Quantcast "Cheating"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: "Cheating"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Cheating"

We are considering "cheating" on our very favorite resort, WL. (especially with construction going on)

We have read some things about BC and YC and need to know the real deal on them. The messages out there are quite varied and all over the place. Clearly the location is a big plus. Noisy relaxing? Run-down/dated? Stuffy/not stuffy?

Never having done CL, is it really worth it?

PLEASE weigh in with your thoughts. We need to book ASAP.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Stayed at BC in 2010 was very nice. Didn't find it crowded. We were there during food and wine. This year in Oct. we are staying at the Yatch Club Club Level. Have read many post on how great it is but won't know for sure until Oct.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

On a purely financial level the more people you have in your room the more CL becomes worth it....remember the cost per room is the same whether its just you and your siginificant other or you and your kids.

Worth it also depends upon whether you are a dawn to midnight park commando, because if you are and don't return to the resort during the day then you will miss out on many of the food and beverage amenities.

When we stay CL (as a family of four) we use it for a very filling breakfast each morning before we kits the parks....and then also come back to the resort (poo) l later in the day and then use the CL's more serious food offerings of the late afternoon to replace another meal we would have purchased in the parks. For us (when there are four of us) the food savings come fairly close to covering the added cost

And that is with us being pretty much tea-totalers so the beer/wine/cordial thing isn't of interest to us, but for those who choose to imbibe i would imagine the added savings there to be considerable, given the beverage costs throughout WDW.

Its also nice in that the CL at many resorts put you on one of the upper floors which typically provides a little bit nicer view and little more separation form the noise of pools and other guests in courtyards, etc.

Oh, and we've stayed CL at the BC itself....it was one of our favorite "whole family" stays at WDW....the pool and location make it a real stand out in our minds.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The Beach Club is probably my second favorite resort behind AKL.

We used to own at BoardWalk and once we stayed at Beach Club, that was the last time we stayed at BW. I think the BoardWalk is a little run down. That description doesn't cross my mind about the Beach Club or Yacht Club.

Stuffy? Well, I consider Yacht Club to be the stuffier of the two. I don't have a desire to stay at the Yacht Club for some reason. I'm not a boat person or a beach person, but don't mind the Beach Club theme.

Noisy? Well, the common area at BC can get a little noisy, but I've found the rest of the resort pretty peaceful. The DVC area is real quiet...

Location is great, as you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a WL Club level person. That is my all time favorite (I have stayed at BC, GF, and WL club levels).

I even got to stay in the new refurbished rooms the first day they opened - I love Randy and his crew there, and look forward to the times I get to stay there. I usually book a bounce back if I can to save me some extra $$ on the room.

That being said, we just decided recently to stay 2 days at WDW when we take our daughter back to school in August. Yep, no bounceback rate to fall back on this time... No, problem I am thinking, I have both Annual pass and DD being a Florida resident to fall back on for discounts...

HOWEVER... Disney in its infinite wisdom for some unheard of reason decided to NOT give WL the discount they are giving other deluxe resorts this summer. Where AKL, BC, BWI, and YC are at 30% off rates, WL was only 5%.
    So, I was looking at a $300 difference between YC and WL club level for a 2 day stay. Since I have not won a lottery recently (okay, I have NEVER won a lottery), I am heading to the YC for our stay this August. I'm not a happy camper about this, but it is what it is.

I keep looking EVERY day hoping that Disney will change its mind, and add WL to the 30% list, but so far, they have not.

I think club level is worth it, if you spend a lot of time at the resort. We eat breakfast there before we head out to the parks, and when we come back in the afternoon, hit the lounge for snacks/drinks (you can even ask for a cold beer and they will get it for you if you are a beer drinker). Later when we return back to the resort, its normally dessert and beer/cocktails out - and well, the price of alcohol at Disney, if you have a drink or two each night, then you are saving quite a bit right there.

Whenever I need reservations at any dining place, an email to the IPO seems to always produce the reservation that I was wanting (even Cinderella's royal table for breakfast 90 days out).

Most CL rooms are no bigger or smaller than any other room in the resort, so you are not paying for a "better" room, just sometimes a better view. I have a room (bunk-bed room) in WL that I always request - sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, but that room has a spot on view of the castle and fireworks at night. You are only going to get that view from the 7th floor due to the trees around the WL. So paying extra for club level works in that case.

AT AKL the club level rooms have a view of the Savannah - if you price out the non club level Savannah view rooms, you might be surprised to see that the club level is not that much more.

So, I'm right there with you with "cheating" on WL...
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imalismom View Post
    I keep looking EVERY day hoping that Disney will change its mind, and add WL to the 30% list, but so far, they have not.
    Does that ever happen?
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    Does that ever happen?
    I don't know - I've never had this happen before - so this is a new one on me... I'm just hoping maybe it will, but I truly doubt it will
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

We are WL lovers as well. It's our favorite resort on property (with a few close second place resorts not far behind).

We've stayed at BC once and it was a wonderful resort. I have nothing negative to say about it. It did not feel run down at all, bus service was good, the pool...AMAZING, and location is great. We are staying at YC next month and are thrilled with our choice.

Can't comment on CL as we've never stayed, and likely never will. I don't think it would be worth the cost for my family. We enjoy dining in the parks and other resorts, and would feel the food in the lounge would probably be money not very well spent for us. We do tend to spend lots of time at our resort, but still don't think we'd eat enough in the lounge to make it worth the expense for my crew.

I think you'll enjoy the change! And keep in mind that your next trip you can return to you beloved WL with all new rooms and finished construction! A great reason to plan another trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the input so far!

Our stays have always been at WL and I can't believe how nervous I am about changing it up!

We are still calculating and debating the CL vs. quick service dining plan and/or garden grocer combo. We won't have a car so we might try having some food delivered. We are teachers after all and do need to watch the budget! Cl just sounds so much more indulgent!

I know everyone raves about the sandy bottom pool, but I'm NOT a lake swimmer, etc. and am somewhat worried. Are there areas that are sand free?

If you had to choose, BC or YC? (and why, please!) We have two teens, if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stay at the Dolphin and love the Epcot resort area. Always something to do, extremely convenient for Epcot and DHS, and a beautiful area of WDW. We have stayed at the Dolphin, the Swan, Boardwalk, and Beach Club. Our favorite is the Dolphin followed by the Beach Club. The pool area for Yacht/Beach is the best at WDW. The Beach club never seemed stuffy at all. The Yacht club is a little more formal but I would not call it stuffy at all. I think you would really enjoy either resort. We love the WL as well but would choose either Yacht or Beach over it anyday!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

with two teens (which is what I still have until one turns 20 in october) I would go with the BC...if for no other reason than the fact that you are closer to both the shared themed pool and Epcot. Also the theming at YC seems a little more on the stuffy side to me...but thats just one mans opinion.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teachermom View Post
    <snip> We are teachers after all and do need to watch the budget! Cl just sounds so much more indulgent!

<snip>
    If you had to choose, BC or YC? (and why, please!) We have two teens, if that helps.
    I am also a teacher, and I love the spoiling

I just choose YC - I choose it over BC as I felt that the BC "might" have more kids staying at it then the YC. Also, the YC's check in area is said to be a little quieter (restaurants are further back from the check in area). It is also closer to the boat dock. Oh, and DH wants to own his own boat someday (like in the next 4 years), so I thought the YC might appeal to him more
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at both, both CL. Both are great.

For me, personally, WL is a sentimental favorite. I love it and always will.

For my family, though, BC was our first resort for our first trip with our boys, and we stayed there again on the second trip. Somehow, I think this is now our "home" resort from here on out, when we take the kids. We absolutely love everything about the BC and have NOTHING (honestly) negative to say about it.

That said, for me, transportation at WL is a negative. It's just not good. It takes a long time to get anywhere and it drives me crazy.

BUT, last trip we visited WL for lunch one day, and both DH and I were really feeling the homesickness vibe and discussed staying there next time. I feel like when I don't stay at the WL, I'm cheating too. I was worried about staying at the BC for the first time, but it ended up being so amazing that I don't feel badly about trying someplace new in the future.

You really can't go wrong with BC and I think you should try it just to see. It won DH over because he could walk to the UK pavilion and be having a cold beer in under 5 minutes. Priceless!

We do find that with a family of 4, CL is most definitely worth it and will always stay CL if we can swing it, even if it means cutting back elsewhere.

Now, the sandy bottom pool worried me too, but honestly, it's' not like any sand you've felt before. It's a large grain sand (does NOT get stuck in undesirable places) and gives your feet a really nice massage while you walk on it. It's cool. And, yes, there are parts of the pool with no sand on the bottom. You can avoid it if you wish.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I am another Wilderness Lodge lover. It has some of my favorite theming and atmosphere, but for the last few trips Yacht Club/Beach Club. We started staying there because we often need a room that holds 5, but it has become one of my favorite places to stay.

I like the whole feel of the Epcot resort area. It is a little world within a world. We've spent several enjoyable evening watching movies on the beach and watching the activity across the lake at the Boardwalk.

Stormalong Beach is wonderful. I wouldn't worry about the sandy bottom. As Natalie mentioned it is not the sticky goopy lake sand. The shallow ends has the most sand and that is where you will find the younger children playing in the sand. The other areas have much less sand and you have a very a deep section with a lazy river that is lots of fun.

I have stayed on both sides.

Beach Club has a light decor and less formal lobby. The lobby tends to busier especially around breakfast and dinner due to Cape May which is right off the main lobby. BC is slightly closer to Epcot, and the pool.The limited quick serve is it that building too. Some of the balcony rooms have standing balcony instead of a full balcony.Some of the villa rooms are closer to the road and may have a little road noise.

The Yacht Club has a dark more ornate lobby. Some find it stuff but I think it is attractive. It tends to be quieter but I have never felt out of place with my 4 and 6 year old. YC is closer to the boat dock. Epcot is still a very short walk.

I would stay at either but I prefer the Yacht Club. I like the decor a little better and I like being a little bit away from the hustle at Beach Club.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: