Quantcast First trip with a chlid!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First trip with a chlid!

I have been a Disney fanatic since I was 10. My hubby and I have taken several trips, but this was our first with our son, who is 3.
    We arrived at Pop Century on June 2 around noon. We have stayed here several times before and always love it. There was nothing wrong this trip, but that small room seemed even smaller with a child. I'm thinking we'll save a little longer for a moderate next time. We were able to check right in. I tried to talk our son into a nap since I knew it wouldn't happen the next day, but the pool was calling his name. I must admit it was nice. We then headed over to our favorite restaurant, 'Ohana. Yummy as always! I knew little one wouldn't eat anything there so we brought him a PB&J from the room. Our waiter seemed to frown when i told him he wouldn't be eatting, but I really didn't care!

First day off to MK. We arrived at opening and managed to cover most of Fantasyland very quickly with fast passes for Peter Pan and short waits for the rest. Little man was scared of the 3D show and Peter Pan at first, but he warmed up. We stayed until 2 and then tried for a nap, which didn't happen. We opted for another swim and dinner at Pop food court - love all their choices.

Day 2 started with breakfast at Crystal Palace at 8am. I love MK before opening. Lots of great picture chances and watching little bunnies play in front of the castle. Breakfast was wonderful as always and the character interaction was great. After hitting dumbo and barnstormer we hopped to Epcot. We did not expect to stay here long with a 3 year old, but boy were we wrong. We stayed till 6pm with no break and he never got bored. The Land was horribly crowded since TT is closed. I have never seen so many people in that building!

Day 3 little man and I stayed at the room to swim and nap (it was much needed by this point). We had an extra ticket from my childhood that DH used to ride all the big rides at DHS & MK that little one isn't big enough for. He also tried a new sandwich at Sleepy Hollow in MK. It was a sweet and spicy chicken and waffle sandwich. He LOVED it and says it is a new must have. I tried it later and just thought it was ok, but if you love waffles like his does then you must try it.

Day 4 was a quick change of plans. We intended to hit early hours at DHS, but due to rain in the forecast the next day we switched to AK. This made me realize that I probably won't like the Xpass (or whatever it is) if i have to plan in advance! We opened AK and waited a very short time for the safari. We saw more animals than we ever have and really enjoyed the ride without the old story line. We met lots of characters and saw several shows and I found a new MUST HAVE snack. Jalapeno cheese filled pretzel. it was fantastic! I will be going back for that! It started raining in the afternoon so we took a short break in the room then hopped to DHS for a few indoor shows.

Final day - we opened DHS and managed to score Toy story FP for 9:30 and then get in line with hardly any wait. It was awesome and little one wanted a 3rd time, but by then the wait was almost 2 hrs! Lots of great character meet and greets and shows. We then hopped to close our trip at MK. Most of this was in the pouring rain. We were soaked, but still had lots of fun. we had our ponchos but some lady yelled at me and little one "Are you crazy it's raining take cover!!" really? I think she needed a nap too. The only things we missed due to rain were the Pirate tutorial and my favorite snack - dole whip As good as it is it didn't sound good in the pouring rain.

Before we headed home the next day we had breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey's. This was the first time there for all of us, and we were very disappointed! The food was marginal at best and was more expensive for hubby and I than dinner at 'Ohana!! We were the very last table on the characters rotation and twice a character got within 2 tables of us and took a break. One of them was Mickey and after he came back from break right was he was coming to our table he was called away for the birthday song....it was a long wait. plus DS had to potty by this time and was squirming but determined to wait. Next time we will skip this and try a different breakfast.
    Overall it was a wonderful trip. I can't wait until our son is a little bigger and can ride more. He will love it all. At least 2 years until our next trip since we are expecting in Oct. Plenty of time to save for that upgrade to a moderate
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Except for the rainy day, it was a lovely introduction to Disney World for your son!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great first trip for DS We love Cape May for frequent character interactions - they spend a good amount of time at your table if you wish.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like an almost perfect first trip for your son.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention there was 1 big disappointment for DH. He wanted to meet Captain Hook SO badly! I asked at information desk at every park and he doesn't do meet and greets anymore unless it is a special event. With the popularity of Jake and the Neverland Pirates they may want to rethink this.
    Alice
    10 trips and counting

Post Thanks / Like

I would still have a Dole Whip in the rain. In a hurricane, I would have to think twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Even in the rain Disney is the place for me. Glad to hear you had a great trip.

Chris
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

Were you able to use your leftover, unexpired tickets?

Post Thanks / Like

We were able to use them at the gates with no problems. I had 3 tickets with 1 day left and DH, DS and I each used one on our last day. worked fine with no problems. The tickets were from 2000 and only had my maiden name on the back. I had brought a copy of my marriage license just incase I needed it, but nothing was ever looked at. Just scanned and went in
    Alice
    10 trips and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a magical first trip with your son.

I am shocked about Captain Hook being pulled out of the rotation with Mr. Smee for meet and greets - that's been a staple of our family for many, many years!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories with us!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing your first vacation to WDW with your son! Sounded like you and yours had a wonderful time

DH and I have our first baby on the way and keep wondering when will be the right time to take a family trip to WDW. It sounds like taking a 3-year-old turned out great for you, so we'll definitely keep that in mind
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: