Quantcast New Baby Boy!!! When to go to WDW?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Baby Boy!!! When to go to WDW?

Haven't been on here for a while because we my wife and I just had our first child, a boy, who turned 2 weeks old today. And guess what we are already itching to take him to WDW can't wait.

However we do recognize that taking an infant may not be the best idea. So in your opinion when is the best time to take him for his first trip??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Six months young enough to travel, old enough to enjoy the colors and riding in the stroller...the baby centers in each park are wonderful...a we loved the one in AK the best for our granddaughter. She was 9 months and loved the fireworks and still does...five trips and she is 5-1/2!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Our 1st son was 1 yr & 6 days old on his first trip to Disney. His big sister was almost 4. Our 2nd son was 14 months-old on his first trip, and our younger daughter was 15 months-old. We felt like 1 was a great age to start taking the kids, because they were weaned but still taking one bottle a night and could eat some small table foods (I didn't need to take baby food with us.) They did still need an afternoon nap, but would sleep fine in the stroller during the morning if they got tired. My youngest 2 even got their first haircuts at Disney. And I know people will say that they're too young to remember, which is true, but they were a part of *my* memories of the trip, which is just as special. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, and the pictures are priceless!
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

A lot depends on if you want to go so he will have memories of a wonderful trip to WDW or if you want to enjoy a trip for you with him.

Our DS was nine months when we took him. He enjoyed the rides and the lights but his only memory is through pictures. The only reason we went with such a young child is because our older son was four and a perfect age to go. Our baby enjoyed a day at Chuck E Cheese just as much.

I think you could go with a child as young as just a few months old. It would be super fun and they look cute in the pictures. You would be kidding yourselves if you though it was a trip for him.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

You'll hear people talking about every age as the okay age to take children. I think it totally depends on your child. Some children are very social and would enjoy all the hustle and bustle of Disney. Other children are more sensitive to noise and activity. In that case, I wouldn't take that child until he or she is older. Personally I don't like taking a child under a year because of the germ factor. That's a lot of bombardment for a new immune system to deal with. But, like I said, it'll depend mostly on the temperament of your child. It's possible to do WDW with a child at any age,
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you usually visit? Will it be several years before your next trip? I don't think there is a "perfect" age other than the perfect age for your family.

Both of mine were around 7-8 months for their first trip, mainly because we are local and go multiple times a year. Both of my children enjoyed the trips. I have lots of memories and pictures, but the kids don't really remember those trips. Other than the stuff you have to lug with you, a child under 2 was very easy. Baby Centers are fabulous. Usually your baby will nap, be easy going, enjoy the lights and they don't have opinions yet. They may also be cranky and startled or upset by the loud noises.

Toddler age has different challenges. They are mobile, still need naps and have opinions which means your plans for what to do need to be flexible. If your child is not afraid, this is a great age for characters. Mine asked to do specific things and understood they were going to "Disney". This is also the age fear may start. Now I have a preschooler (DD4) and school-ager (DS6). Both children love to go.They frequently ask when the next trip is. The preschooler still needs breaks and naps. The DS is starting to get over fears and wants to do more. Strollers are almost a thing of the past.

I loved going with them at each age.

I have a friend who lives further away than me. She can only visit WDW ever 4-6 years because of other commitments. She choose to bring her daughter at 5. Her son just turned 5 and they are here now. For her, 5 is a great age because there is still the wonder and magic, but he is old enough to have memories.

So I guess I'm saying do what feels right to you. That's all that really matters.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

congrats!! we're new parents again too, dd will be 10 weeks old. I can't wait to take her to her first trip but it probably will not be until 2014. I loved taking our 13 month old son for his first trip but we went with a large group on a family vacation. Whenever you take him, make sure you get his first haircut at the barber shop! one of our most precious memories... he also had his first steps at DTD on the grassy spots near cirque and it was a great memory as well. everyone is different, but if it was me i would definitely wait until you have a good routine down, and your little one can at least enjoy some sights, and point out things. that's my opinion.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!!! How exciting!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

I was very fortunate to have easy, laid back babies. My first daughter did have a short bout of collick between 4 and 6 weeks. I do not think I would have been happy, even at the happiest place on earth, traveling with her to such a busy place.

With that being said, take them as often as you want to and as soon as you want to. The memories are for the parents until they are about 6 anyway. My children have been going for years, several times a year, and they do not remember much of the trips when they were younger. But I do and I would not trade it for the world!
    My kids are now 16, 19, and 22. I was visiting with friends the other night and they were discussing were they we're going for their family vacations this summer. I was the only one with older kids and I realized that time in my life is past. They are too busy with their jobs and life and school to plan a family vacation with ease.

I have loved every minute of it! Just do it.

Post Thanks / Like

We took DD when she was 10 months old. Since we flew down we had shipped a box of supplies directly to the hotel, diapers, wiped, formula, snacks, water etc to arrive a day before we were too. It worked so well for us & had only a hand full of diapers to bring back with us. Also used our own stroller where she took her naps in while at the parks.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Every child is different. Go when you think it's the right time. We took our daughter when she was 3 1/2. It was the right time for us

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think 4 1/2 is a great age. That's when my parents took me for my first time and I could actually remember it. Why take them when they will never remember?

Post Thanks / Like

I completely ignored the kid won't remember argument with my baby.. so glad I did. I also think most people on Intercot are "multiple trip people" and can't imagine waiting 4 years to go back.

I have the best memories of my 9 month old, squealing and clapping his hands every time a parade was coming at him. He was so happy the entire trip. The baby stations have every thing you need including nursing areas.

My only suggestion is don't go when it's blazing hot. We went in January and the temperatures were comfortable for a baby.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: