Quantcast House Hunters revelation

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default House Hunters revelation

Okay, TV is so boring lately that I have resorted to watching numerous first-runs and re-runs of House Hunters. I've always liked this show but wondered what the real story was behind it. Now this week it was revealed by one of the participants in Texas that they had already closed on a house before they were chosen to be on the show, and they had to find two other "fake" properties to view to make the show seem legit. Does this surprise me? Not really--I always figured that the people participating had already narrowed the houses down to a few and that these were not randomly chosen by the real estate agents on the show. And I have my doubts about some of the woman's story (in Texas) since her husband was a real estate agent himself and they were obviously looking to capitalize on the publicity (and maybe still are).

Anyone else heard (or care) about this situation?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to love House Hunters. Recently I've gotten a bit bored about regular House Hunters but I always try to watch House Hunters International.

I haven't heard about this particular person's story but I have heard this before. I think the article I had read said they are on such a short time line that they do not have time to wait for a real search and that usually to be on the show you already have to have a closing scheduled on a house you have purchased. Supposedly you can tell which house is the real house because it is the one without furniture but I have found that is not always true.

Since I am really watching for the houses and to see if they would chose what I would, it doesn't really matter to me that it is faked.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Love the House Hunters International! I'm sure there is a lot of staging, as is typical in reality TV. I'm just interested in seeing other houses, layouts, and decor so it doesn't bother me too much
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't surprise me that it is "rigged." Isn't all reality TV at least a little scripted?
    I still think it is interesting to see what you can get for your money in different parts of the country and world. I like to watch House Hunters International more because it is interesting to see what is standard in other parts of the world.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Like Cindy, I already knew this. And I thought it was common knowledge. In the celebrity version, I don't think some of the celebrities even end up buying a house or were even in the market. I still find it entertaining. I love looking at houses.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I like watching House Hunters and others like it and am guilty of trying to see if I can pick the right one. Much easier to choose real estate when it's not my money or my budget

I read the article about this woman and can't really figure out her motive other than promoting her husband's business as Beth said. Not sure what she thought the shock value in tell people that reality tv is staged would be. pretty much common knowledge.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Anyone else heard (or care) about this situation?
    Don't care, I watch wrestling...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Don't care, I watch wrestling...
    That is the strangest segue I've seen in a long time, lol!

I love HH International too! It's fascinating to see the cultural differences (why do we Americans have such a thing about the "open concept"?) It also gives me ideas about future vacations.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

That is the strangest segue I've seen in a long time, lol!

I love HH International too! It's fascinating to see the cultural differences (why do we Americans have such a thing about the "open concept"?) It also gives me ideas about future vacations.
    Was supposed to be a joke on the whole it's fake idea...

HHI is interesting though. Its interesting to see the different house types instead of the touristy things. I also find it humbling when people go looking in other countries with $400k in hand to get a second home to spend a few weeks in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jillirose View Post
    Love the House Hunters International! I'm sure there is a lot of staging, as is typical in reality TV. I'm just interested in seeing other houses, layouts, and decor so it doesn't bother me too much
    I love it, too. I dream of househunting in Europe. I was a little surprised by the "revelations", but who knows? Will continue to enjoy the scenery.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Every "reality" show on TV is fake to some degree or another. House Hunters wouldn't work if they didn't already have a "winner" house. What would happen if the buyer(s) didn't like ANY of the 3 houses? There has to be a guaranteed ending.

My favorite revelation was finding out that in Europe, your clothes washing machine (if you even get one) is usually located in the KITCHEN! That's odd!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, big deal! I love these shows and will continue to watch them. My only surprise in the whole thing is that anyone who has watched more than a few of them would be "shocked" to find out the truth. What difference does it make anyway? I find much humor in what new, first time buyers with a buck-fifty think they should get.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Every "reality" show on TV is fake to some degree or another. House Hunters wouldn't work if they didn't already have a "winner" house. What would happen if the buyer(s) didn't like ANY of the 3 houses? There has to be a guaranteed ending.

My favorite revelation was finding out that in Europe, your clothes washing machine (if you even get one) is usually located in the KITCHEN! That's odd!
    My thoughts exactly! I still like watching House Hunters because I love looking at houses and seeing what houses are worth in different areas of the country/world.

You can sometimes tell which house "won" by looking at the female's hair in the shot where they are deciding which house to buy. Sometimes they film vising the houses on different days or will change clothes for the camera but the hair style will be the same on the day/house they choose!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

My laundry area in my new house is in my kitchen. It's a big closet really, between the side entry and the kitchen. It used to be upstairs by the bedrooms but the previous owner relocated it to the kitchen area. I'd thought about moving it when we moved in, but I decided it's very handy where it is and I like it.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, from our travel experiences, either in the kitchen or the bathroom. Since our laundry room is located just off of our kitchen, that doesn't seem so strange to me. But ask me to run one of those combination washing/dryer machines they have in Europe and that's another matter. We tried to use one in Ireland when we stayed at an apartment there and could not figure out how the dryer part worked. We ended up with a small load of soaking wet laundry that we dried in the rear window of our rental car as we traveled to our next destination!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Washer and Dryer NEXT TO the kitchen is normal.

Washer/Dryer combo machine located where the Dishwasher should be...WEIRD!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

. . . But ask me to run one of those combination washing/dryer machines they have in Europe and that's another matter. We tried to use one in Ireland when we stayed at an apartment there and could not figure out how the dryer part worked. We ended up with a small load of soaking wet laundry that we dried in the rear window of our rental car as we traveled to our next destination!
    I could so see that happening to me. I'm also amazed especially on the Asian episode how much smaller many of the kitchens are and how some apartment/condos don't have ovens.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Funny, the house I grew up in, in Southern California built in late 1950's had washing machine in the kitchen, right next to the refrigerator.
    Shari

Many trips to Disneyland, grew up in Southern California.

1st trip to WDW - 2004 Son's HS Graduation
    2nd trip to WDW - 2010 First DVC Stay AKV & BCV

November 2010 - VGC
    May 2011 - VGC
    November 2011 - VGC
    December 2011 - BLT

DVC Member VGC & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, yeah, a little weird. I have to watch more of the International episodes.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Lol--not if you live in Europe. We have friends outside of London who have the teeniest tiniest townhouse with the teeniest tiniest kitchen--probably no more than 4 X 5 feet, and they still have the washer/dryer in the kitchen.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: