Quantcast are crowds lower than other years?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default are crowds lower than other years?

hello,

I have read on different posts that crowd levels are a lot lower right now than same time last year.

Dw and I go in mid september and although that time is usually not too bad even lower crowds would be super!
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were at Magic Kingdom and Epcot a couple of weeks ago and crowd levels and wait times were definitely low. We were at Magic Kingdom for only 8 hours and did almost everything there except for a few attractions the kids didn't want to do. We also rode splash mountain 3 times, big thunder railroad twice and pirates of the Caribbean twice. We went to Epcot for about 7 hours the next day and did everything there with exception of the God Awful films about each country. In both parks, many of the wait times were only 15-20 minutes and at times only 10 minutes. The popular rides got up to about 60 minutes during the afternoon for a few hours but then started dropping back off. I have never been in the summer peak season and seen such low crowd levels.

On a side note, we also went to Sea World and Busch Gardens while we were and the crowd levels were as high or higher than I have ever seen them.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there yesterday and Magic Kingdom rides had almost all less than 30 minute wait times. Incredible for a Saturday night in early August!
    Last edited by Melanie; 08-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

wow that`s amazing.

I wonder if all the price increases and cut backs are taking a toll?

This is great for people there now not having to deal with crowds so much in the heat of summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as someone leaving for WDW in just 2 weeks, I'm torn by the usual Catch-22: I want WDW to be vibrant and successful going forward in the future, so big crowds spending lots of money would help that. On the other hand, I dream of 2 weeks of low crowds and lots of short lines and ride repeats. I'm pretty selfish, so I'm going to wish for the latter.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

In general this last little spell seems unusual because crowds in general are up for the year. I think some folks are avoiding the hottest part now and taking vacations during other traditionally "low" times of the year which is why those times aren't so low any more.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Crowds are definitely more spread out throughout the year now. I couldn't believe the lower crowds last month. It's definitely noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Crowds are definitely more spread out throughout the year now. I couldn't believe the lower crowds last month. It's definitely noticeable.
    I wonder how much Disney is manipulating the crowd levels with free dining offers.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We had two days on our trip (July 21-26) that had lower crowds, but one was due to a long rainy afternoon. The other two park days we had were incredibly crowded, even during the first hour after opening.

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there in 27 days and I bet crowds will be higher than they are now because of free dining Although Im not knocking free dining, because we are taking advantage of that..but I bet that's my luck, there will probably be higher than normal crowds.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    We had two days on our trip (July 21-26) that had lower crowds, but one was due to a long rainy afternoon. The other two park days we had were incredibly crowded, even during the first hour after opening.

Kathy
    That is the same week we were there that I posted about earlier. We were at Magic Kingdom on Wednesday 7/25 and Epcot on Thursday 7/26. As I stated in earlier post, the crowd levels were exceptionally low for that time of year. After looking at your list of recent previous trips, it looks like you normally visit during off peak times so that may explain why you thought the crowd levels were high. I have seen higher crowd levels in the middle of January while there for a large convention.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt we need to worry about Disney not being vibrant and growing, but I also think Universal may have a bit of an upper hand right now with the Hogwarts section pulling people into their parks and hotels. But the new Fantasyland is coming soon and that will pull everyone back In fact, some may be holding off on WDW trips to wait for all the new FL to be open. All that said, we'll be there in two weeks and I really really hope we have low crowds. That would be awesome!!
    BLT 8 - 2012
    CR 11-2009
    DL/GC 11-2007
    YC 6-2006
    GF 12-2005
    FW 5-2004
    FW 2-2001
    FW 10-2000
    Off site 1-1998

Post Thanks / Like

I also think the hot summer and the economy have taken their toll on a lot of people this summer. Gas prices, food prices, etc have an effect. Also, its been so hot no one wants to go out and do anything.

Like others noted, some people may have postponed their trips to try to use the free dining promotion, attend the Food and Wine festival, etc.

I'll be there in 6 days and will try and report. This will be trip #25, several of which have been in summer, so I should have a good comparison from the past.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I also think the hot summer and the economy have taken their toll on a lot of people this summer. Gas prices, food prices, etc have an effect. Also, its been so hot no one wants to go out and do anything.
    I'm not so sure I agree with this perspective. The economy was a lot worse 3-4 years ago. Gas prices were higher last few summers than they have been this summer. Its always hot somewhere in the U.S. every summer, this year just happens to be your turn.

I personally think its all the price increases and decreasing services and quality. We normally stay on property but decided to try an offsite resort this time. The price was better, the accommodations were just as nice, we got free breakfast and we didn't have to wait on WDW buses. It was great.

Post Thanks / Like

wife and I have considered trying staying offsite after staying onsite for many trips.

problem is when you figure the cost of a valu resort during free dining and also the fifteen dollar a day parking charge if not staying onsite
    and paying for all your meals onsite is a really good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the post that some people might be holding off until the Fantasyland expansion is complete. I know that before I booked this trip, I was going to hold out until it was complete. This year just happens to work for us, and with the free dining, it kind of sealed the deal for us to go this November.
    Laura
    VMK: CL_MissAstroCat

Jan 1982-1992-OS • July 1993 - DL Paris • June 1995-ASM • Mar 1998-OS • Jan 2001-OS • Dec 2005- POFQ • Jan 2007- POFQ & Dolphin • Mar 2008- CB • Aug 2008 - Poly • Nov 2012 - POR • Nov 2014 - CSR&AKL • Mar 2015 - POFQ & HilBV • May 2015 - ASSp • Mar 2016 - CB & HilBV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missastrocat View Post
    I would agree with the post that some people might be holding off until the Fantasyland expansion is complete.
    Between "free" dining and the new Fantasyland stuff opening I would expect November and December to be packed this year with the months preceding those a little lower than normal. I imagine a good many people are waiting until late November or December when they know the new stuff will be open (plus the new Test Track opening Dec 1). We decided NOT to go in December this year because I'm expecting much higher than normal crowds. We'll go sometime next year when the newness has worn off a little.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to get off topic here but does anyone know the date when the construction will be done and Fantasy Land will be completely open?

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    I don't mean to get off topic here but does anyone know the date when the construction will be done and Fantasy Land will be completely open?
    There has not been an announcement beyond AP holders will get a preview "sometime" in November. It looks like it will be open to the general public close to the end of November. I imagine they'll want it open by Thanksgiving week.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dyin tago View Post
    wife and I have considered trying staying offsite after staying onsite for many trips.

problem is when you figure the cost of a valu resort during free dining and also the fifteen dollar a day parking charge if not staying onsite
    and paying for all your meals onsite is a really good deal.
    Oh the horror! LOL. My wife and I have had good and bad experiences staying offsite in Kissimmee.
    We stayed at a hotel on Cape Cod last week for $169 a night and felt that we got ripped off. The room was nothing special and the pool area was ordinary at best. The benefits of staying at Disney can't be overlooked. The resorts are beautiful, the pools are great, and there's nothing like being right in the middle of the Magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: