Quantcast POR Murphy beds??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR Murphy beds??

Sorry if this has been talked about on here, but I was wondering if ALL preferred rooms have the murphy bed in them?

Thanks in advance.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sIrishPAl View Post
    Sorry if this has been talked about on here, but I was wondering if ALL preferred rooms have the murphy bed in them?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes - as I believe all preferred rooms are in the Alligator Bayou section and again I believe all AB rooms come with the murphy bed feature.

Unless you are a party of 5, my understanding is that the only way to guarantee a murphy bed is to book a preferred location room (which would be in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27).

A party of 5 would be guaranteed a Murphy bed but not necessarily a preferred room.

We were fortunate to get building 18 several years ago before Disney slapped the preferred label on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you are talking about Murphy beds? I thought POR had trundle beds to handle a party of 5. Murphy beds drop down from a closet or wall pocket. I didn't think POR (or POFQ) had done this extensive of a remodel.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

POR used to have trundle beds, but in the recent update the trundles were replaced with murphy bed on top of the bench seating.

They are a bit smaller than the old trundle beds, but still a good place for a child.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Are you sure you are talking about Murphy beds? I thought POR had trundle beds to handle a party of 5. Murphy beds drop down from a closet or wall pocket. I didn't think POR (or POFQ) had done this extensive of a remodel.
    If you think of the old set ups in the moderates, where they used the large armoire with tv area on the top and dresser drawers on the bottom, that has been replaced. In its place they basically have a themed bench, sort of looks like it would be part of a large shipping crate. The Murphy bed folds down and covers the bench. A flat screen tv is placed on the wall above the Murphy bed. There are 3 storage drawers under the Murphy bed that look accessible when the bed is up, but probably not so much when the bed is down.

While the new theming looks really nice and the beds are upgraded to queens, the one noticeable downside is storage space. Families, especially larger ones, will have to be a bit more creative with where they store stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    If you think of the old set ups in the moderates, where they used the large armoire with tv area on the top and dresser drawers on the bottom, that has been replaced. In its place they basically have a themed bench, sort of looks like it would be part of a large shipping crate. The Murphy bed folds down and covers the bench. A flat screen tv is placed on the wall above the Murphy bed. There are 3 storage drawers under the Murphy bed that look accessible when the bed is up, but probably not so much when the bed is down.

While the new theming looks really nice and the beds are upgraded to queens, the one noticeable downside is storage space. Families, especially larger ones, will have to be a bit more creative with where they store stuff.
    We just came from spending 2 weeks at POR building 14.

That has been our FAVORITE resort to stay at but now I am not so sure. After they refurbished the rooms, the storage space is almost non existant

There are 5 in my family and my 12 year old daughter barely fit on the murphy bed. They have a total of 3 small drawers (4 if you count the one in between the beds which we had to use) and you can't use the space under the beds anymore because, for some dumb reason, they have it blocked off! Thankfully I knew this ahead of time and brought 2 of those sweater hanger things you put in the closet. It was a very tight squeeze and I'm not sure if we will end up going there again which is unfortunate because that was our "home"
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by We LOVE Disney View Post
    We just came from spending 2 weeks at POR building 14.

That has been our FAVORITE resort to stay at but now I am not so sure. After they refurbished the rooms, the storage space is almost non existant

There are 5 in my family and my 12 year old daughter barely fit on the murphy bed. They have a total of 3 small drawers (4 if you count the one in between the beds which we had to use) and you can't use the space under the beds anymore because, for some dumb reason, they have it blocked off! Thankfully I knew this ahead of time and brought 2 of those sweater hanger things you put in the closet. It was a very tight squeeze and I'm not sure if we will end up going there again which is unfortunate because that was our "home"
    Unfortunately you've confirmed my biggest concern. Just looking at some photos on line of the refurbished rooms, I just kept thinking, where are we going to put stuff? I guess we'll find out in about 130 days. I also read about the tip about bringing sweater hangers and I think we'll have to do that at well.

I love the look of the new rooms, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they intentionally removed so much storage space. Even the wall hooks under the shelves looked like they might not be fully usable as they hang over other furniture.

Pre refurbishment I don't recall if you could put anything under the beds or not. One always had the trundle, so you couldn't there, I just don't recall us ever putting anything under the 2nd bed.

Thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of storage space was definitely noticeable when the 6 of us (2 adults and 4 kids - 1 of them under 2) stayed there in April. We got along fine though just placing suitcases in strategic spots in the closet and on the A/C unit. We usually avoid using the drawers too much anyway due to my fear of leaving something there (same with under the bed).

3 months since the trip and in hindsight it wasn't really a big deal.
    April 2000 -- ASMu
    November 2004 -- ASMo (First time with kids)
    September 2005 -- Pop
    September 2007 -- Pop
    January 2009 -- POR
    April 2012 -- POR (Cramming 6 people in one room)
    July 2014 -- Pop (12 days in Disney)

Post Thanks / Like

Ah....you learn something new every day!! Didn't know about the changes during the refurb. Thanks for clearing that up.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    POR used to have trundle beds, but in the recent update the trundles were replaced with murphy bed on top of the bench seating.

They are a bit smaller than the old trundle beds, but still a good place for a child.
    Part of the refurb was to replace the double beds with queen-sized beds, and so there was no longer space for a trundle to fit between the bed and the wall.

We're heading to POR in November, and are anxious to see the new rooms in AB, which is where we always stay because of the number of people in our party. We're going to packed in tight....two rooms, six adults, four kids. Oy!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Unfortunately you've confirmed my biggest concern. Just looking at some photos on line of the refurbished rooms, I just kept thinking, where are we going to put stuff? I guess we'll find out in about 130 days. I also read about the tip about bringing sweater hangers and I think we'll have to do that at well.

I love the look of the new rooms, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they intentionally removed so much storage space. Even the wall hooks under the shelves looked like they might not be fully usable as they hang over other furniture.

Pre refurbishment I don't recall if you could put anything under the beds or not. One always had the trundle, so you couldn't there, I just don't recall us ever putting anything under the 2nd bed.

Thanks for the update.
    Before the refurbishment you could put things under the bed that didn't have the trundle. That's where we would keep our empty suitcases (and stored our dirty clothes in those suitcases). This year, I brought a pop up hamper for the dirty clothes because I knew we would have to store our suitcases in the van (thankfully we didn't fly so we were able to use our van for more storage )

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Part of the refurb was to replace the double beds with queen-sized beds, and so there was no longer space for a trundle to fit between the bed and the wall.

We're heading to POR in November, and are anxious to see the new rooms in AB, which is where we always stay because of the number of people in our party. We're going to packed in tight....two rooms, six adults, four kids. Oy!
    You will be tight but we were able to make it work. Just bring enough hangers or whatever for all of your clothes! We brought extra hangers, an over the door shoe hanger for all of the toiletries (which we had to hang in the "closet" because when I put it on the bathroom door, the door would not shut), pop up hamper and TWO of those hanging shelf things you use for sweaters. We had ALL of the drawers (which are only 3 very small and the VERY small one in between the beds), every single shelf and every "shelf" on the 2 sweater holders. We even used the 3 hooks which are now above the coffee maker so not much hanging room. One thing about the drawers is that when the bed is pulled down out of the wall, you can still get to the drawers but it's a pretty tight and annoying thing!

Like I said before, and as you can tell on my signature line, we LOVE POR alligator bayou section! Always felt safe and comfortable there (always got a room by the main building so kids could go by themself....which they now charge extra for-to be close to the main building ). However, we may just have to look into getting something bigger which means more money which, unfortunately, means probably not anytime soon

I'm sorry that I sound like a Debbie Downer here but I just can't understand what they were thinking when they designed this refurbishment! I mean, there's not that many affordable rooms a family of 5 (or more) can stay at and this was one of the MANY few of them. So we got a few cosmetic changes, slightly bigger beds and a LOT LESS storage......that's it! I just don't get it......

I think the next time someone wants to refurbish something they should come up with the design, maybe refurbish 1 room or however they need to do this but "make" 1 room and have a real family stay in it. Then that family can give pros and cons of it in order to help them refurbish rooms to make people happy.
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian