Quantcast Dining Plan Price Increases 2013

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining Plan Price Increases 2013

I was just reading about the dining plan price increases for next year- forgive me if there is already a thread on it. Holy cow, it has gone up! I expect some price increases from year to year, but...

Quick-Service Dining Plan
    $37.58 per night ages 10 and up
    $14.32 per night age 3 to 9
    2012 was $34.99 and $11.99.

Standard Dining Plan:
    $55.59 per night ages 10 and up
    $17.16 per night age 3 to 9
    2012 was $51.54 and $15.02.

Deluxe Dining Plan:
    $99.97 per night ages 10 and up
    $26.84 per night ages 3 to 9
    2012 was $85.52 and $23.79.

The Deluxe plan increase is especially jarring. And these are prices for Regular and Value Season- Peak is more expensive. I'm kind of gobsmacked considering the Dining Plan seems to offer less every year. I can't see how this will remain a good choice for consumers, unless dining prices are going up that much across the board (also a possibility).

This post is brought to you by someone who rarely checks prices and considers vacation a time to make memories and not pause on pricetags. So... either, if I'm surprised, others will be outraged. Or, I'm just catching up to what others have already found to be over the top.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it shocking? Yet, people keep buying it!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Isn't it shocking? Yet, people keep buying it!
    Yes. I remember paying around $40 (or less) when it started and I guess I just didn't realize it had gone up that much. Last time I went, we had free dining and the time before, I went without the plan. So now I'm catching up and kind of shocked. When they eliminated the tip and appetizer from the regular plan, I thought it was less of a deal but it still didn't surprise me. This time, they got me.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they have so many people who just plain always add the dining plan that they figure those guests will continue to do so without noticing the % price increase. There's hardly a 'Dining Plan' discussion on Intercot that goes by without at least a few people who say they just prefer to have it paid ahead of time even if the DP costs them more than OOP so I'm sure that view makes up a sizable number of guests. If they're always going to get it anyway, increase away (so the thinking would go).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I wonder if they have so many people who just plain always add the dining plan that they figure those guests will continue to do so without noticing the % price increase. There's hardly a 'Dining Plan' discussion on Intercot that goes by without at least a few people who say they just prefer to have it paid ahead of time even if the DP costs them more than OOP so I'm sure that view makes up a sizable number of guests. If they're always going to get it anyway, increase away (so the thinking would go).
    I wondered that, too. Or if maybe it makes Free Dining seem like more of a value, so people keep going for it? Because we all know (even if we love a good free dining plan) that getting a room discount is usually a better deal. But this way, people still think, "wow, a room discount is good, but I've got to eat and that's saving me $55 a day per person," even though the pricing is insane when you break it down.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

That's freakin' crazy!! Wow! We've actually just been lucky and the last 5 times we've been down we've had to stay at Value resorts due to $$ and we have always lucked into free dining so it was a really nice benefit for us but even back when it was $40/pp per day I don't think I would have paid for it... Now I am SURE I will never pay for it!

Room discounts only for me from now on if we are staying at anything above a value level...
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I wondered that, too. Or if maybe it makes Free Dining seem like more of a value, so people keep going for it? Because we all know (even if we love a good free dining plan) that getting a room discount is usually a better deal. But this way, people still think, "wow, a room discount is good, but I've got to eat and that's saving me $55 a day per person," even though the pricing is insane when you break it down.
    I think that sums it up perfectly. Raise room rates, raise ticket prices, raise DDP and then offer it "free".....they will come. Great marketing ploy IMO.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Disney makes huge profits off the Dining plan. And they don't lose any money by offering free dining either. Expect them to keep pushing the envelope on price until it reaches a "breaking" point. Obviously, it hasn't gotten there yet.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much they actually reimburse the restaurants for a TS credit?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I think this is true. I just recently went to WDW with friends. I have a Tables in Wonderland card I could have used for all of us. We had lunch at Columbia Harbor House where they bought 2 adult meals and 2 kids and dinner at Boma (3 adults and 2 kids). They paid $176.64 without tip for 3 adults (include child over 10) and 1 child.

If they had paid out of pocket and used my TIW discount for dinner. Lunch would have been about $40. Dinner without tip would be $103.00 for a total of $143. They did also get a snack that day but they also had to pay OOP for their drinks at dinner.

They just liked the convenience of prepay and everything on their room key.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what everyone is saying. People like convenience and not having to worry about things. If folks just sat and spent some time pricing everything out they would see that the DDP is not necessarily a good deal, even when it is offered for free. With these price increases it really does beg for one to sit down and do the math.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I was just reading about the dining plan price increases for next year- forgive me if there is already a thread on it. Holy cow, it has gone up! I expect some price increases from year to year, but...

Quick-Service Dining Plan
    $37.58 per night ages 10 and up
    $14.32 per night age 3 to 9
    2012 was $34.99 and $11.99.

Standard Dining Plan:
    $55.59 per night ages 10 and up
    $17.16 per night age 3 to 9
    2012 was $51.54 and $15.02.

Deluxe Dining Plan:
    $99.97 per night ages 10 and up
    $26.84 per night ages 3 to 9
    2012 was $85.52 and $23.79.

The Deluxe plan increase is especially jarring. And these are prices for Regular and Value Season- Peak is more expensive. I'm kind of gobsmacked considering the Dining Plan seems to offer less every year. I can't see how this will remain a good choice for consumers, unless dining prices are going up that much across the board (also a possibility).
    This post is brought to you by someone who rarely checks prices and considers vacation a time to make memories and not pause on pricetags. So... either, if I'm surprised, others will be outraged. Or, I'm just catching up to what others have already found to be over the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I think that sums it up perfectly. Raise room rates, raise ticket prices, raise DDP and then offer it "free".....they will come. Great marketing ploy IMO.
    Just look at the prices WDW charges for buffets now. Say thay raise the price for Chef Mickey's or Ohana to be around $42 pp next year. Then your QS and snack only need to add up to $12.50 to break even. If you're a family who goes to a lot of buffets or Character meals, then the DDP may not look so bad.

We rarely eat at buffets or character meals, but for a lot of people, based on the ADRs I see posted here, they eat at one of these restaurants per day.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem is that dining plan or no dining plan, table service meals at Disney are just ridiculously priced. It makes it hard for the average person to really have anything like an affordable vacation. We're going in September and got "free" dining, so I booked a lot of table service meals. But REALLY...I just went out for supper on Friday to a very nice hotel in my area and had an absolutely STELLAR buffet - prime rib and all the fixin's - for $22 per person. Then I think about paying $40 for bacon and eggs at Chef Mickey's? INSANE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    If you're a family who goes to a lot of buffets or Character meals, then the DDP may not look so bad.
    Yes, character buffets are the only reason the DDP used to make sense for my group of 5.
    Now I don't think I'd take the DDP even if it were "free" and I *certainly* wouldn't pay those prices!

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow!!!! seeing prices like that it justifies DBF and I's thoughts about ddp not saving money. we did the ddp twice two years in a row to do the math to see of it saved money and that was 6 years ago and was substantially cheaper than that and it didn't save us money then. No idea how that would even come close now.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Free dining seems to be offered longer. I wonder if the increase has anything to do with that. Those who pay will be paying more to offset the cost of the free offers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the "heads up", SBETigg! I will no longer blindly do the ddp! I will do the math!!!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I think the problem is that dining plan or no dining plan, table service meals at Disney are just ridiculously priced. It makes it hard for the average person to really have anything like an affordable vacation. We're going in September and got "free" dining, so I booked a lot of table service meals. But REALLY...I just went out for supper on Friday to a very nice hotel in my area and had an absolutely STELLAR buffet - prime rib and all the fixin's - for $22 per person. Then I think about paying $40 for bacon and eggs at Chef Mickey's? INSANE
    Unfortunately I think that's food prices in any major theme park. We went to Carowinds, a local theme park, about a year ago. For two of us a counter service lunch of chicken fingers, fries and soft drinks cost us $40ish, and it was awful .

Disney is right on par with other theme parks when it comes to food.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining Plan Prices

I wish they would continue to raise the prices so people wouldn't get them. I'm very tired of waiting in lines behind people on the dining plan, who have no clue and don't decide until they are at the register and have to ask every person in the party. Otherwise, Disney should have a separate line for them, so people paying at the register can order and get their food, while they poder their options. Then when they are done realize that they also get a dessert, and start all over again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the other micki View Post
    Thanks for the "heads up", SBETigg! I will no longer blindly do the ddp! I will do the math!!!
    I agree. We did the math years ago and it worked out for us then, but it's not the same plan now. Though, as Christine points out, meal prices have gone up, too. It might still work out for some dining styles. Always do the math.
    Sherri

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: