Quantcast Braces! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braces!

Post Thanks / Like

These teeth that are coming in over front teeth...are the baby teeth that never erupted or are they extra teeth?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    These teeth that are coming in over front teeth...are the baby teeth that never erupted or are they extra teeth?
    They appear to be extra teeth. He did not have one of his baby teeth, but several xrays showed that it was not there at all.

The xray he had a year and a half ago didn't show these extra teeth. Then the next xray, which was done 6 months ago, did show something. I do recall his dentist saying there appeared to be something up there, but it was very hard to see. This new xray clearly shows two "spots" that appear to be extra teeth. Very strange if you ask me, but I know nothing about teeth. I do know that there is definitely something there, it's clear as day on these new xrays.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

Carly's were very slow to come in, but we saw them all on the xrays. Just this spring she dropped her last tooth into place.

One quck bit of insight. If it is possible, check into a dental school near you. We went to university of maryland at baltimore two summers ago and had a great deal of work done. The local folks were going to charge about 43,000. Yes, you read that correctly. Even with the travel expenses to baltimore, we spent less than 4,000. The work is superior and they were wonderful. I did have to shop around to several schools close by before we decided on UM.

They taught me that it is important to be conservative. Carly is getting her braces late(she just turned 16 this march) but if we would have jumped the gun and done things aggressivly years ago so that she would have a "quick fix" smile, we would have to do it all again because of her growth. I am very grateful to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting nervous reading this. My son is only 6 They've already told me his mouth is going to be too small for his adult teeth and that braces are a definite.

He just had 4 baby teeth pulled to make room for his adult teeth, a crown and a filling. Luckily we have insurance, but we had to pay for anesthesia because he has a high stress level. Anesthesia is only cover at 30%.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    They taught me that it is important to be conservative. Carly is getting her braces late(she just turned 16 this march) but if we would have jumped the gun and done things aggressivly years ago so that she would have a "quick fix" smile, we would have to do it all again because of her growth. I am very grateful to them.
    That brings up a good point. I don't understand all this starting orthodontia at age 7 or 8 or whatever. Like you stated, how is this accounting for growth? I was kinda glad we were in Japan during these years for my boys and Josh wasn't started until he was 12. And I'm in no huge hurry for my youngest, who is 12 now.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree on not jumping the gun on things too. My dentist actually gave us a referal form when the boys were something like 8 and 6, for them to both get started seeing their ortho! DH and I were like, heck no, they still have mouths full of baby teeth.

DS now has all his permanent teeth, which is why we decided to start the process now. Not to mention all his classmates either already had them or are starting now, thus he's been asking us about it for a year now. I know it's important to my son, and I feel it's a good time to do it, age wise. We don't plan to start with younger DS till we finish up with older DS. Our youngest will probably be close to 13 before we start with him.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    That brings up a good point. I don't understand all this starting orthodontia at age 7 or 8 or whatever. Like you stated, how is this accounting for growth? I was kinda glad we were in Japan during these years for my boys and Josh wasn't started until he was 12. And I'm in no huge hurry for my youngest, who is 12 now.
    That is true. I had braces. I think they came off at 16ish. My teeth were perfect. Then a wisdom tooth started to come in sideways. Now they are not so perfect anymore. I'd love to get them again but they are not bad enough to make up for the cost.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We started early with my children, BUT they all needed to have their Palates stretched - and that HAS to be done before the growth plates in the skull fuse together. And a pronounced underbite should be treated WITH the growth so it has to be done early too. I had 3 of my 4 with underbites.

But the key is to visit the local orthodontists (or dental college if it isn't too far) and get a feel for the one that you trust most to be most conservative - not starting to early to only have to do braces again later, not wanting to pull teeth, etc.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    We started early with my children, BUT they all needed to have their Palates stretched - and that HAS to be done before the growth plates in the skull fuse together.
    I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but yes, yes, yes to this!
    I was shocked to see a friend's then-2nd grader with braces... until I took my ~3rd grader to the ortho and learned about palate expanders. I have a too-small mouth which my children inherited. My two oldest have already had the expanders and my last will be getting hers soon. This doesn't mean they won't need correction later on, but the "heavy lifting" is out of the way--they won't have to spend $40K+ in 20 or 30 years to have their bites corrected surgically. (This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously; I'm not trying to say anyone's choice were "wrong". For me and my family, early treatment was the better option.)

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the kids that are in the office are so young - Stephanie is like the old lady around there and she is 17. She was really embarrassed the first time when all the kids were putting tickets in the treasure chess after their appointment - I almost asked her where her ticket was but restrained myself.

My husband's uncle had 2 sets of baby teeth and one set of permanent teeth. He never did lose all his baby teeth- the permanent teeth just grew next to some of them. You couldn't see anything different by just looking at him.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to say that most certainly there are cases where early intervention is necessary. I'm not talking about those folks. Unfortunately, I do believe there is advantage being taken of some with slight to moderate cases where braces are placed on too early.

Post Thanks / Like

Braces....
    I think I should have been an orthodontist!!!!

Our orthodontist has a thriving practice!!! Always packed in that office.

I do like him, and he and his family are Disney junkies!!! 2 big trips a year.

$5,100 in my neck of the woods for full braces. Morgan gets hers off on August 10th. Amen. I'm done with our payments.
    Apparently, according to my younger daughter, I don't love her as much because she didn't need braces...LOL!
    Can't win!
    Also can't put a price tag on a great smile.
    Insurance covered $1,100 so we were on the hook for $4,000. We were able to use our flexible spending account, a benefit through my husband's employer. We flexed the maximum $3,000 the first year and did $1,500 this year. For the braces it was a winner!!
    Good Luck!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Carly had her pallette expander last summer. She was 15. As long as it is done before growth stops it works.

I read on msn the other day that orthodontist have the highest paying salary. I remember my eldest wanted to be an orthodontist for years when she was little. Too bad it changed!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: