Quantcast The "New and Improved" DCA...post your experiences here! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, 5 hours Scott? Wow. Is the queue outdoors? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any pics of the queue.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't keep single rider. It works so well here in FL for Test Track.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The queue is primarily outside Mel. There are three separate lines converging on one loading platform that loads four cars. My comment was mainly concerning FP. At first, I think it should have been just standby and single rider line until a month or so kind of like they did for Star Tours 2.0 here.
    Disney fan....yesterday, today and always!

Sometimes we all need a bit of magic.

433 miles away from Disneyland!
    2,836 miles away from Walt Disney World!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed yesterday that a lot of people were just lining up for the fastpasses first before going into Cars Land.

Last night the fastpass line was still around an hour long and that was at 10pm.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Pier Pinocchio View Post
    My comment was mainly concerning FP. At first, I think it should have been just standby and single rider line until a month or so kind of like they did for Star Tours 2.0 here.
    I don't recall this being the case. Perhaps this was the case for the first couple days, but definitely NOT for a month. We were at DLR a week after ST 2.0 debuted on a Sunday and tried to get FP but they were for too late in the day (later than we planned on being there). I returned the following Wednesday morning and obtained a FP for 8:30pm that night, and DH went when he got home from work. I was only able to do this because my kids were still in school, so I know for sure it wasn't a month after the opening.

However, I agree with you. They should not be using FP for now, and they should cap the Single RIder to so many per hour allowed into that queue (because otherwise EVERYONE would just do single rider). I don't think they will ever get rid of Single Rider option, but they will close it as needed when the lines are just too long, like they do at Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain. Single Rider is not always an option at those rides either.

I wanted to ask: I heard they had snack/drink vending locations sort of "built into" the queue. Is this true? If so, how did you think it was done? Good idea or not?

Props for waiting in that line; I wouldn't be able to do that.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Wow, 5 hours Scott? Wow. Is the queue outdoors? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any pics of the queue.
    You are familiar with the bridge into Paradise Pier? The line goes ALL the way down by that way, and then gets routed along Paradise Bay if needed. I saw pictures of that. Insane.

LOTS of masking tape is being used on the walkways...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We went there on Monday, getting there at 8am right at opening. We chose to get in the FastPass line for Radiator Springs Racers first, which took about 20 to 25 minutes to get though. Our return time was 4:45pm to 5:45pm.

After that we walked through the masses of people over to Radiator Springs Racers. The standby wait time said 180 minutes, the single rider line did not have a time listed, but I believe it came up later to show 1 hour.

We chose the single rider line, since we didn't want to wait in the long standby.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    .... They should not be using FP for now, and they should cap the Single RIder to so many per hour allowed into that queue (because otherwise EVERYONE would just do single rider). I don't think they will ever get rid of Single Rider option, but they will close it as needed when the lines are just too long, like they do at Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain. Single Rider is not always an option at those rides either.
    They were regulating the single rider line. When the line would get too long it would be cut off. When we first got there they were not letting people in the line. We hung around with a few other until it opened up again. Once it opened, we and about 20 others rushed in the line. I timed our entire time in that line at about 45 minutes, and the line was pretty backed up, close to the entrance of that line.

We ended up riding in the same vehicle. I was in the front, and my friend ended up in the back. It actually worked well for me to get a photo of the two of us while I was riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Wow. Is the queue outdoors? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any pics of the queue.
    The queue is outdoors, and as many have reported on other sites, Cars Land itself is very hot. We haven't even got to the hotter parts of the summer. As you enter the queues, there are three lines. On the left, is single rider, in the middle is FastPass, and on the right is the standby line. I can't imagine being in that standby line for 2 plus hours on a very hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I wanted to ask: I heard they had snack/drink vending locations sort of "built into" the queue. Is this true? If so, how did you think it was done? Good idea or not?
    There are CMs with mobile food trays similar to what you would see at a ballpark in the queue area to provide drinks and food to people waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Pier Pinocchio View Post
    We got there about 4:15pm and the standby for RSR was 2 1/4 hours. I said pass. 1 hour for single rider. Again pass.
    Our entire time in the single ride line was timed at 45 minutes. Later in the day we came back (after one of the many ride stoppages that happen each day on this new ride) and I believe the standby line was again 180 minutes or more, and the single rider line was posted as 60 minutes.

Now, having been on the ride earlier that morning. I could see the line was much shorter than when we went on it earlier, and it took us still only 45 minutes. Since we had FastPasses we got in that line, but I watched and timed the single rider line. It ended up being half the time posted on the sign. People got through the single rider line in about 20 to 30 minutes.

One thing to remember is that while the standby line can be greatly affected by the FastPass line, the single rider line really moves the same all the time, because there are always seats to be filled in.

The only problem is if it gets too long, then CM will temporary close it.

We didn't make it on to Maters or Luigi's since the wait times were long. We did have breakfast at Flo's V-8 Cafe and thought it was good.

The great thing about Flo's is you have this amazing view of Ornament Valley and watching people wind their way through the standby line. You can also see the cars race by in the Radiator Springs attraction.

We had reservations for lunch at the Carthay Circle restaurant. The decor is great, the CMs attention to service is fantastic. They are really trying to make this an upscale dining experience.

My only problem was the open kitchen. I think it really destroyed the atmosphere they were trying to create. Luckily we didn't get a table right next to the kitchen, but were still close enough to hear all the barking for orders ... where's this, where's that. It would be nice if there was more of a wall separating the kitchen from the dining room. Still, the food was great and it is a really nice restaurant.

I also loved the Newsboys show in front of the Carthay Circle theater. Great music, and performances, love the costumes (especially Mickey). It is great seeing more live entertainment in the park, and also that it is period appropriate, and not something snapped off the Disney Channel and thrown in the park.

Buena Vista Street in general looks great. Loved the trollies, loved the "citizens" of Buena Vista Street who walk around. The buildings look great, but as usual, not thrilled with much of the generic merchandise. Would love to see more DCA specific stuff, especially DCA period specific type things.

I told my friend, while it is not fun navigating around all the people, it is really nice to finally see DCA packed after 11 years.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention we skipped dessert at Carthay Circle, and got brownie sundae at Ghirardelli soda fountain and chocolate shop. This is another great addition the park.

Love the shop and the animated art on the wall. There is no seating inside, and not too many tables outside. It is fairly close to the other eating areas where there are more tables. We chose to walk over to Paradise Pier park and sit on one of the benches to enjoy our sundae.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Jump ahead 10 weeks or so and send home the pre-Labor Day visitors and you end up with a Practically Perfect Park!

I love Buena Vista Street. It is charming, quaint, and inviting. The Carthay Circle Theater Restaurant was a hit with DH & I. Don't forget that if you order and entree and an appetizer or dessert you receive a World of Color Reserved Section pass.

Cars Land is cute. A great addition. Even better at night with the neon. The stand-by line we stood in for Radiator Springs Racers was 60 minutes. Not bad, IMO. And don't miss Mater's Junkyard Jamboree! It was a walk-on the day we tried it and it was lots of fun.

Don't skip the Blue Sky Cellar. They are still featuring Cars Land. Stop by to see “Time Travel Mater”.

If you haven't yet attended a performance of "Instant Concert - Just add Water" put it on your list of things to do. Lots of fun.

Finally -- get a Sundae at Ghirardelli's. Another wonderful - and delicious - addition.
    Last edited by tinkwest; 09-12-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: WOC info
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: