Quantcast Short Fall getaway ideas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Fall getaway ideas

My kids have never flown anywhere. DH keeps saying we need to fly somewhere for a long weekend with the kiddos. We'd like it to be some place new, and a place that can be enjoyed in a short 3 night stay. My kids have a fall break the week of Oct. 15th this year. And just some extra info, I have two boys, ages 12 and 10.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, but here are a few things that come to mind. First of all, while not a deal breaker, I would like it to be a place with some educational value. Also since where we live we don't really have a fall season, I'd love a place where we can see some fall color. Seems here where we live it's either green or dead! It would be cool to visit a place that truly feels like fall, with colored leaves, maybe a pumpkin patch, corn mazes, apple orchards, stuff we don't get to typically do here at home.

A few places came to mind when thinking of locations that seem doable for just 3 nights. Boston, DC, and Chicago. I would love to hear from those of you that either live in these areas, or have visited, to give me suggestions or opinions. Would we see any fall color in any of these locations mid October? Would it be too late, too early? Tell me about things that might be interesting for a family of 4 with two boys, ages 12 and 10, to do in these locations. Places to stay, eat, tour, sightsee.

Also if there is someplace that you've been that I haven't thought of that would make for a good fall weekend trip please tell me about it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest Chicago, but DC is good too. I live close to DC. You will get some nice fall leaves mid October. There are numerous farms, orchards, and pumpkin patches in this area in the fall. There are educational opportunities galore and none of the schools up here have a fall break so tourist crowds will be a non issue.

I agree with your husband. Get those kids on a plane!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I agree with your husband. Get those kids on a plane!
    Hahaha, I haven't flown either since I had kids. My kids go back and forth between wanting to fly to being terrified to fly, but you and DH are right, it's something I think they should get to do!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

My choice would be Washington DC for the kids.

I really did enjoy Boston but felt like two days was enough, plus my son was a little older than yours are. He was also a big history buff.

DC has enough to do to keep you busy for a week with a selection that has enough for everyone to stay interested. The musuems are first class, the monuments are fun for the kids and the city is easy to walk in or take the metro.

In all fairness i have never been to Chicago, but that's because it just doesn't interest me.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Massachusetts is gorgeous in the fall. If you're looking for some beautiful foliage, I would stay in Western MA and go along the Mohawk Trail. You can find sites that offer lots of activities. It's more nature-based, some history thrown in, and some opportunities to be active in the outdoors. In the Amherst-Deerfield area, there's an Eric Carle museum, a butterfly farm, and apple orchards. It's a great area that might be just the thing for you. You can fly into Bradley just outside Hartford CT and make the drive from there. It's a smaller airport than Logan. Also, in Springfield, the Basketball Hall of Fame (if you have any basketball fans in the family).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Massachusetts is gorgeous in the fall. If you're looking for some beautiful foliage, I would stay in Western MA and go along the Mohawk Trail.
    Would mid October be a good time for all this gorgeous foliage? I worry that we pick a place and we are either too early or too late! We did that in Tennessee/North Carolina once. We visited in mid October, and the leaves were just barely starting to change. We were about a week or two too early. I know it varies year to year, but would we have a good chance in mid October in Massachusetts?
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

The foliage thing is a gamble, no matter where you go. It's highly weather dependent.

Last year, we had about 2 good weeks of colors, about 50% of the trees were in transition, and then on October 28, it snowed. After that, the leaves all just seemed to turn brown immediately. It took another month for them all to fall off, but the colors were gone, for the most part. Once there is a hard frost, it's pretty much all over. You can't predict that ahead of time.

However, Mid October is a good time to visit anywhere in the Northeast for a good CHANCE of seeing some nice fall colors.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Pick the cheapest airfare...go from there...DC is great but expensive hotel in the closer area...although Boston and Chicago aren't cheap either! Airfare.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend my state lovely old rhode island. Over Columbus day weekend there are a ton of good activities and not to mention the fall activities. There is the situate art festival which is just awesome, educational and has true old history feel to it. Do a google search of activities and festivals in rhode island in October and see what you think. Feel free to message me if you want any details, numbers, etc.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We've never been to DC or Boston (as a family), but we LOVE Chicago! The Field Museum is amazing and our girls love it. There's also Shedd's Aquarium, and a Science Center. It's a good destination for three days. Don't know about the fall activities though, we've never looked for something like that there. Although, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something like that to do there. You should have a good shot at seeing fall colors at any of your destinations that time of year. Good luck! Let us know what you pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Would mid October be a good time for all this gorgeous foliage? I worry that we pick a place and we are either too early or too late!
    It is weather-dependent, but mid October, while on the later side of foliage development in MA, is usually still a good time to go. Peak is usually around Columbus Day weekend or right before-- same with Rhode Island (also lovely to visit), lower New Hampshire, and Connecticut. Vermont and Maine tend to peak about a week earlier.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We go to DC fairly often- with the Smithsonian museums being free, as well as the monuments, it's a relatively inexpensive vacation. We have been taking DS since he was 6 months old and he loves to visit. He notices something new on every trip! We like to stay in the Mall area.

I'd also consider Boston, but I don't know enough about it to give you guidance about what to do. I stayed in the Park Plaza hotel during my last visit and I loved it.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Massachusetts all my life and I still love Boston in the fall. Athough I have also been to DC and love it there as well. I live about 30 mins south of, but work in Boston often. I still make it a point to take the family around to the sites, I try not to take for granted the historical area we live in. You can Walk the Freedom Trail which takes you along numerous historical sites (educational), climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Memorial, See and Tour Old Iron Side the oldest ship still commissioned in the US Navy. Shop and eat at Fannual Hall. There is also the New England Aquarium, Boston Childrens Museum (depending on the kids ages),and The Boston Museum of Science is great. You can go take walk around Harvard University Grounds. Take the Duck Tours which take you around all the historical sites and then travels down the Charles river. You can take a Charter boat out to Georges Island which is an island fort that was used to protect Boston Harbor. If you travel 45 mins North you are in NH, although it takes a good 2.5 hours to get up to the Bartlett area and in the White Mountains. The Kankamangus Highway up there is beautiful, although mid October may be nearing the end of the peak foliage season. If you travel 1 hour south of Boston you can be in Rhode Island which has some really Beautiful Areas too.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    Pick the cheapest airfare...go from there...DC is great but expensive hotel in the closer area...although Boston and Chicago aren't cheap either! Airfare.
    Oddly enough, the three locations I was considering are extremely close in price. Flights to DC was a bit more expensive, but then of the hotels I was looking at the DC hotel is the cheapest. Flights and 3 night hotel stays are all within $300 of each other. With DC probably being the cheapest to do things (since so much is free), it would probably cost less in the end.

As far as hotels go, I am looking at the Gaylord National for DC, The Omni Hotel for Boston, and either one of the Embassy Suites or the W-Lakeshore for Chicago. Now I really know nothing about any of these hotels, but they rated high for travel with children and they look nice and clean. We've stayed at other Gaylord hotels and loved them, so when DC had sooooo many choices, I looked for something I knew we'd like. I would definitely take suggestions if someone knows of better hotel options at any of these locations.

What I am surprised about is how much it will cost to fly! Wow! Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, LOL, since we never fly. DH flies several times a year, but it's always work or military related, so we don't pay for it. I'm pricing flying Southwest out of New Orleans and round trip is ranging from $1300-$1600 for the 4 of us. Does that sound right? Or should I be able to do better?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far. Keep them coming!!!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    If you travel 45 mins North you are in NH, although it takes a good 2.5 hours to get up to the Bartlett area and in the White Mountains. The Kankamangus Highway up there is beautiful, although mid October may be nearing the end of the peak foliage season. If you travel 1 hour south of Boston you can be in Rhode Island which has some really Beautiful Areas too.
    This just about has me sold. That fact that we can easily drive to two other states on the same trip is very appealing to me. Might have to add another night if we want to venture out like that, but to see a glimpse of two additional states sounds like a great adventure for the kids.

But I guess the same can be said about DC. I know we could easily visit Maryland and Virginia while in DC.

Decisions, decisions!!!!!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Omni in Boston and loved it. It's a great hotel.

In DC we stay at the Lowes which I think is now called L Elfant Plaza, another first class hotel.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

But I guess the same can be said about DC. I know we could easily visit Maryland and Virginia while in DC.

You can technically easily drive to Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and Pennsylvania from DC. Philadelphia is about 3 hrs by car from D.C., Baltimore is about an hour by car. Northern Virginia has a lot to see in the fall and that's likely where you'd go for the Farms/orchards and that type of activity.

Bonus is that the colors stick around on the trees a bit longer down here vs. up in the northeast.

I'd honestly recommend D.C. with your kids ages. The historical significance of this area is very important, and your kids should definitely see some of it, particularly with your DH's military background.

I went to Boston as a kid and I remember being SOOOOO bored on that trip. All of New England is rather boring for KIDS. It really is more of an adult oriented "vacation" place. Lots of pretty stuff to see but not too much to keep the kids really entertained, IMO.

If you are looking at airfare to the DC area, you can choose from three airports, so check airfares into all of them:

BWI-Baltimore
    DCA-Washington Reagan (this one is close to downtown D.C.)
    IAD-Washington Dulles (this one is about 30 min west of D.C. but the drive to the city is very easy).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

This just about has me sold. That fact that we can easily drive to two other states on the same trip is very appealing to me. Might have to add another night if we want to venture out like that, but to see a glimpse of two additional states sounds like a great adventure for the kids.

And don't forget, if you do this and go around Columbus day in October there are a ton of things to doin rhode island. If you want any ideas feel free to message me, and dbf and I can meet up with you if you come to rhode island! situate art festival really is great fun especially for the kids!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We once did a short weekend trip to Philadelphia and our whole crew loved it...we stayed in walking distance to several museums, independence hall, the US Mint, etc and had a great time walking around the city. Lots of good eateries (my son still says the pizza we ate there was the best ever...and you can't beat having a cheesesteak sandwich at the place where it all began).

My second place vote wold be DC.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Chicago is great but the hotel rooms will be small like in NYC.

St. Louis is a good town to take kids to and a lot of free activities. St. Louis Zoo, Purina Farms, Grants Farm, the Arch and McDonalds on the river. The museums are great and there are 2 or 3 childrens museums that my girls loved. Butterfly house and some downtown shopping - the train station mall is especially fun. The only thing about St. Louis s the driving around- a lot of the fun places aren't downtown. It was nice for me because my brother lives there and would drive us around ( and knew where everything was). Also lots of great food, The Hill has Italian food and the little houses and neighborhood is pretty ....oh, and the bakeries
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: