Quantcast Health department investigates Disney's 'Wild Africa Trek'

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Health department investigates Disney's 'Wild Africa Trek'

From 'Click Orlando' (via Drudge)

Officials investigate link between dozens of illnesses, Animal Kingdom tour

Health department investigates Disney's 'Wild Africa Trek'

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -
    The Orange County Health Department is investigating Walt Disney World's "Wild Africa Trek" experience after dozens of parkgoers became ill.

Orange County Health Department spokesman Dain Weister confirmed with Local 6 that the majority of the illnesses, described as a stomach bug, were reported in June.

The trek features VIP access to crocodiles, hippos and exotic animals in Disney's Animal Kingdom through a guided tour and a tasting of African-inspired foods on a savannah.

Symptoms were nausea, diarrhea and abdominal pain, Weister said. There were no hospitalizations and the health department is still investigating.

Disney enforced cleaning of surfaces and hand sanitizing after the sickness outbreak. Weister said they inspected the restaurant that provides food during the tour, but no issues came up.

Disney officials confirmed they have taken precautionary steps in response to the sicknesses.

"We are working closely with the Orange County Health Department to review the situation," said Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We went last December...no issues...unless they had an issue keeping the food cold while waiting for people to arrive at look-out where we ate. Perhaps they need a frig there during the hot summer months.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ick! How rotten! I'm sure they are working crazy hard to avoid this from happening again.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't the food for this come from Boma or Jiko??? Unless I am thinking of some tour for DAK...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the food comes from the Tusker House. We did this tour mid May with no issues. It was fabulous and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they have the issues solved by our 2014 trip, because that's going to be at the top of our list of things to do!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

At any point in this tour, do you actually TOUCH any animals? Or, touch any areas that the animals are living in?

Some animals (particularly turtles and some lizards) carry Salmonella on their bodies.

I would imagine that something as simple as touching a turtle shell could make a lot of people very sick if they do not properly wash their hands before eating...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

At no time did we come even close to coming in contact with any animals. There are two spots where you overlook the hippos and crocodiles, but are kept at quite a distance. The rest of the time was on the safari truck or at the lookout for the "lunch".
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggeRia View Post
    I think the food comes from the Tusker House. We did this tour mid May with no issues. It was fabulous and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
    Tusker House provides the food?? Then I was thinking of one of the other tours which include breakfast at either Boma or Jiko...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Like they said, there is no issues with where the food was coming from. So, like someone else said, it may be because they dont have a refridgerator for the food while the people are going to get their lunch? Im not sure. I hope they have a follow-up on this article.

Does anyone know if they have cancelled tours as of right now? or are they still going on with them?

~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~
    Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaterializedHaunt View Post
    Like they said, there is no issues with where the food was coming from. So, like someone else said, it may be because they dont have a refridgerator for the food while the people are going to get their lunch? Im not sure. I hope they have a follow-up on this article.

Does anyone know if they have cancelled tours as of right now? or are they still going on with them?
    They are still going on. This has not been a recurring issue, just in June. This makes it something like food supply/suppliers on those days, an employee who brought disease with them, or guest disease infecting each other, or similar.All of those are hard to pin down but it's clear it is not an ongoing food handling or preparation issue.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

From what I read, they first checked the kitchen which supplies to food eaten on the tour and found no problems. The conjecture is that someone - possibly even a guest with poor hygiene habits may have been the precipatating factor that has spread this intestinal illness from that point on. Hopefully, the deep cleaning Disney is doing will eliminate the issue.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    From what I read, they first checked the kitchen which supplies to food eaten on the tour and found no problems. The conjecture is that someone - possibly even a guest with poor hygiene habits may have been the precipatating factor that has spread this intestinal illness from that point on. Hopefully, the deep cleaning Disney is doing will eliminate the issue.
    Most outbreaks of this type (that cannot be traced to a bacterial source in the food) are related to viral source from a human host, as Linda mentioned. Many years back I went to a day-long nursing conference at a university in the city where I was living. Twenty-four hours later I was experiencing severe nausea/vomiting and abdominal pain. Because I was pregnant at the time, my OB doctor advised me to go to the ER at the hospital where I worked for IV fluids. Once there, my husband and I realized that there was a whole slew of students from the university with the same symptoms. Turns out that 90% of the people who attended the conference got sick and it was related to a single person who was handling the pastries for the morning coffee break, and he apparently got the bug from someone else at the school who was sick.

Once Disney was aware of the situation, I'm sure they followed all the procedures to ensure that all of their food-handling employees were following proper hand-washing procedures and ensuring that guests were doing the same. I highly doubt that there would be a re-occurrence of the same virus.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Human source was my first thought too. People tend to blame many things, when proper hygiene and such could have prevented problems.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

But if the Health Department is investigating, doesn't that point to some sort of food poisoning cause like Salmonella, E.Coli, or Listeria? I didn't think the Health Department investigated "stomach bugs."

I wonder if any of these patients tested positive for any of these pathogens?

This article might not be providing all the relevant information.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    But if the Health Department is investigating, doesn't that point to some sort of food poisoning cause like Salmonella, E.Coli, or Listeria? I didn't think the Health Department investigated "stomach bugs."
    I thought those things were stomach bugs (bacteria, viruses)(among others, of course)
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

I wonder if any of these patients tested positive for any of these pathogens?

This article might not be providing all the relevant information.
    Health departments investigate all episodic outbreaks, especially when it is related to food. The incident I was involved in was investigated by the county health department and a report was made available to the public. If they don't find any contamination in the food or preparation surfaces, that usually points towards viral transmission. I don't think testing people for the bacteria you mention is often done as many people already carry them in their digestive tract (especially E. Coli) and by the time they get around to it the infections will have run their course.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: