Quantcast Traveling with a laptop???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Traveling with a laptop???

I have never traveled with my laptop before and I am thinking about bringing it on my next trip in a few weeks. It just makes me really nervous to think about it though. I just keep picturing it being crushed to pieces or something like that during the travel. So...how many of you bring yours and does it stay safe?
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Carry on, and don't give to bell hops...

I've replaced my laptop with an iPad and now it's much easier to travel with.

Current pricing on laptops almost makes them disposable. Unless you're talking about a MacBook Pro or other high end laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are flying I would take it as part of your carry on.

I bought a Toshiba Thrive table and took it on our trip last May. I will have it on my next trip in
    Sept.

They can do most everything a laptop can do on the internet.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I typically bring my netbook with me. It's small - not much larger than a tablet (tablets weren't available yet when I got my netbook). It does go in my carry-on luggage. It does need to be removed from the bag and placed into a separate bin to go through the security checkpoint. If I take it out of the case in our resort, I can typically get it into the room safe.

I would not recommend putting it into your checked luggage.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I bring my laptop with me, and it travels with me (ie. no checked baggage). I've never had any issues, either on the trip, or while at Disney.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We do it all the time. Invest in a well padded laptop case.

If flying...do NOT check it in. I like keeping it under the seat as opposed to in the storage bin at top (nothing ***** more than some moran who comes in after you put your stuff in bin and shoves their 200 lb carry-on on top of YOUR stuff or squishes it in).

I've never had a problem with my laptop. In fact on the plane or in the car...it was great for passing time, watching movies or playing games.

BUT my ONE recommendation before traveling with a laptop any where, at any time is...before you leave home...back it up, back up all pictures and documents...and clear password files.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

took my laptop i got earlier this yr (my first lap) on last trip in backpack..no problems w security just took it out, then under seat on plane in backpack..i was gonna get a a case for it...in one way i wish i had, as when i was standing at t rental car desk it fell out onto the pavement, luckily just chipped the corner and it still works.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

My Husband and I used to travel with a lap top and now we have replaced that with an iPad. Much smaller and easier to carry on. Always carry on and no worries about leaving it in the room, always safe in WDW!

ahhhh 19 days and counting! Helping me get through the workweek daydreaming about going!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I have to travel with a laptop where ever I go because of work. My dept at work has been decimated by the economy, we have no backups, and you are responsible for your work even while on vacation. We have highly confidential material, government contract data, and other information that needs to be protected.

#1 Carry on. It is the only way to go. I have my wife go through TSA first, then send it through so she is on the other side to receive it.

#2 I have never had an issue with it in the rooms. I do have to cable lock it to something in the room, but that has not been an issue either. Cable locks are only about $15.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Cool IPad

We take iPad. We have My Disney Experience loaded. Also contacts has all our addresses for postcards, emails etc...for family.
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

We have taken a laptop every year since 2007. We put it in a backpack for laptops, which also had room for my DH's medication and our books. We are changing to an iPad this year. Just tired of hauling that big thing around, but we never had any problems with damage. It's a pain at the airport, since we always had to take it out of the back pack. Looking forward to something smaller and easier to carry!
    Claudie

Disney Dream Cruise October 2011
    Grand Californian 2010
    Saratoga Springs/3 day Bahama Cruise 2009
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008 (DVC)
    POR August 2007
    CBR January 1991
    WDW offsite 1987
    Disneyland 2 times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    We do it all the time. Invest in a well padded laptop case.

If flying...do NOT check it in. I like keeping it under the seat as opposed to in the storage bin at top (nothing ***** more than some moran who comes in after you put your stuff in bin and shoves their 200 lb carry-on on top of YOUR stuff or squishes it in).

I've never had a problem with my laptop. In fact on the plane or in the car...it was great for passing time, watching movies or playing games.

BUT my ONE recommendation before traveling with a laptop any where, at any time is...before you leave home...back it up, back up all pictures and documents...and clear password files.
    I travel somewhat frequently for work, and the above is exactly what I do when I fly or take the train.

I also recommend making sure everything in the laptop bag is as organized as possible. Once I held up the security line because I had to repack my laptop bag because all of my cords and iPod fell out. VERY embarasing!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I guess alot more people travel with their laptops than I realized. I will just make sure Im careful with it and bring it along. And Im not going to be flying, we will be driving.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are driving - no worries. We even leave ours set up on a desk in the hotel and have never had it taken. Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it. We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Since you are driving - no worries. We even leave ours set up on a desk in the hotel and have never had it taken. Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it. We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.
    Us too. We've never locked up our netbook or anything in the room. We just leave it out. We password protect the sign in screen and it's great to be able to clear off our digital photos from the camera's memory card every day. That way, we don't have to worry about what would happen if we lost the camera.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.
    You sure about that?

The camera connector should allow you to access your memory card, and there are quite a few apps that will let you move files around on the iPad.

I can access ALL my files on my home network from anywhere I have Internet connectivity with my iPad. I've copied pictures around, files, edited Office Documents, even watch movies stored on my file server in my hotel room 2000 miles away.

As much as I didn't think my iPad could totally replace a laptop. With the right app(s) and some time learning how to do things, it really can.

Check out FileBrowser, QuickOffice and Dropbox for starters...

Post Thanks / Like

Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it.
    That's probably not enough. With a portable version of Linux, files on your Windows computer can be accessed, even if you have password protected accounts. You need to make sure no sensitive data is stored on the computer or if it is, it's encrypted.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    That's probably not enough. With a portable version of Linux, files on your Windows computer can be accessed, even if you have password protected accounts. You need to make sure no sensitive data is stored on the computer or if it is, it's encrypted.
    Hey, you're giving away all our best secrets! Don't tell them about the back door!

Seriously, making a bootable CD or bootable USB stick is trivial and will allow access. I have a few that I use for PC recovery when people mess up their machines sufficiently. Mostly to run malware/virus scanning, but a few tools will even reset passwords, etc. Good stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I guess I don't think about that because I dump most of my most 'private' files on my external hard drive before I leave on vacation with my laptop. No passwords stored on my computer, etc.
    Katherine
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You sure about that?

The camera connector should allow you to access your memory card, and there are quite a few apps that will let you move files around on the iPad.

I can access ALL my files on my home network from anywhere I have Internet connectivity with my iPad. I've copied pictures around, files, edited Office Documents, even watch movies stored on my file server in my hotel room 2000 miles away.

As much as I didn't think my iPad could totally replace a laptop. With the right app(s) and some time learning how to do things, it really can.

Check out FileBrowser, QuickOffice and Dropbox for starters...
    Yep - we cannot access our home network from outside our home - all related to husband's work stuff. And an ipad doesn't have enough memory for the amount of photos my digital camera obsessed family takes during vacation. (All large format because we enlarge, print, edit, etc.)
    Katherine
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: