Quantcast Say Good Bye to Camp Minnie Mickey

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Say Good Bye to Camp Minnie Mickey

Well, the days of CMM are slowly being numbered... Not only are the kiosks where the meet and greets going to get shut down and removed (once Beastly Bazaar is turned into the indoor meet and greet), but Lion King is now RUMORED to be leaving CMM aand moving into Africa...

Does this mean a physical move or just a new pathway created leading from Africa to Lion King, I don't know... Moving it was a plan associated with Avatar... But, whether the plan is to still move it to Africa, or leave it where it is and just add a new entrance I don't know...

More and more it looks like they are getting ready for... Pandora on Earth...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That would make a lot of sense to move the lion king show to Africa. Maybe like you said a different path will be created.
    What are the plans for the Avatar area? Does anyone know?
    As long as they don't touch the store I worked in I am all good! island Merc is the best!
    Before I had kids I have to be honest I never went into camp Minnie Mickey. If I did it was to just see the lion king. With kids I just found it to be a walk out of the way. Having it where beastly baazar is would be better.

Oh well it is still sad to see it change but I know it has to.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, no concept art has been released yet but, according to some in the know... the idea for an entire land is not really going to happen... Probably 1 ride, a merchandise store, and a restaurant... and the "land" not being as massive as one would think... And the ride??? Only a copy of Soarin, which, in my opinion, would be a fail... I do believe these people who has said this, they are close connections and are reliable... But of course, who knows??? I would hope Cameron, the perfectionist that he is, would tell Disney to do something more creative and advanced than just Soarin 2.0..

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

While I won't personally miss CMM in the slightest, I do sincerely hope your sources turn out to be wrong about what you describe to now be a very scaled back version of the whole Avatar thing (a ride, a store, and a restaurant). And if its really only going to be one ride, that ride needs to be completely amazing (something on the "plus side" of Universal's Harry Potter (which is crazy fun)) or it (Avatar) will indeed be a fail in my eyes too.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

"Good Bye."

I don't care for CMM at all. The Lion King show is great, but it can be moved anywhere else in the park for all I care. I think that area would be a perfect place to put Avatarland as well, since I NEVER go down that way and I can easily avoid it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    "Good Bye."

I don't care for CMM at all. The Lion King show is great, but it can be moved anywhere else in the park for all I care. I think that area would be a perfect place to put Avatarland as well, since I NEVER go down that way and I can easily avoid it.
    The Lion King is the only reason we've been to CMM, of course we've never been with kids. So I don't know if our boys would miss it or not when we take them next year.

As long as they keep The Lion King......
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    While I won't personally miss CMM in the slightest, I do sincerely hope your sources turn out to be wrong about what you describe to now be a very scaled back version of the whole Avatar thing (a ride, a store, and a restaurant). And if its really only going to be one ride, that ride needs to be completely amazing (something on the "plus side" of Universal's Harry Potter (which is crazy fun)) or it (Avatar) will indeed be a fail in my eyes too.
    Believe me, I do hope the guy is wrong as well, but I trust him... He has been pin point accurate with everything he has let slip out so far (in fact, he mentioned long ago about Jaws being closed for more Potter, and we all laughed him off, and what happened??? Mind you, he told us this before last summer, when talks about more Potter centered around Lost Continent and NOT Jaws)... He tends to be very accurate..

But, that also doesn't mean he isn't being used by someone in the company to promote their own agenda... Politics in the WDC are worse than American politics... People within WDI will use their sources to try to crush someone's project just so their project can get the green light... it is a dirty business there in WDI...

So, while I do trust him (and he isn't the only one who has reported this, so have others who have deep connections), the final product is all we can go on since Disney can't be trusted with their announcements either... Beastly Kingdomme anyone???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    The Lion King is the only reason we've been to CMM, of course we've never been with kids. So I don't know if our boys would miss it or not when we take them next year.

As long as they keep The Lion King......
    The plans are to keep Lion King.. Just relocate it to Africa.. I'm trying to find out where in Africa they could locate it to... Something tells me it may wind up being only a new walkway, from Africa... The footprint for Lion King is huge...

Actually, looking at Google Maps, a new walkway wouldn't be feasible.. CMM and Lion King are too far from Africa in DAK... But there does appear to be a lot of unused area.. Just how much is for park infrastructure though, I don't know..

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a time frame as to when CMM is planning on closing?
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dyanna View Post
    Is there a time frame as to when CMM is planning on closing?
    My guess?? After the holidays.. probably January 2013 would be my estimate... I say that because they are going to need the capacity during that busy time of the year... And, i'm sure they are going to want to get Lion King re-open as quick as possible...

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at aerial photos, the Lion King show building and complex is pretty big, although not as big as the Finding Nemo (fka Tarzan Rocks) theater or the Dinosaur show building. I don't see any way they could move the FotLK complex to the Africa section of the park without building a completely new building. Moving the existing building would be time consuming and very expensive and would require the show be shut down for a long time. Building a new building for the show elsewhere in the park would also be very expensive, and given the rumors that WDC is cutting back on capital spending, I find it hard to hope that FotLK would be moved to another part of the park, although It would be a great fit in Harambe Village. I think they could find room for it, although it may require moving some other things around (again, costing even more $$$ making that more unlikely).

I think it's more likely that they might build a new entrance walkway (much less costly than moving the show) although it would create a LOOOONG walk from Harambe, from the northwestern part of the park along the western boundary to the south park of AK where FotLK is now located.

I just hope they keep FotLK operating, and not decide to close it to make make room for Pandora.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Looking at aerial photos, the Lion King show building and complex is pretty big, although not as big as the Finding Nemo (fka Tarzan Rocks) theater or the Dinosaur show building. I don't see any way they could move the FotLK complex to the Africa section of the park without building a completely new building. Moving the existing building would be time consuming and very expensive and would require the show be shut down for a long time. Building a new building for the show elsewhere in the park would also be very expensive, and given the rumors that WDC is cutting back on capital spending, I find it hard to hope that FotLK would be moved to another part of the park, although It would be a great fit in Harambe Village. I think they could find room for it, although it may require moving some other things around (again, costing even more $$$ making that more unlikely).

I think it's more likely that they might build a new entrance walkway (much less costly than moving the show) although it would create a LOOOONG walk from Harambe, from the northwestern part of the park along the western boundary to the south park of AK where FotLK is now located.

I just hope they keep FotLK operating, and not decide to close it to make make room for Pandora.
    Building a new Lion King theater would be part of the Avatar budget....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Building a new Lion King theater would be part of the Avatar budget....
    That's great news. I do think it would be a perfect fit somewhere in Harambe Village.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    That's great news. I do think it would be a perfect fit somewhere in Harambe Village.
    Please, don't take that as news... I'm just assuming... Would make sense... but please, that isn't news...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Please, don't take that as news... I'm just assuming... Would make sense... but please, that isn't news...
    OK, but keeping my fingers crossed. And I hope the Avatar project is done right.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Behind Tusker House is the current rumor... there would also be a new entrance from Discovery Island... And a FP entrance...

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought it was a neat little themed area for the kids. My boys always liked looking at the Donald Duck hiking/camping figures scattered throughout CMM. BUT, if FOTLK wasn't back there then we probably wouldn't have gone over there.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the Dragon Rock will ever be removed or will it just sit there as a constant reminder of what could of been. All though some of it still lives on down the street.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually a new show building for FotLK could be great. Improved seating, more seating, etc. They could even enhance the special effects and show elements to freshen it up. Moving it could be the best thing for it.

As for Avatar...I still say
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I had never been back to CMM until I had kids. Once I had kids, I found it was a great place to take them to get characters' autographs without having to wait in a big line (at least at the times we went). I will admit though that it did feel like quite a hike to get back there. I certainly hope they just don't make it an even LONGER pathway to FOTL from Africa!!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: