Quantcast NYC Mini-Break Trip report- Day One

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default NYC Mini-Break Trip report- Day One

Husband and I missed the city and wanted a romantic escape. We love New York City and eventually plan to retire there (maybe in Brooklyn, Jersey City, or anyplace close and more affordable than Manhattan). We used his Marriott points (accumulated from far too much business travel) and checked into the Carlton (on Madison and 28th) for a four day weekend.

May 17-20. Sherri and Sean, romantic weekend in Manhattan.

The Carlton- loved it! It was the historic Seville Hotel in Manhattan, and the building has retained it's gorgeous 1904 styling (think Downton Abbey- Belle Epoque times), with more comfortable modern touches. During our stay, the hotel restaurant Millisime (voted a top ten restaurant in Manhattan) celebrated an anniversary and actually gave away lunch at 1904 prices- $1.25 for appetizer, entree, and dessert. We had a king executive room, spacious and comfortable with a wonderful bed. I've stayed at many NYC hotels and this was my favorite so far (though the Muse on 48th and between 6th and 7th was a close second).

Day One, Thursday: We parked in New Haven's Union Station and took the train in. Arrived early to secure a parking space in said station's lot before business commuters took all spaces. So, basically, we arrived in Grand Central Station before 9 a.m. Deep in the bowels of GCS, to emerge six blocks or so from the Lexington and 42nd entrance I'm most familiar with. Walked the blocks to the Carlton and checked our bags, room was not ready. Service, impeccable. They took our bags and arranged to call us when room was ready. We proceeded to breakfast at the hotel restaurant Millisime. Sadly, prices were not 1904 prices, but $16 for an omelet. So be it.

Actually, I had three eggs over easy with sausage, potatoes, and multi grain toast. Husband had mushroom and gruyere omelet with multi grain toast. Plus juice and coffee. Slow service, decent way too filling breakfast. By 10:30 a.m, we were walking toward Rockefeller Center (a few blocks over and twenty three or so blocks up). At 30 Rock (where my publisher has offices, but no business this trip) we explored, shopped, and eventually ended up at our favorite city wine bar, Morrell, dining al fresco. Shopping score: chocolates at Teuscher (my favorite NY chocolatier), and an orange leather cross body bag from Michael Kors Michael line (LOVE the bag), plus some Banana Republic polo style shirts for husband from Banana Republic.

While at lunch, the NBC news ticker revealed that Donna Summer died, which shocked us and we had a toast in her honor. Plus a cheese plate. That was lunch. While there, we got the call that our room was ready.

We decided to head back downtown on a Gray Line double decker tour bus, and it turns out that grabbing said bus at Rock Center vs Times Square is a good idea. We had seats on top, which were unavailable to people who joined the tour later in the day. We headed from Rock Center to Central Park and back down, making it back to the Empire State Building stop (Macy's at 34th) and walked to our Madison Ave and 28th hotel to get our room. For those considering bus tours: Gray Line is good, but you might have to change buses now and then. Plus, Times Square is the most popular and also far most crowded place to catch a bus. Battery Park and Central Park, in contrast, were relatively good places and not crowded places to get on board. Lessons learned in sunny warm NYC.

By the time our bus arrived at the Empire State Building stop, we were ready to head to the hotel, check into our room, and rest a bit. Our room was only third floor (husband prefers higher rooms in NYC) but had great street views and a guy in his apartment across the street who was always sitting in his window on his computer (added extra people watching). Later in the day, we trusted the concierge for a restaurant recommendation and were not disappointed. William, our concierge, set us up at I Trulli, an Italian place in Murray Hill. I Trulli had a lovely hostess, friendly wine bar and female bartender, and fantastic service with seating in a garden outdoor setting and decent homemade pasta and other specialties. Husband had the saffron dumplings with sausage and I ordered the tasting menu (had to share, too much food). The outstanding menu item was the orecchiette with rabbit. Wow. Main dish was seafood stew with fresh seafood like mussels, clams, shrimp. Truly a good meal, great service, lovely night. Plus a short walk through great neighborhoods to our hotel. Tomorrow, more bus touring and exploring lower Manhattan.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report to read. Looking forward to reading the rest of it. Especially since we will be there in a couple months or so.

Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

NIce to hear a report from a person that really knows NYC!! Sounds like you are having a great time.

The only time we have spent the night in NYC was 3 years ago when we first moved to the East Coast. Loved the Waldorf Astoria but I won't spend the money to say overnight in NYC again unless I cant avoid it.

We can get to the city by noon and leave at 8pm. It is an easy trip since we have an Amtrak station a few miles from our house. And if I get the tickets in advance it is only $25 one way!!

Some trip I would like to go somewhere besides Times Square but if we see a show, we run out of time.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun!
    I'm taking notes for our trip next month. Going to look up the wine bar and the Italian restaurant. There are so many restaurants in NY that it's great to have a recommendation.

Denise
    '72 & '76 FW
    '88 Off Site
    '98 Dixie Landings
    '00 Treehouse Villas
    '02 & '03 POR
    '04 & '05 WL
    '06 & '07 POR
    '07 WL
    '09 POR
    '11 AKL
    '13 WL