Quantcast WDW History - What other areas were under consideration?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW History - What other areas were under consideration?

Does anyone know where else Walt was looking other than central Florida? I know they spent a lot of time searching of the location of Disney World, but I've never heard of what other places were under consideration. Is this even public knowledge?
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Being from Louisiana, I've heard that they were looking in Louisiana. I think that there was an issue between the local politicians and Walt Disney in regard to serving alcohol at the MK. (Which wouldn't surprise me knowing the history of our state.)
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Married to the Mouse for a history of WDW. It's not smothered with Pixie Dust and goes into much of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing that got WDW off the ground.

I believe it was originally St. Louis, but the local govt made a comment that didn't sit well; that night Walt left town and looked elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I believe it was originally St. Louis, but the local govt made a comment that didn't sit well; that night Walt left town and looked elsewhere.
    The St. Louis project was never going to be as ambitious as WDW. It was going to be 5 or 10 city blocks in the middle of the city. The land would have been free under an urban renewal progect. This progect was ended when Walt turned to Florida for WDW.

Urban legend has it that Auggie Busch said something like, "anyone that doesn't sell beer at an amusement park must be crazy", and that ended the project. This cannot be confirmed.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Check out Married to the Mouse for a history of WDW. It's not smothered with Pixie Dust and goes into much of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing that got WDW off the ground.

I second this! If you're a Disney junkie, who especially is fascinated with the purchase of property to build this empire, then this is a must-read!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Not that this was supposed to replace WDW, as this was years later, but I remember some rumors of Disney wanting to put a theme park in Northern VA...history-themed? Anyone know the story of that?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Not that this was supposed to replace WDW, as this was years later, but I remember some rumors of Disney wanting to put a theme park in Northern VA...history-themed? Anyone know the story of that?
    Way past rumor, it would have been done if it were not for the local opposition. I have a pamphlet on the project and it would have been very cool.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plex View Post
    Does anyone know where else Walt was looking other than central Florida? I know they spent a lot of time searching of the location of Disney World, but I've never heard of what other places were under consideration. Is this even public knowledge?
    You should check out Project Future by Chad Emerson. It gives a VERY in depth history of the selection process.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I think I remember,10-20 yrs ago, I heard rumors about a seasonal Disney park in New York state someplace.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It would seem logical for them to build something big in the northeast US somewhere. Just look at the globe at the exit of spaceship earth! I know I'd have an AP for sure
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plex View Post
    It would seem logical for them to build something big in the northeast US somewhere. Just look at the globe at the exit of spaceship earth! I know I'd have an AP for sure
    I`ve read Married to the Mouse several times, and while Walt did consider building something at Niagara Falls, he was scared off by the fact that he wanted a more wholesome image for his employees than seasonal carnies.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this is fact or myth, but I believe they had plans (and may still have plans) for a ski resort.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I'm not sure if this is fact or myth, but I believe they had plans (and may still have plans) for a ski resort.
    Mineral King in California -- Environmentalists killed that one. Would have been cool -- Country Bear Jamboree was designed for that project

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great question!!

In regards to other theme park location rumors,
    I have heard rumors circulating for years that they are thinking about putting a theme park (possibly water park) here in south Florida(really south, just north of the keys) Apparently the rumors have been running for 20+ years....no theme park or water park.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

When we were in Panama City, we had heard rumors that Disney was intending to open a water park there.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

W24toISMdirect thank you for the link. Great read as someone who grew up walking distance to Knotts (Dad proposed to Mom across the street) I always like to hear a little history of Knotts as well as disney.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Urban legend has it that Auggie Busch said something like, "anyone that doesn't sell beer at an amusement park must be crazy", and that ended the project. This cannot be confirmed.
    Now he's dead, AB is owned by a foreign corp, some of the best cocktails are sold at WDW, and I'm 1500 miles away fom the fun!

Thanks a ton auggie.

GO CARDS!
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

There were rumors in the late 80s that Disney was seriously scouting out property near San Antonio, TX. The warm weather, proximity to the 3 of the top 10 largest cities( Houston, San Antonio and Dallas), cheap property values and the location midway between Orlando and Anaheim were supposed to be the driving factors. It never materilized but we did end up getting a Sea World and a Six Flags.

I guess we lost out. Its 1200 miles to Orlando from here in San Antonio, I've been to WDW 3 times in the last 4 years and haven't been to Sea World or Six Flags in the past 15 years.
    Last edited by Prosdog; 06-29-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added Comment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    Great question!!

In regards to other theme park location rumors,
    I have heard rumors circulating for years that they are thinking about putting a theme park (possibly water park) here in south Florida(really south, just north of the keys) Apparently the rumors have been running for 20+ years....no theme park or water park.
    I have heard the same thing too. It would have been nice. I also heard for years that the original Disney location was suppose to be Homestead. Instead they bought in Orlando.. Also would have been nice. Im kind of glad it didnt happen. The parks would have taken a horrible hit with Hurricane Andrew in 92...

It would be awesome if they opened something in the Keys like they did in Hawaii. i think it would be an awesome hit down in the Keys.. Lots of water sports
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: