Quantcast Do You Videotape Your Disney Trip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Do You Videotape Your Disney Trip?

I was wondering how many of you videotape your vacations. And if you do, do you enjoy it?

For each trip, I'll usually record at least three or four tapes worth of video. I'll record the packing before we leave, the morning ride to the airport, even inside the airport. I'll record walks through sections of the park, taking a panaramic view of the aurroundings. I'll record entire rides (where permitted), such as Kilimanjaro Safari and Jungle Cruise. And when we return, I'll edit it on the computer, adding effects, and burn a DVD. Then, one night, we'll have movie night and re-live the entire trip. It's a great tradition.

But the thing is: when I'm recording, I'm actually missing much of the enjoyment. You can't fully take in the beauty of the parks, looking at them through a camera screen. If I'm focused on making a nice video for my family, I'm missing the real impact of being in Disney as it's happening. It's a double-edged sword.

What do you think?
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I video. I got an HD camera for our last trip so we have plenty of footage, lol. However, I don't do nearly as professional of job as it sounds like you do. I generally don't use the view screen much, and just turn the camera to the direction I am looking (a little more "point of view" I guess) and when I get home, I put each day on a separate Blu Ray without any real editing. It's still fun to watch! I kind of justify it by saying that its what old 8mm uses would have done (and you can catch some really interesting stuff that you didn't even know you had!)
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I have recorded some of Wishes on my phone, but have left the video camera at home. I don't want to spend my vacation looking through the viewfinder.

Maybe you could stll tape the pre trip fun, checking into the hotel, your room as well as the end, but don't bring the camera to the parks. When you get back to the hotel, record each member of your family telling about the part of the day they enjoyed the most. You still get all the wonderful memories, without missing the actual moments.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing you did and kind of think like you do. Looking back I feel like I missed some of the experience. But the movies are fun to watch especially the older ones.

One thing I learned is that I spent more time video-ing attractions and not family. It should be the opposite really.

The best video I have is of my 9 year old son narrating the trip and pointing out stuff in the parks. It is great.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. The most extreme cast was in 2005 when I shot 6 hours of video over 14 days. It then took 40 hours to edit the video to produce a 60 minute video and 2 other 60 minute DVDs of shows.

Most shows were shot more than once, from different positions (angles), then the final version was cut together.

The result has been shown to family and friends and even made some converts to WDW 7 years on.

The HD DVD will be going back this year as we're doing some new things: Behind the Steam Trains and Wild Africa tours and a few outside WDW things (shock horror )
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I saw our entire trip in 2006 through a viewfinder and feel I missed out on alot of the trip due to it. Although we enjoy watching the DVD's every now and again I don't think I would do it again. Last trip the video camera was left at home.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we take turns taking video! We love watching highlights of the trip for years to come. Plus, as the kids have grown older it is fun to see how they used to react and how that changes. We have some precious memories that we can watch again and again instead of trying to hold on to the memory.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing about my videos is that they usually aren't so great, and indeed, I do feel like I'm missing out while trying to capture moments for the future. Sadly, I lost one of my memory cards of our 2010 trip, which was of the first few days of my DD's first trip. Hopefully it will turn up some day, because it would make me sad to lose it. Anyway, more to the point, I think a good balance of capturing memories and living in the moment is always nice.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We video, but not so much Disney now. We have been there so many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Do what's fun

I think the real question here is do you enjoy taking the videos and and doing the production work afterwards? Maybe I don't want to video my vacation but so what. If you enjoy it, if that is your way of relaxing then do it. However if you think you have enough videos for now then take a vacation from it and just enjoy the trip. Maybe use photo pass this trip or just take your still camera/cell phone. Maybe share the video work with other members of your family, it might be fun to see what others record. Any way its your vacation enjoy it.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

We don't video. And I'm sorry to all of you taping aficionados, but you are the people I dread being next to or behind the most, even when taping is allowed. That little video screen really draws my gaze and distracts me. But, I deal with it. People who record on dark rides, though, grrr.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    We don't video. And I'm sorry to all of you taping aficionados, but you are the people I dread being next to or behind the most, even when taping is allowed. That little video screen really draws my gaze and distracts me. But, I deal with it. People who record on dark rides, though, grrr.
    Any video taping we have done has never been during a show or on a ride. We would video our children meeting characters and such.

I do see what you are saying though, last year we were watching the Lion King at AK and I had to keep re-adjusting and looking around the video camera of the woman in front of me who held her camera up over her head video taping the whole show. Now that tablets are so popular it only makes it worse.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I generally don't use the view screen much, and just turn the camera to the direction I am looking (a little more "point of view" I guess) and when I get home, I put each day on a separate Blu Ray without any real editing.
    I have a camera that does both stills and video. The majority of mine are stills, but there are somethings that are great video. NEVER,never on a ride as I find that to be incredibly rude and inconsiderate of others. My videos tend to be a minute or two long; ie a character meet interaction or a 50s diner moment. The odd "memory" clip are fun to have though.

I, like several other posters here, prefer to live my vacation in the moment. Otherwise,imho, why go at all?? You can get the same thing from watching YouTube. . . . for alot cheaper.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I took my Flip Cam on our last trip and I used it twice. (Reached for it a third time, couldn't get it in time.) We used it to tape:

1.) DH trying to wake up DS on his 3rd birthday. After two nights in Tampa with the great grandparents, where he did. not. sleep. at. all., a day at Epcot wiped him out. We had a hard time waking him to go to the MK for his birthay celebration. The video of DH singing "Happy birthday" punctuated with DS's snores is priceless.

2.) I videotaped the boys when they were playing in a drum circle in AK. Unfortunately, I had to stop because I kept getting elbowed in the head while standing still!

The almost: We drove from Tampa to WDW during our last trip and I wanted to get DS's reaction to driving through the purple gates. DH pulled up "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow" on the iPod, and I turned around, and DS was once again snoring.

We didn't tape any rides, though.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have made clear that I can turn my screen off and still record. Thats what I meant when I said I dont often use the screen. I hate it when Im watching a show or riding a ride and all you see are little screens lit up everywhere! I like to record because, unlike many here, we dont get to go very often and it really helps if you need a park fix. Btw, the most screens I see are phones. You're at Disney World, what the heck could be so important that you cant ignore that little idiot box for a while! Grrrrrrrrr! Rant complete.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    Any video taping we have done has never been during a show or on a ride. We would video our children meeting characters and such.

I do see what you are saying though, last year we were watching the Lion King at AK and I had to keep re-adjusting and looking around the video camera of the woman in front of me who held her camera up over her head video taping the whole show. Now that tablets are so popular it only makes it worse.
    I have to add that I am very grateful to those of you who videotape responsibly with an awareness of the people around you, and I can only assume that most of you tapers here are considerate. So my apologies if I sounded brusque or judgy.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet, just lots of pictures. I hope to get some video this year.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I think the real question here is do you enjoy taking the videos and and doing the production work afterwards?
    Mrs. Bus Driver, I really don't enjoy the videotaping. But I do, however, enjoy the productions work afterwards. I love having a DVD to re-live the vacation. I would be heartbroken if I didn't have some moments captured on tape to experience again. But I also realize that on days when I bring the camera with us, it's a chore.

In response to some other posts, I, too, video responsibly. I am very aware -- as is my wife -- if my flip-screen is a possible distraction. If either of us believe it is, I record the old-fashioned way -- through the view finder. I also never videotape if I've just been instructed "No Videotaping."
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I think my husband recorded the NYE fireworks, but we really don't do a lot of videotaping (possibly not any aside from those fireworks). I like to live in the moment and not worry about getting a good shot. My husband LOVES to take photos, and I sometimes feel like he misses a lot of our vacation because of it--BUT he really enjoys it, so maybe where I feel like he's missing the experience, he feels he's enhancing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't video, haven't used the video camera in many, many years. I've even stopped taking so many pictures as I feel that I've been missing the beauty of the parks because I've been so busy trying to get that "perfect shot".
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: