Quantcast Cabana Bay Beach Resort Coming to Universal Orlando

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabana Bay Beach Resort Coming to Universal Orlando

Universal Orlando Announces A New On-Site Hotel

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT ANNOUNCES A NEW SPECTACULARLY THEMED ON-SITE HOTEL DEVELOPMENT

New Hotel Will Add 1,800 On-Site Suites and Standard Rooms

ORLANDO, Fla. (July 9, 2012)– Universal Parks & Resorts and Loews Hotels & Resorts will build a new hotel development at Universal Orlando that will add high-quality, high-value options for families wanting an affordable on-site experience.

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort will offer two distinct experiences within the development's multiple buildings: 900 family suites, capable of sleeping six, that include kitchen areas and 900 standard guest rooms - offering both moderate- and value-priced accommodations. It will be operated by Loews Hotels & Resorts and is scheduled to open in 2014.

The hotel will be themed differently than anything else currently available at Universal Orlando. It will evoke the driving vacations so many Americans grew up enjoying with their families - spending time at sweeping motor courts just off the highway, where families relaxed and played after a long day's drive. The new hotel's hip, vintage look will be accented with bold design, dramatic, clean lines, bright, period colors and touches of neon. Inside areas including the lobby, dining areas and large, comfortable rooms will follow suit. The hotel will have two themed pool areas.

"Our new hotel will give guests an affordable, incredibly themed on-site hotel experience unlike anything else at our resort," said Tom Williams, chairman and chief executive officer, Universal Parks & Resorts. "Our new family suites and family-value pricing will give our guests on-site options they've never had before."

The hotel will be built on a 37-acre site within Universal Orlando Resort and adjacent to Universal's Islands of Adventure - just off Hollywood Way and Turkey Lake Road. Site work will begin soon. Pricing information, opening timeframes and room on-sale dates will be released over time.

The new hotel will allow families to choose between value pricing or the higher level of benefits and service that come with staying at other on-site Universal Orlando hotels - Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, the Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort. It will provide early park admission, proximity to Universal's Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios and resort-wide charging privileges - but will not offer complimentary Universal Express Unlimited Access.

"The Cabana Bay Beach Resort furthers our goal of operating special and distinct properties in important markets," said Paul Whetsell, Loews Hotels & Resorts president and CEO. "This is another important step in our plan to expand the Loews system in major markets across the United States."

About Universal Orlando Resort
    There are many ways to enjoy your Orlando vacation, but there is only one place where vacation becomes adventure: Universal Orlando Resort. It is a unique destination featuring two theme parks, three magnificently themed on-site hotels and a nighttime entertainment complex. It's the only Orlando destination where you are not just entertained - you become part of the most exhilarating entertainment ever created. You can soar above Hogwarts with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man, battle aliens alongside Agent J, and help Shrek save Princess Fiona in Shrek 4-D. And now open: the new, heart-warming and hilarious Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride.

Universal Orlando Resort is an NBCUniversal company.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Artist renderings.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

It looks and sounds neat, but I find it interesting that they announce this when AoA is opening. And to me it sounds like they are kind of copying AoA.

Oh, well it still looks nice, but not sure about the 60's looking decor.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice, but I agree, not sure about the theming. We always stay onsite for the use of the unlimited express passes, which to me, are like gold when it's crowded. But since they're not offering that here, I think we'll have to pass, and continue with the Royal Pacific.
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymom4ever View Post
    But since they're not offering that here, I think we'll have to pass, and continue with the Royal Pacific.
    It's interesting that the Express Pass won't be offered here.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the 4th hotel I hinted at a while ago... Looks beautiful!!!! Nothing like AoA.... Not cartoony like AoA... This will be popular with families... Just the shot in the arm Universal Orlando needed!! Let the expansion begin!!!! Next up: SS44 announcement...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to have another choice! We love staying onsite at Universal. I have always been impressed with the Loews hotels.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Eh...

Not impressed. Sounds like they are trying to copycat Disney through and through.

And, I really don't see how this 60's motor inn theme is relevant at all. Disney is using a lot of this style lately at Carsland and AoA, but it's relevant to the theme of Cars.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I was expecting something COMPLETELY different when I read "Cabana Bay BEACH Resort."

And, the no Universal Express is sort of a slap in the face, if you ask me. It would be like the Disney Value resorts not being eligible for Magical Express...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    but will not offer complimentary Universal Express Unlimited Access.
    This one line is why we won't ever stay there. The main perk (at least for my family) of staying at a Universal Resort is the unlimited Express Pass. Without it, we'll gladly stay at one of the other Universal Resorts.

I see a few people feel they are copying Disney. It doesn't remind me at all of Art of Animation, other than that it's a family suite and will sleep 6. It looks like a nice place, but I'm not interested unless they include Express Pass.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Again, not sure why, but I find it most interesting there will be no complimentary Express Pass. After the newness wears off, I know I personally would choose one of the other on-site hotels over this one for that perk alone. Unless things are getting ready to change.....

ETA: You and I were posting at the same time Denise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymom4ever View Post
    Looks nice, but I agree, not sure about the theming. We always stay onsite for the use of the unlimited express passes, which to me, are like gold when it's crowded. But since they're not offering that here, I think we'll have to pass, and continue with the Royal Pacific.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    This one line is why we won't ever stay there. The main perk (at least for my family) of staying at a Universal Resort is the unlimited Express Pass. Without it, we'll gladly stay at one of the other Universal Resorts.

I see a few people feel they are copying Disney. It doesn't remind me at all of Art of Animation, other than that it's a family suite and will sleep 6. It looks like a nice place, but I'm not interested unless they include Express Pass.
    Again, not sure why, but I find it most interesting there will be no complimentary Express Pass. After the newness wears off, I know I personally would choose one of the other on-site hotels over this one for that perk alone. Unless things are getting ready to change.....

ETA: You and I were posting at the same time Denise!

I'm shocked they're not including this perk -- to me it's the single biggest reason to stay at a Universal hotel.

I too won't be staying here without that incentive. I can guarantee that the amount we would save over staying at the Royal Pacific wouldn't make up the difference in buying Express Passes for our family.

Of course, the diner/bowling alley decor doesn't really appeal to me either.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless things are getting ready to change.....
    Do you think they may be getting ready to discontinue the Express Pass across the board, Mel? I hadn't thought about that.

It would be ashamed since we just discovered how wonderful it is to stay at a Universal Resort. I'd hate for it to change before we've had a chance to stay at Universal a few more times. It would make me think twice about staying at a Universal resort again. While the resorts are wonderful, and you can't beat being able to walk to everything, the Express Pass is a MAJOR selling point for my family. Without it not sure we'd stay at a Universal Resort again, or at least not as often as we would with the pass.

I guess only time will tell what's going on there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I'd stay at a Universal hotel is because of the Express Pass option. Up until now, the cost of the rooms has been prohibitive because we are a family of six and need two rooms. When I first read the headline, I was really excited. After further review, we'll pass.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Eh...

And, the no Universal Express is sort of a slap in the face, if you ask me. It would be like the Disney Value resorts not being eligible for Magical Express...
    This doesn't shock me. Unlike Disney, Universal does not start with the premise that every guest is created equal (even Disney is moving away from that premise --see "free dining tiered offers" -- but they have a more difficult time marketing-wise moving to a system where they treat guests differently based on money spent). At Universal, from the beginning, you definitely pay for any perk you receive.

The only thing that shocks me a bit is Loew's running more of a value hotel.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see them copying Disney. To tell the truth there is no reason to copy Disney when it comes to the hotels. Loew's Hotels are superior to anything that Disney has.

I love the theme and and find it does go with the Studio's "Old Hollywood" area of the park. Look at Mel's Drive Inn, Schwab"s Pharmacy, I Love Lucy and the Sunset Drive sections of the park. The "road trip" theme fits in perfect with that era.

I will not be staying here also because it is not offering the free Express Pass, but I will be spending some time looking around after it is built.

I am taking a guess here but maybe they are not offering it because either the hotel prices are going to be too inexpensive and they want to get these families to spend more money somehow OR maybe they don't want to flood the express pass lines with more people. The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "oh no more people in the express lines. If they keep building hotels, after a while having the Express Pass means nothing (then people will stop buying them), kind of like getting a Fast Pass to Rockin Roller Coaster and waiting 45 mins in line anyway.

I have a feeling if the hotel doesn't fill up they will raise the prices a little and include the Express Pass.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Here I was thinking, hey, finally a cheaper option! But without the express pass, this seems pretty pointless to me. If I'm staying at a Universal resort, I want the perks that come with it. Otherwise, I'll stay cheaper just off property.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ischyros View Post
    Here I was thinking, hey, finally a cheaper option! But without the express pass, this seems pretty pointless to me. If I'm staying at a Universal resort, I want the perks that come with it. Otherwise, I'll stay cheaper just off property.
    I'm not going to Universal without going to Disney, so therefore I'll be in Orlando for a week if I do both. The only way I'll stay onsite at Universal is to get the free fast pass, or whatever you call it, otherwise I'll stay at WDW and just drive to Universal to avoid having to change hotel rooms.

To me, not offering the pass for this hotel is a major mistake, its not somewhere I'll be staying because of that.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that everyone who plans a trip to Universal knows about the front of the line access?

For those who aren't knowledgeable, they might choose the stay based on the dollars and room size feeling like they're getting a bargain. Even if folks pay the additional money for the front of the line access, they might not realize they could have had it included if they selected a different resort - just conjecture on my part especially since I still hear folks at Disney say things like "You have to pay extra for that" when referring to Fast Pass or have no clue at all about Fast Pass even when the instructions are clearly spelled out in every guidemap one picks up as one enters the park.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    This doesn't shock me. Unlike Disney, Universal does not start with the premise that every guest is created equal (even Disney is moving away from that premise --see "free dining tiered offers" -- but they have a more difficult time marketing-wise moving to a system where they treat guests differently based on money spent). At Universal, from the beginning, you definitely pay for any perk you receive.

The only thing that shocks me a bit is Loew's running more of a value hotel.
    Wait what??? Disney treats each guest equal???? Where??? Liek anywhere, you want perks, you pay for them, just like in Disney... Monoral resorts are much more expensive than non-monorail resorts... You pay for the perk...

You want express pass in Universal, pay for the perk... This resort is going to be "value"... They don't have to add Express Pass onto the room price... They are giving families a cheaper room rate to stay on property...

This isn't about treating guests different... This is about offering guests different things for the money paid... Pay more, get more... That is just business in the U.S.....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    I'm not going to Universal without going to Disney, so therefore I'll be in Orlando for a week if I do both. The only way I'll stay onsite at Universal is to get the free fast pass, or whatever you call it, otherwise I'll stay at WDW and just drive to Universal to avoid having to change hotel rooms.

To me, not offering the pass for this hotel is a major mistake, its not somewhere I'll be staying because of that.
    Express Pas is rarely needed... The rides eat up enough people to not need express pass... And they do a good job getting people into and out of the ride... If I have a choice of a value resort or an expensive resort with the express pass price included in the hotel stay, I just may choose the value resort...

Would everyone be saying the same thing if and when Disney charges for Fast Pass???? Or only offers the Fast Pass perk to those staying in Deluxe of DVC and shuns the value and moderates????

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: