Quantcast No Planes, but trains and automobiles – Part 8 – Disney’s The Dolphin - Aug 3-5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Planes, but trains and automobiles – Part 8 – Disney’s The Dolphin - Aug 3-5

Cast:
    DH – Brian (CanadianWDWFan) Turning 45 on this trip
    DS14 – Harry – Celebrating graduating from Grade 8 (High School already?!?!?)
    DS8 ˝ – Euan – Celebrating his Half-Birthday because we can’t go down in January
    Me – Jennifer – Just happy to be making the trip with my guys!

We didn’t rush to get up Friday morning. Most of our stuff was organized and our plans were pretty minimal for the day. We easily transported our stuff out to the car ourselves, and then made the quick drive around to The Dolphin. Originally our trip would have ended this morning, and we would have gone home, but Brian was able to get another day off (Monday night), and we decided to take advantage of a $125/night deal at The Dolphin.

There is a different vibe at The Dolphin. The people working there are fabulously friendly and helpful, but the hotel seemed dingy and rather like a train station with all the people hanging out in the lobby at any and all hours we went through it. That said, the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. WE all got changed to go down and hang out at the pool. We stopped at Picabu for some incredibly expensive lunch, before arriving at the pool just as the rain started. We opted to wait it out because there wasn’t any lightening. Eventually the sun came out and we had a really lovely afternoon at the pool. We ordered some drinks and relaxed a bit, it was a really nice afternoon. We called it quits when the sky turned charcoal and the winds picked up again, and raised the sun umbrella out of the ground towards Euan. I was able to grab it before he got whacked in the head. We got back into the hotel just as the rain came again.

We rested a bit then got cleaned up to head over to the MK for EMH. There were tons of people waiting at the bus stop, including a man in a wheelchair and his children. When the bus pulled up, people pushed their way on so there was no way that this family could ride, so they were left, along with the four of us and another family. Almost as soon as that overflowing crowded and noisy bus left, an empty new one arrived, and the rest of us were very comfortably transported to the MK. Our only objective was to have dinner at Columbia Harbor House (which was very good) and do whatever we cared to do. Which we did, including the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Tiki Room, Raceway, Stitch and the Laugh Floor (where Euan was the disappearing Randall … hilarious!). We eventually made our way back to the bus and the Dolphin for a very good night’s sleep.

On Saturday we went over to Epcot again. We rode Spaceship Earth again, then the boys designed a roller coaster in Innoventions West, and then we made our way around to the UK to see about having lunch at the Rose and Crown. While we waited, Brian was conscripted to take part as King Arthur in a World Showcase Players story about the Grail. He had fun (and did a very good job), and we had fun telling him he was Rubbish! Lunch was good, and afterwards we continued around to visit some previously missed attractions, and to complete Euan’s passport/Duffy pursuits. At about 4:30 we headed back to the Dolphin to get cleaned up. We were meeting our friends for a final dinner at a local restaurant Abuelos. We all had a great meal and a great time, and then a good long visit back at their place. A really fabulous evening and we enjoy seeing them so much!

Sunday morning, we checked out of The Dolphin (where with Resort fees etc, our $125/night deal was not such a great deal) and went over to the IHOP near Celebration to set us on our way. We drove stead all the way to Bridgeport, West Virginia where we called it a night. The next morning we were up and on our way by 7, crossing the border at the Peach Bridge shortly after noon, and in our home just after 2. It was a good drive home, and we made good time.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the dolphin, but the fees make me crazy.

Thanks for the great reports!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got the couple of extra days! It can be crazy with the busses, glad another one came so quickly.

You made good time home! Sounds like it was a great trip, even with the resort changes.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

How rude - for everyone to push on the bus and leave someone in a wheelchair stranded - that sort of behavior is a pet peeve of mine!

You certainly moved around a bit this trip but still kept it all local!!

Sorry your trip is already at an end - doesn't it always go by far too quickly?!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So did I miss where you guys visited AK, or do you just not care for the park?

Great last few days! We've stayed at the Swan twice and really enjoyed it. I think it's a bit more quiet than the Dolphin, which you are right, always seems bustling with activity. Can't beat the location though.

Love the World Showcase Players and King Arthur and the Holy Grail. I bet Brian did a great job!

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Off to read your final thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

More good days at Disney!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    So did I miss where you guys visited AK, or do you just not care for the park?
    AK is not our favourite. We like It's Tough To Be A Bug, and that's about it.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the dolphin when we were there in Oct. and we felt the same way you did about it. The only good thing is you do get discounts at all the restaurants with your DVC discount so I hope you used that. It saved us a lot while staying there.
    You had a great trip!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

What a nice last few days, even with the rain... and glad to hear your thoughts on the Dolphin, we've contemplated trying it, and may give it a skip after all!! Jealous you got back to Abuelos... but so glad you had fun!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: