Quantcast Santa is not welcome…?? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I often take a cynical view on things, but, WOW. I'm kind of surprised at some of the comments here. It's one thing to make the argument that WDW is private property and they can regulate it however they want, but to go so far as to suggest that this man had nefarious motives or is somehow mentally disturbed is just too much for me. Maybe, just maybe, he likes bringing joy to the world? I know, I know, people like that don't exist any more these days.

As far as his actions, I don't think taking pictures is bad as long as he is congenial to it, but autographs take it a bit too far. Still, SANTA is NOT a Disney-owned property, and he was not really in a "costume." I don't think he should say he's Santa, but not totally deny it, either. Maybe come up with a clever line that neither confirms nor denies.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I often take a cynical view on things, but, WOW. I'm kind of surprised at some of the comments here. ... but to go so far as to suggest that this man had nefarious motives or is somehow mentally disturbed is just too much for me. Maybe, just maybe, he likes bringing joy to the world? I know, I know, people like that don't exist any more these days.
    And you are completely entitled to your opinion.

Trying to look at this as a rational person and being completely objective, I see no other conclusion to this other than the man (whether he be a do-gooder or not), craved the attention that he was getting or craves the attention he gets on a regular basis and went above and beyond to have his face and story plastered all over the internet and on TV. To me, it looks like he is doing it for his own personal gain but that's strictly my opinion.

As a parent, (don't mean to sound like a broken record) all I can do is control what my children do in certain circumstances. Would I let my child approach this man? Not a chance. Would I be appauled that other parents were allowing their children to go up to this man? Not my place to answer that as I am not responsible for those kids.

I cringe at the thought of what this man's real intentions are given the fact that i do not know him from a hole int he wall. Is he sick? I don't know. Does he have issues? I don't know. Is he a nice man? I don't know. Is he just trying to make kids happy? I don't know. I for one, am not willing to allow my children to approach him and find out if he is the nice Santa he portrays or a potential sick and harmful individual. That's just me.

I think regardless of his intentions, this gentelman crossed the line of a "magical experience". Magic and pixie dust take a backseat to protecting my children and all other children in instances such as this.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

"I wish they would put as much effort into policing some of these large groups that tend to roam in packs, push thier way to front of lines, or nearly run over people as they do to worrying about people dressed like Disney Characters or Santa Clause. I know you can never be too safe, and I do agree with them drawing the line once this guy started signing autographs and taking pictures. I just wish they would be as vigilant with these huge tour groups as they are with Santa or some high school girl dressing as tinkerbell for her BF... "

Please understand, i'm not trying to be rude or anything, not at all, but I'm just curious how do you regulate a large group? even if they are being pushy or nearly running over people? do you tell them they can't sing? they can't laugh? they cant move in a group? they can't eat at a resturant because there's too many of them? What kind of regulation can you do? Do you not allow big groups? there are situations every trip where someone in just a group of 2 will run me over or cut in line. They aren't being rude, usually just not paying attention, it just that when you have thousands of people in small area, there will be contact and rude people.
    not sure how you can regulate a big group. Unless there is actual physical violence, i always just assume when i go on vacation, there will be rude guests, there will be people who cut in front of me, and there will be people who bump into me. No harm, no foul, i just go w/ it. i would never let anything like that ruin my vacation.

One problem i see w/ older kids from age from 16-99, and yes we are kids at heart, dressing as a character is the image it may put out. If you're dressed as tinkerbell as an older kid, there are so many things you may do that would ruin the "magic" for younger kids, without even meaning to ruin the magic, and not even doing anything wrong at all. can you picture an adult dressed as santa or Tinkerbell in the smoking section? or saying a cuss word? having an argument w/ her bf? kissing her bf in public? or a kid coming up and asking something and having that person be rude?
    these are all things DIsney has absolutely no control over. the guests aren't even doing anything wrong. Disney spends millions of dollars on it's image. The only thing you can do is just not allow it. I know it's harsh and i understand how that girl dressed as Tinkerbell felt, i do. and i'm sorry. But part of why i pay so much for my Disney trip is the magic it gives. If i was there w/ my kids and a teenager is dressed as tinkerbell and doing nothing worse than holding hands w/ her bf, i would still feel a little uncomfortable for my kids.

does that make sense at all?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Santa! Oh my god! Santa's coming! I know him! I know him!

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something that was not mentioned

The original poster said he was asked to leave. In the Disney statement they clearly state that he was not asked to leave but to comply. Just noting.

I have a brother in law that looks alot like Santa and plays him at the holidays. I can't imagine how upset he would be if they asked him to leave. He, I don't think would dress up and go to the park though. But no fear of him being down there. I think in this instance Disney did the right thing. They don't know him and it does appear he was seeking attention. I understand where they are coming from. Just MHO.
    JANE

```````````````````````````````````````
    Last trip Oct 27-31-HALLOWEEN trip, Wilderness Lodge Club level
    Next trip ?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the parents, who just let their kids go up to the guy? Maybe the guy is a lil strange, but the parents are the problem. Done their job, no one would have had to intervene.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post

It's also hard to side with a person whose immediate response is to call the local television station to make a big deal about their situation.
    This was the big STAND OUT point to me... Disney is very clear on their policy about guests not dressing as any type of character, not just to keep with the distinct atmosphere that Disney strives for, but also for the safety of the children. This man had to know he had a striking resemblance to Santa, as this was probably not the first time that he has gotten this response if so many children were flocking to him in Disney. This man was dressed in a way that did not discourage the misunderstanding. This man was signing autographs and taking pictures with children... He obviously sounds like he is not shy to attention, and it may even have been premeditated! And then to immediately turn around and run to the media when Disney turns you away, and not accept the possible safety issue that could prompt Disney to do so, it seems like this is nothing but a desperate attempt at attention! And maybe some money from a nice little discrimination law suit... Watch out for hot coffee at McDonald's and those mean Disney people who won't let strangers dress up like their characters and take pictures with your kids!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I think that clearly on the face of it he is a Santa impersonator who enjoys the attention one gets from being a Santa impersonator, and yes, by going to the news he's bringing more attention on himself. But unless it comes out that he has some criminal record, I think the demonizing of him should stop there.
    It's not like he set up a chair on Main Street and was beckoning children over to him.

Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like santa!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=PirateLover;2286219]Don't get me wrong, I think that clearly on the face of it he is a Santa impersonator who enjoys the attention one gets from being a Santa impersonator, and yes, by going to the news he's bringing more attention on himself. But unless it comes out that he has some criminal record, I think the demonizing of him should stop there.
    It's not like he set up a chair on Main Street and was beckoning children over to him.

I think the point that you are missing is that this individual did not try to stop the kids. He allowed people to take photos and he was signing autographs. As I stated in an earlier post, I do not know his intentions or would accuse him of any ill intent towards the kids. I think that this guy was seeking attention period. Again to prove the point; HE went to the media with the story not Disney. He again was trying to get attention. I can see it now "Big Bad Disney picking on Santa Claus"; film at 11. This guy needs help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    What about the parents, who just let their kids go up to the guy? Maybe the guy is a lil strange, but the parents are the problem. Done their job, no one would have had to intervene.
    Maybe not. Think about how many people in any given day have entered Disney World for the very first time without any idea of what to expect. They might know that characters are available and they can have pictures with the characters but, perhaps, they are not familiar with which characters there are and how the whole visiting with characters work. I would imagine it's not a far leap for some folks to think that Disney might feature "Santa on vacation" walking around the parks in mid-summer and parents could, potentially, have thought the man was in this role.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think that clearly on the face of it he is a Santa impersonator who enjoys the attention one gets from being a Santa impersonator, and yes, by going to the news he's bringing more attention on himself. But unless it comes out that he has some criminal record, I think the demonizing of him should stop there.

You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like santa!
    Demonizing? Really, is that what comes to mind when you read this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    Demonizing? Really, is that what comes to mind when you read this thread?
    Not looking to get into some back and forth, but yeah, I do think a few people crossed the line into "demonizing." If you don't agree that's your prerogative. Overall I think most people in this thread are giving level headed responses.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Maybe not. Think about how many people in any given day have entered Disney World for the very first time without any idea of what to expect. They might know that characters are available and they can have pictures with the characters but, perhaps, they are not familiar with which characters there are and how the whole visiting with characters work. I would imagine it's not a far leap for some folks to think that Disney might feature "Santa on vacation" walking around the parks in mid-summer and parents could, potentially, have thought the man was in this role.
    Hey I have seen that Santa at the Swan/Dolphin during the Christmas Holidays. They have him in shorts and a hawaiin shirt taking photos near the boat dock and signing autographs.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Shocking photo of the man detained by Disney security:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7...ac932035_c.jpg
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has every right to step in and ask this man to refrain from inpersonating Santa. Can you imagine the lawsuits if this man harmed a child while on their property? I think this man knew better and was behaving in a bad manner.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea about the mans motives...but regardless of the motives if I'm Disney I'm shutting him down because of the potential for him to do harm to someone or simply someone's vacation. I mean even if the worst thing he does is tell a whiny kid to "buzz off or he won't getting anything but coal this year in his stocking" that would be enough to put a bad taste in someone's mouth and make WDW seem to be a much less magical place to spend their vacation money.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Shocking photo of the man detained by Disney security:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7...ac932035_c.jpg

Busted
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media: