may do the latter on another trip some day, I feel there is no reason to leave WDW property on my trips.

I really, really get annoyed by the people that tell me to eat downtown to save money. Sure, let me rent a car for $100 to go downtown and save $5 on that meal...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

In a few days, we're going to be hosting 2 teenage girls who have been to Disney before, but are part of a non Disney family. Our DD16 is going to host them to see if they can see the light. It will be interesting how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't get it either I don't critise(sp) those people that go to Jamacia every yr or come to Maine where I live and go to OOB...I love it when people give me the hairy eyeball when I say I am going by myself..and don't take hubby..or the kids they think I am a freak, really?? And the people that have not been since Before Epcot was built really crack me up..I educate them..Counter service isn't just pizza and burgers. Plus table service meals that are amazing at alot of the resurants.. the fact they think it is just for kids..that one kills me... I try to EDUCATE the MINDLESS...about Disney!!!
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

It is frustrating when people and friends look at me like Im crazy for wanting to go all the time. They think its so cheesy and silly, and I just want to tell them they have no idea. The resorts are amazing, the food is top notch, the transportation system is so great...there is so much I love about WDW it's hard to even know where to start.

I also think one thing for me is the "safe" family friendly, magical, romantic environment that encompasses the whole of WDW...the whole thing is clean, well-run, focused on magic and fun, and beautifully landscaped.

For us, its close to the perfect vacation. I respect other people's not understanding it and not wanting to go...that's fine. But in return I ask that they respect my love of it and support us in wanting to go! I mean, come on, I cannot tell you how many people I know that go to the SAME beach location (Destin) every single year, year after year after year. That's fine. Just don't preach at me that Im crazy for chosing WDW for my vacation!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: