Quantcast St. Augustine - Suggestions / Advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Augustine - Suggestions / Advice

Hi everyone! We've decided to stop a couple of days in the St. Augustine area on our way home from Disney next year and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or suggestions. We'd really like to find a nice hotel on the ocean...beach access is the most important feature for us.

Also, are there any restaurants in the area that would be considered "must do"?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't stay at the beach access hotel, but there are plenty of them. Most of the best food is in the old town section. Just walk through the old town and you'll see a wide variety of restaurants, all of which are good.

Must sees - the Pirate Museum (part of which was done by Disney), Castillo de San Marcos (if you like history), the Lighthouse, and one of my favorites was the St Augustine Alligator Farm. Every species of crocodillian in the world is there (Mythbusters even filmed an episode there). Very cool place, especially the ropes course/zip lines that take you right over the croc enclosures. You can also go to the Fountain of Youth Park, which is the place the Spanish explorers actually thought was the Fountain of Youth (and, yes, you can drink from the spring, though I didn't feel any younger afterwards unfortunately). There is a lot to see there other than the fountain, including the place where the Spanish explorers first landed and their original fort location.

It's a really neat town. You might also want to check into some of the cruises. They have a variety and it really depends on what you're looking for. We went with St Augustine Eco Tours because my son loves wildlife. We saw many dolphins and other wildlife up close. They also have a pirate ship boat excursion and another sightseeing tour from an 19th century schooner which is cool.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I found a Hampton Inn on St. Augustine Beach and it seems to have decent reviews. Are there any hotels or areas we should steer clear of? (We're looking for something comparable to the level of a deluxe hotel at Disney.)

Thanks so much for the info Strmchsr!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of any areas to stay away from. I certainly haven't run across any. I would say if you're looking for more of a deluxe experience look for the condos/resorts more than the hotel. Most of the hotels I saw right on the beach were okay, but I wouldn't consider them deluxe. The nicest places were the condos you could rent for a couple of nights. Most of those places have pics where you can view the rooms.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not aware of any beach hotel that would be comparable with a disney deluxe resort, the nicest hotels in st augustine are in downtown-the hilton bayfront and the casa monica. The beach hotels are more bare bones. You should avoid the st augustine beach resort-good location, but has made tripadvisor's worst hotel in america list several times as #1 worst (it wasnt on there this year, but i wouldnt risk it). i'm sorry I cant give you anymore hotel advice-but since I live here I never stay in a hotel!

For dining, must do's are O'steen's on Anastasia Island (between the beach and the bridge of lions) It's just a fried seafood place, but it's been here forever and it's the best fried shrimp you'll ever have. Cash only and go between lunch and dinner, say at or after 2, or there's a long wait. The other place I'd say is the Columbia, in downtown st augustine. Fabulous food, be sure to get the 1905 salad. They also have their own parking which is a plus in downtown.
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Post Thanks / Like

I just booked a long labor day weekend trip to St. Augustine and I have never been. I'm looking forward to it! I'm glad I read this thread as there are a few nice places to try that I may check out. If anybody else has any other ideas, keep them coming!

I chose a 2 bedroom pet friendly condo on the beach. I am taking my great aunt and a friend, and the dog. It looks to be about 15 min drive down A1A from historic downtown, but I'm ok with driving. It was hard for me to find a condo vacation rental that was relatively reasonable in the historic district that is pet friendly.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Castillo de San Marcos, then don't miss Fort Mantanzas National Monument just south on A1A. It's a smaller fort and reached only by ferry boat run by the NPS.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

We always stay in the old city rather than the beach. If you really want a beach resort I would maybe head south to Daytona and stay at the Shores resort and spa. St.augustine is fantastic but not as much for the beach. Our favorite pizza place in the world is in the heart of the old city called Pizzalley. We have to eat there every trip.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Another "local" vote for O'steen's. Small and rustic but really worth it for the food. There is an antics store right next door and they will announce your name in the store if you are on the waiting list if you want to brouse. Otherwise, take a seat on the benches outside the door and wait with the usually local croud. PS...the bathroom is on the other side of the building, you have to go outside to get to it and there can be a line, so use it first if you can. Enjoy the shrimp for me, it's yummy, and have a piece of pie!
    șoș figgie șoș - Now living our dreams in sunny Florida close to the mouse!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: