Quantcast Boardwalk, Swan or Dolphin

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boardwalk, Swan or Dolphin

I "think" it's between the three for our Oct stay.
    We haven't stayed at any of them so I need a little info for those that have.

I know the Swan and Dolphin don't have ME but they still have Disney transport to the parks right?

A couple of questions: I have been told that you can walk to EPCOT and DSH from all three of these resorts. By looking on the map it looks like they are all about the same distance away, is that correct? How far is the walk from the hotels to the parks? How is the busing to the parks? There is a big price difference between the Boardwalk and the other two. Is the Boarwalk worth the extra money. Please keep in mind that the real boardwalk (AC) is only 30 mins from my home so that is not so much a big deal for me. I guess the biggest things are location (I don't care for Disney buses and would rather walk when possible) and cost.

We will be spending 2 days at EPCOT, and one day each at the MK, AK & DHS.

Please give me the good points and bad of each. If you have a better suggestion let me know!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at BW 1X and Dolphin 3X. BW was better and a little closer to both Epcot and DHS, but not worth $100 more a night (both with max discounts.) Sounds like 5 nights, so if you're willing to pay $500 more (assuming discouncts are comparable,) go for BW. But you can't go wrong with Dolphin, and I'm sure Swan too.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed at the swan or dolphin, but have explored both and think they look great. The location is about the same to Epcot and DHS as the Boardwalk. On the other hand, the Boardwalk is my favorite resort and I think it is great. If you can afford it, I would recommend staying there.
    19 Trips to WDW
    Last Trip: August 10 BW
    Next Trip: June 12 BW

Post Thanks / Like

We're big deluxe resort fans and usually stay at the Poly or GF on the club level. However, we've been staying at the Swan recently, because they give a great educator's discount that beats even the PIN codes I've received. For example, we booked an excutive suite at the Swan for our December trip for about $450 a night, with taxes and fees, and a standard club level room at the Poly was going to cost about $580 a night with a 20% pin code. We think saving $130 a night plus having an additional living room space where we can watch tv or eat while the kids are in bed is well worth being there versus a Disney deluxe. If we had done a regular room, we would have saved about $300 a night!

The hotel might not have as much theming as a Disney owned deluxe does, but it's still a nice hotel. I'd say it's on par with any Westin. The rooms are nice, and the amenities (pools, restaurants, etc.) are just as good, if not better, than the Disney deluxes. Really, all they're missing is the theming. We also really like the location. Yes, you can walk to EPCOT pretty easily. It's about a 15 minute walk through the Boardwalk. The Boardwalk itself is 5 minutes away, and that includes time walking through the hotel to get there. I haven't walked the route to the Studios, but I think it's a bit further and more secluded.

I'd say if having a true Disney theme is very important to you, go to the Boardwalk, but if you just want a nice hotel, save your money and go to the Swan!

Post Thanks / Like

If cost is an issue go with Swam or Dolphin, but I am just a fan of Disney hotels so if I could afford it , I'd go with the BW.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the responses. Theming is not important to me. Cost and location is more important because we are not getting a car this time and want to avoid the buses as much as possible. Has anyone walked from the hotels to DHS? If so how long is it and is it safe?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Have done the walk to both parks from all three hotels. From swan or dolphin it's probably about 12-15 min to epcot, and maybe about 20 min to DHS. The walk to both is on a sidewalk, crossing no trafic, and I think it's actually pretty and relaxing. All three are great hotels, but if cost is the driving factor, swan or dolphin are probably your best choices. As far as transportation goes these hotels are pretty equal.
    Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

My family has stayed at the Swan and Boardwalk Inn, each several times. Walks to DS or Epcot are easy, boats are a great option too. There is Disney bus service to MK n AK. The Swan beds are wonderful. We love the location!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Theming is not important to me. Cost and location is more important because we are not getting a car this time and want to avoid the buses as much as possible. Has anyone walked from the hotels to DHS? If so how long is it and is it safe?
    The walk from the hotels to DHS is one of my favorite parts of the area. Very beautiful and relaxing.
    19 Trips to WDW
    Last Trip: August 10 BW
    Next Trip: June 12 BW

Post Thanks / Like

No magical express to either the swan or dolphin...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to factor in your cost to get you to the hotel from the airport if you go with swan or dolphin, which the fee I believe is usually per person. Also, the ride back to the airport.

The walk is about the same with any three of those resorts to DHS and Epcot. I would say give or take 15 minutes to either. And thats if you stroll along at an easy pace. The walk is beautiful, and plenty safe. There is a walkway straight to DHS.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

You can also take a boat from any of those resorts to Epcot and DHS. It makes multiple stops but is a nice relaxing ride if you don't feel like walking.

Post Thanks / Like

Id go w Swan Dolphin as Ive stayed once at each yrs ago. the walk to Epcot or DHS isnt bad. its about half mile maybe i think its a mile from park to park.
    If you live b the ocean in Jersey...the Boardwalk is like that except cleaner and safer..
    Ive never really thought about staying at BW cause of cost and theme doesnt excite me. I stayed at BC and thought it was overated..except for location which is great for me and Epcot.
    the buses to MK or AK are shared between all the resorts in the area. which means u are on the bus w people staying at Swan Dolphin BW YC BC...so thats bad.
    and if u stay swan dolphin as said no Magical Express
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. We won't be using ME anyway because we are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel for the first part of our trip.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Save the money and stay at the Dolphin. It's lovely, and frankly I've never understood the sentiment that it's not "themed." It's sort of a whimsical marine theme, but Mickey isn't hiding behind every corner. Pool's great too.

As others have said, it's a nice walk to Epcot and DHS. If you really want to avoid the bus to MK, you can walk through Epcot after it opens (entering through the International Gateway) and take the monorail to the TTC. It will take longer, but it's a nice trek.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Dolphin. It is one of our favorite resorts. We have stayed at all three and the Boardwalk is our least favorite. It is actually the least favorite of all the deluxe resorts for us. The Swan is very quiet and relaxing. The Dolphin just has a great vibe and with my wife's nursing discount is usually our best choice. The walk to DHS is nice and takes about 20mins. The Swan/Dolphin are the last stop for the boat headed to DHS so if one is near the dock it is much quicker to ride. The walk to Epcot is very nice and you can walk thru the Yacht/Beach club resort or the Boardwalk in route to Epcot. Picabu is the 24hr dining at the Dolphin and is among the best fast food options we have experienced at any of the resorts. Bluezoo and Shula's Steakhouse are fantastic fine dining options. The pool at Swan/Dolphin is very relaxing with its waterfall grotto. Request a high room and you can't beat the view from the Dolphin!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

it has been a few trips ago since i stayed at the Dolphin and got lucky w a corner room w balcony and window on other corner. If I had had a diff view Im not sure how it would be. Shulas looks way out of my league. I did like Kimonos and would eat there again. Never tried Picabu
    I am thinking of staying in this area again..as I said I didnt like BC really at all and BW decor just looks to uhmm....wondering if YC is better. so Id guess Id go w YC or Dolphin
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Save the money and stay at the Dolphin. It's lovely, and frankly I've never understood the sentiment that it's not "themed." It's sort of a whimsical marine theme, but Mickey isn't hiding behind every corner. Pool's great too.
    This is so true! I've never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin but I've been to both while resort hopping and exploring and they are very themed. I hear the heavenly beds are amazing too!! My friend is staying at the Dolphin for the first time as we speak and she called me yesterday to tell me all about her trip so far and she was saying how much they love it there!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We loved our stay at the Swan. The Swan, Dolphin and BW all share the same boats, I think. Probably BC and YC, too. We loved taking boats instead of buses where available. The walk to the boats from the Swan was short, as was the walk to the pools shared by the Swan and Dolphin. Loved the pools! Once inside the hotel, you're in AC and the elevators are close by, so less walking overall, I thought.

Downside-- you can't do a dining plan with Disney, but we used the "food court" and ate at several different counter services in the two resorts. Also had to pay for transportation to the hotel, but we used a limo service and that was more convenient than Disney buses. Even stopped for groceries.

If you have to pay full price, go with BW. If you can get a discount (we also used the substantial Educators' discount), the Swan is gorgeous. Fantasia mini-golf is nearby, too.
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

booked Dolphin for 2 nites w AP..$201 a nite for June 1st..gonna check AAA and SPG as something was mentioned about an upgrade. and I heard the govt, teacher discount was good but I dont qualify for that
    heard the eateries give u discount w AAA, although i have AP and will get Tables in Wonderland card.
    the boats pick u up for both Swan and Dolphin right there..if you are heading to DHS, its the next stop. if going to Epcot they stop at Bw, yc, then epcot. the walk isnt bad either to both parks so will prob do that also.
    the only place I really ate at before was Kimonos, great sushi. Shulas was just $$ out of my league.
    as far as boardwalk area eating...pixxa window was ok, ESPN ...
    trips before i tried Big River..wasnt impressed then but that was a while ago.
    and tried Yachtsman steakhouse..eh ok..
    I will prob stick to eating in Epcot DHS for that part of trip
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2