Quantcast Avatarland Project

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatarland Project

I personally still don't like the idea, but.....

Update 5/21/12: James Cameron has revealed that "Avatar Land" will include a ride that simulates flight. This is the first specific detail of the project that has been announced.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The popular film AVATAR will be coming to life at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2015. Disney Parks' newest venturewill happen in cooperation with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.

Lightstorm Entertainment and Walt Disney Imagineers will work together to bring the fantasy world to the parks, as construction on the first AVATAR-themed land will begin by 2013. The project is currently in the design phase. Disney says "Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature - real and mythical - in new ways. Disney's Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship - themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR."

There are currently two sequels to the film being planned, so the AVATAR world will only have more opportunities to grow as more characters and stories are developed.
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard somewhere that Avatarland was not going to happen?? But with this information, it looks like whoever told me that was wrong...hmm I'm not sure about Avatarland's popularity after all the movies are done and everyone forget's about it...it would sort of become irrelevant like Kim Possible in the World Showcase when that show hasn't been on television in years.
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea!! I can't wait to see Avatar Land!!! I think Pandora was such a beautiful place I hope the Land looks like it did, it would be amazing if they lit the paths with black lights at night and made the plants UV. I'm stoked about all of it as well as the next movies!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamBelle View Post
    ...hmm I'm not sure about Avatarland's popularity after all the movies are done and everyone forget's about it...it would sort of become irrelevant like Kim Possible in the World Showcase when that show hasn't been on television in years.
    Although I agree with you, one could have made the same argument with Indiana Jones or Toy Story in DHS or Buzz Lightyear in MK.

Sounds like they're banking on the success of the first film and the anticipated successes of the 2nd and 3rd installments...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

A flight simulator linked to a movie....Hmmmm, where have I heard this before....and before that....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

The whole concept of Avatarland makes my blood boil. Disney needs to stop copying other parks ideas and come up with their own ideas for better attractions.

I'm just coming back from a trip to the MK where I saw a lot of run down attractions and out of date attractions that need to be replaced before building something like this.
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Avatar is going to take over CMM... Lion King would be moved closer to Harambe...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    The whole concept of Avatarland makes my blood boil. Disney needs to stop copying other parks ideas and come up with their own ideas for better attractions.

I'm just coming back from a trip to the MK where I saw a lot of run down attractions and out of date attractions that need to be replaced before building something like this.
    Disney has to have an answer to Harry Potter, I think it has to be more than the fantasyland expansion and I think Avatarland is what they need.

When Harry Potter opened I personally was like ehhh, who cares? However, I hadnt read any of the books nor seen any of the movies. I started reading the books and now I'm nearly done with the 6th book and I totally get why people want to go to Universal, I cant wait to go myself. Disney has to have an answer to it.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

10. Likes Disney-Nut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Disney has to have an answer to Harry Potter, I think it has to be more than the fantasyland expansion and I think Avatarland is what they need.

When Harry Potter opened I personally was like ehhh, who cares? However, I hadnt read any of the books nor seen any of the movies. I started reading the books and now I'm nearly done with the 6th book and I totally get why people want to go to Universal, I cant wait to go myself. Disney has to have an answer to it.
    Ok, I can see your point. The problem is that they seem to be countering a cutural phenomenon with a pretty good movie that made lots of money. Its kind of like countering the Taj Mahal with a White Castle. Sure White Castles make tons of money for what they are, but, really, couldn't we have done a little better here?

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

The Avatar movie itself was not that good in my opinion. The Harry Potter franchise was huge but to me now, it's just another area of Universal's parks. Sure it's neat to have a whole section themed to a huge movie franchise but just because Universal did it doesn't mean it will work for Disney.

Disney has so many of it's own styles and characters movies that if it really wanted to put a whole themed area in- it could use something more "Disney" then Avatar. Avatar was not Magical to me at all.
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

The Avatar movie was a special effects film with zero charm. It's an anti-disney movie whose only redeeming quality was that it "looked pretty". The fact that Disney picked this to latch on to is sad imo. It's the opposite of what Disney is all about.

Proof: Go up to anyone who saw the film and ask them to give you one character's name without looking it up. I have yet to meet anyone who can. They can't because nobody gave a flip about any of the characters - they were all uninteresting stereotypes with no personality or creativity. (That said, I'm sure there is someone here who can and will, but the percentage is incredibly minuscule from my experience.)
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I agree that Avatar fails as a Disney property because it is weak in the one area that Disney always excelled at.....story telling. If I was a Disney exec, before I plunked down a bazillion bucks on something, I had better be real sure people give a rip about the characters.....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Zero interest.

And I don't think it can even compete with Harry Potter. No comparison. Harry Potter appealed to a generation. Avatar was "just a movie."
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason why I don't see Avatar having the staying power that other franchises have had, is that it can't be marketed very well. I mean, what kind of Avatar themed toy would you buy? (Other than figurines maybe of those characters you can't name). Most of these franchises have great tie ins and appeal more to children.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Fantasyland is not the response to Potter people think it is.. It was a necessity... And even with that, TDO had to have it shoved down their throat...

Imagineering HAS Potter swatters all designed and planned... The WE CANNOT SPEND MONEY OR ELSE OUR BONUSES MAY BE LESS MAFIA refused to green light any of them...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

In a way this is a perfect fit since Avatar is pretty much Pocahauntis story done with CGI
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    Zero interest.

And I don't think it can even compete with Harry Potter. No comparison. Harry Potter appealed to a generation. Avatar was "just a movie."
    I agree 100%!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as how the Avengers is setting up to be the biggest box office success of all time, me thinks this Avatarland is a baaaaad idea.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    The Avatar movie was a special effects film with zero charm. It's an anti-disney movie whose only redeeming quality was that it "looked pretty". The fact that Disney picked this to latch on to is sad imo. It's the opposite of what Disney is all about.

Proof: Go up to anyone who saw the film and ask them to give you one character's name without looking it up. I have yet to meet anyone who can. They can't because nobody gave a flip about any of the characters - they were all uninteresting stereotypes with no personality or creativity. (That said, I'm sure there is someone here who can and will, but the percentage is incredibly minuscule from my experience.)
    Neytri, Jake Sully, Grace. Scouts honor I didn't look em up.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst thing is that I'm a die hard HP fan and still don't see any appeal to the HP universal park..I read all the books as they came out, same with movies, every one midnight premiers in full costume, I've still never had a ounce of desire to go...I don't know it just doesn't look that awesome at all..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: