Quantcast Snakes and gators in the park - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

On our November trip we were looking down at the rabbits in WL courtyard and saw a large snake stealthing up on them. Called the front desk - someone came out and approached the area we were pointing to and promptly booked it Some "experts" came out and bagged the critter up - he was a good 5-6 feet. Forget the type as I am not an "expert" but they said not poisonous - kids loved it, rabbits - prolly not so much.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HackLaSalle View Post
    Dude, totally with you. But even hearing these stories are making me scared. I'm writing a check list:

1. No water park ever.
    2. Never going back to FW
    3. Stay indoors at the Poly with lots of Lapu Lapu (Snakes hate drunk people.)

Why can't someone come on this thread and be like no no snakes at WDW. They have special snake repelling electric fences that don't let snakes near people.

But yeah I'd totally want to see a gator.

I've seen Armadillos, bunnies, big ole spiders, the little lizards and deer. No snakes. Heaven help me if I did.

that's funny you say that. i was making my own list of places to avoid. LOL
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Once in the MK, in Frontierland, not far from where the bathrooms are by the walk through to Adventureland, a 12 inch snake was slithering along. A cast member with broom and "dustpan" was encouraging it to go back towards the water around Tom Sawyer Island. I admit that sitting near the bushes there for parades kind of creeps me out. Have seen snakes only twice at FW over the past 20 years.
    Too numerous visits to count. Resorts stayed at include:

Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary
    Fort WIlderness
    Beach Club Villas
    Yacht Club
    Board Walk Villas
    Swan
    Dolphin
    Polynesian
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Saratoga Springs
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge Villas
    WIlderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    - probably a regular as folks were feeding him.

On our trip last month, we saw a gator twice - once one swam by by waterway (We were at the Beach Club) behind the bus stop and another day we saw - probably the same one - in a different area of the waterway over by the Beach Club building.
    I've seen a good sized one in the water at Beach Club several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    When I worked at Splash in 2003-4, we actually had a "Gator Watch" position. Why? Because guests couldn't stop feeding the gators
    Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    Oh my, that's bad. You should never, never feed an alligator. Not only is it illegal, it makes them lose their fear of man and thus makes them a danger.
    Yes, it is illegal in Florida to feed alligators. In many cases, gators that have lost that fear of humans become aggressive and have to be killed when they are caught. Not a very nice fate for a majestic animal whose ancestors were in the state long before humans.

Oh, and by the way - - This picture was taken by a WDW custodian who was cleaning a restroom in MK around 3am one morning about 4 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

See that gator looks cute and happy like it could use that toilet like it thinks it's a people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Yes, it is illegal in Florida to feed alligators. In many cases, gators that have lost that fear of humans become aggressive and have to be killed when they are caught. Not a very nice fate for a majestic animal whose ancestors were in the state long before humans.

Oh, and by the way - - This picture was taken by a WDW custodian who was cleaning a restroom in MK around 3am one morning about 4 years ago.
    HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

if i saw that on my way to the bathroom, i think the purpose of my visit would have taken place right there and no need to use the toilet, but a trip back to the hotel might be necessary..
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was preparing for my first trip to WDW I had a guidebook that said that the imagineers need to regularly go out and repaint a gator that can be seen when you take the railroad around the park near the River of America because frequently real gators see it and try to fight with it for the territory.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they could teach the alligator some manners
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

A few years back we saw animal control trying to get an alligator (about 6 footer) under control on the road to the Magic Kingdom. They had about 4 guys. It was real close to the contemporary. Also saw another one in Animal Kingdom right by the wild bird show only about 2 feet long.

Post Thanks / Like

We saw a small gator once sunning at the edge of a litte pond (or maybe a water hazard for the golf course) at OKW.
    Pooh Fan
    DVC Member- Home Resort SSR
    Sep 2000 - CBR & Dis Wonder
    Sep 2004 - OKW
    Sep 2006 - Pop
    Sep 2008 - OKW
    Feb/Mar 2009 - Off Site
    Sep 2009 - AKV
    Sep 2011 - OKW
    Sep 2012 - Paradise Pier
    Sep 2013 - Offsite and AKV
    Sep 2014 - ASM
    Nov 2015 - SSR
    May 2018 - OKW/AKV Kidani
    Jan 2020 - SSR

Post Thanks / Like

In 2009 (our last trip to WDW) we were the happy recipients of a free fireworks cruise on the lake. We just happened to be at WL when someone cancelled out on their cruise and we were at the right place at the right time. My daughter and 2 granddaughters and I were at the pier when the captain asked if we were interested...of course we said YES!
    Well, just as we were settling in to watch the fireworks the captain spotted a gator a few feet from our boat. The youngest seemed more interested in the fact that an alligator was so close than the fireworks themselves. My daughter and I were thrilled with our good fortune and the show was spectacular...even with a gator so near.
    Grammie

July 1988 Disneyland
    Aug 1997 Dixie Landings
    July 2003 off site
    Dec 2004 Day trip to Epcot
    Nov 21-Dec 1, 2007 CBR
    Nov 18-28, 2009 POP
    Nov 18-26, 2016 POP

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked at Animal Kingdom backstage another cast member spotted a snake. I quickly saw the stripes and knew it was a coral snake. I called animal control and they came and got him. I have never seen a gator. My family has but not me. I remember there is a video of a baby alligator in the splash mountain water on YouTube. I am guessing the video is still up if you search for it. I watched it on YouTube years ago.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a gator in the waters by Frontierland. As long as he stays in the water, I'm good
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gators and snakes

Although I've never seen any in the park, I'm sure they pop up from time to time. We stay at Hilton Head every year as well where there are many gators. Being from Tennessee, I also know a lot about our venomous snakes. The thing to remember is to give them room and if they accidentally get near, they will do their best to get away. Water Moccasins are not the monsters people make them out to be. I've had many encounters with them in the wild and as a police officer. They are very shy and will do everything they can to get away. They do not like being near people. Gators aren't shy but will leave you alone as well as long as you don't try to pet them. Just like any wild animal, look but don't touch.

Post Thanks / Like

On more than one visit I have seen gators in the water that surrounds Tom Sawyer Island. cast members were looking into the water so I stopped to see what was going on. They told me that they are always in there.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I have just been fascinated at the number of encounters and the variety of locations! Sat here just for fun now and tallied them up! Unbelievable! I will no longer just saunter around oblivious to my surroundings, assuming all is well! LOL Not concerned so much about the gators, but I am terrified of snakes!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattHolst View Post
    Although I've never seen any in the park, I'm sure they pop up from time to time. We stay at Hilton Head every year as well where there are many gators. Being from Tennessee, I also know a lot about our venomous snakes. The thing to remember is to give them room and if they accidentally get near, they will do their best to get away. Water Moccasins are not the monsters people make them out to be. I've had many encounters with them in the wild and as a police officer. They are very shy and will do everything they can to get away. They do not like being near people. Gators aren't shy but will leave you alone as well as long as you don't try to pet them. Just like any wild animal, look but don't touch.
    Small world!!! We always did HHI when I was young, we saw TONS of gators there, sometimes big ones too! One time we were taking a bike path to the beach and a BIGGGG gator was across the path lol it was big enough to scare me bad and I love all things scaley!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

i live in the midwest, there are snakes, but not a lot. but during the winter they all hibernate to get away from the snow and winter.
    since there is no snow or cold in florida, do snakes hibernate there as well? Just curious.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    When I was preparing for my first trip to WDW I had a guidebook that said that the imagineers need to regularly go out and repaint a gator that can be seen when you take the railroad around the park near the River of America because frequently real gators see it and try to fight with it for the territory.
    Actually, these are no where near the Rivers of America - and never have been They're more towards the ToonTown/new Fantasyland train station, just before the underpass. They're on the bank of a *canal* that runs along the back side of Magic Kingdom, but on the opposite side of the park from Rivers of America Oh - and, yes, I have seen gators in that canal as well (while Conductor/Engineer on the trains).
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: