Quantcast ideas for meals in the room

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ideas for meals in the room

We are leaving in a little over a month for my DS first trip! We can't wait. We are going on a very tight budget and plan to take a lot of our out snacks a breakfast foods in the room. I'm also taking bread, PB & jelly. We are staying at Pop and will only have the mini fridge. Any other quick fix meal suggestions? I know there are very few options with no microwave.
    Thanks!
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe there should be a microwave available in the food court so you might take advantage of that.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Faline. I hadn't thought of that! that will give us a few more options.

Does anyone know if you can still buy a double cheeseburger and an extra bun? if so how much are buns now?
    Alice
    10 trips and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Cereal with milk
    Cheese sandwiches
    Fruit, granola bars, and yogurt
    Salad fixings (lettuce/tomato/cucumber/bell peper, chopped cooked bacon, deli ham, croutons, etc.)

I travel alot for work and these are some of my staples. Hope this helps.
    Off-site August 1986
    All Star Music May/June 1999
    Coronado Springs August 2012
    Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2017
    Port Orleans Riverside June 2022 (planned)

Post Thanks / Like

My sister always brings a toaster with her!
    Cereal and milk is what we usually do for breakfast in our room.
    If you have the fridge, you could also put some fresh fruit or yogurt in there. We usually stock ours up with juiceboxes and bottles of water as well.
    Then we bring a small soft-sided lunch-bag sized cooler for snacks in the park, like granola bars, fruit, gummies, etc. One year when we were on a tight budget, we even made sandwiches in our hotel room, put them in Ziploc baggies and brought those along for lunch at the parks!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys like tuna? You can buy the pouches. Also we like taking prepackaged peanut butter crackers.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Tuna pouches is a great idea! And that's something that my 3 year old will eat. YAY!
    I've got tons of breakfast & snack ideas. I just needed some for lunch. We are still eating dinner out each night. Maybe we can make it on Tuna & PB for lunches
    Alice
    10 trips and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Cheese sticks! They're a great snack to pair with fruit.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with cereal, you could bring instant oatmeal packets. You can use the coffee pot to heat water.

Just a thought...you could probably almost heat hot dogs in the hot water?

Sliced lunch meats would work good too.
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

Post Thanks / Like

when we are on holiday, my kids LIVE on PB&J - we put it on flour tortillas isntead of bread. I don't know why but they loved it when they were little and never grew out of the tortillas. I find that these travel better too. I make them ahead (before overseas flights even) - stick them in a ziplock and then they will eat them over the course 12 hours! It isn't the MOST healthy thing...but there is lots worse.

We also do cereal bars, packaged cheese/crackers, even crackers/hummus (stays cool for a few hrs in park), fruit, low sugar fig newtons, my kids love yogurt-covered rice cakes too!

*If they have micro for your use in hotel, the micro EZ Mac could be good for lunch - and you could keep it warm with thermos-type items.

KUDOS to you for great planning and prioritizing!

Have fun!!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

something to add to the list... bagels with cream cheese.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all about cutting costs whenever possible! And we're big time campers, so alot of easy meals in our repertoire! Our first trip I packed an entire suitcase of food for breakfast, snacks & lunch/dinner! We always do breakfast in the room, it's a huge time & money saver! Mostly cereal, bagels, muffins, etc. And we aren't big eaters so we're all ready for mid morning snack from our packs, which include cereal bars, granola bars, raisins, slim jims, anything that doesn't easily melt or crumble!

You won't have a micowave in your room at Pop but there are some in the food court that you can use. My first thoughts were of the staple quick foods that my DH & DS's like, which include PB, on yes on a tortilla shell (which travels well is awesome - especially warmed!), also you will have a frdige in your room with the new upgrades to the Value resorts! You didn't mention, but I'm wondering if you are driving & can bring cooler(s)? Hot dogs are a staple for my guys! You could even bring a can of chili or a bag of shredded cheese! Vienna sausages are a huge fav for mine! My guys love lunch meat - ham or chicken on a bagel! Bagels are more filling & travel/keep better than a loaf of bread! You could do cans of anything from ravioli, chili, soup, etc, bring a couple of microwavable single serve, say 2 1/2 cup Tupperware bowls & you're all set! Not for WDW, but other vaca's, I've even made a casserole prior to trip that only neded to be reheated, toss in the cooler & there's one meal you don't even have to think about! Think outside of the box! I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of quick & easy options!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We bring water bottles with us to the parks and add a packet of pre sweetened kool aid at lunch time at counter service restaurants.

Rather than trying to eat cheap in the hotel room, I would recommend sharing meals at counter service restaurants and ordering "sandwich only"-- no combo meals. A pizza ordered at the food court is decent and not too much money. Room service pizza is more, so go to the food court and order it there.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought a cheap toaster on a former trip and packed it and then just left it there. I worry, though, about putting that metal object in my suitcase now with security.

I also have bough a cheap hot pot. You can use that to make ramen noodles, soup, cup o soup, etc. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to travel.
    Summer 1978 - off site
    July 2000 - CBR
    May 2001 - PoR & AKL
    Dec 2002 - WL
    Apr 2003 - ASs
    Feb 2004 - Poly
    May 2005 - ASs
    June 2006 - ASs
    June 2008 - Pop
    June 2010 - PoR
    May 2012 - Hilton Garden Inn
    June 2014 - Floridays Resort
    December 2014 - CBR
    March 2015 - Swan
    June 2015 - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

One trip, we packed an entire suitcase full of food. (I was a little annoyed this was the ONLY bag of ours airport security rummaged thru, although I wasn't surprised). We included things like:

Fruit snacks
    Individual boxes of cereal we usually don't eat (fruit loops and the like)
    Granola bars
    Protein bars
    Goldfish
    PB & Jelly
    Plastic bowls, spoons, cups

On board I carried homemade brownies, muffins, cookies

We had limo/town car service w/ grocery stop and purchased
    Half gallon of milk
    Fruit
    Loaf of bread
    Case of water
    Pop
    Juice boxes
    And whatever else wee needed

And purchased at the resort more milk and whatever else we needed.

Kids had their own mini backpacks in which they carried their snacks/drinks for the day.

We maybeeee spent $50/day on food at the
    parks (family of 4 ). We shared CS meals, and still do cuz the portions are ridiculously huge and scheduled only a few nice TS dinners because we, nor the kids, didn't want to spend a couple hours in a restaurant in Disney (a philosophy we still embrace)

It worked like a dream!

May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Do most people bring in small coolers to keep drinks cold? If just put in a backpack, I would think drinks would be pretty warm within a short period of time. I have taken a frozen bottle of water before and drank it as it melted, but even doing that, it doesn't take long when it is hot out before the water is warm.

Post Thanks / Like

We always ask for a cup of ice at ANY CS at Disney. You can add your water you brought in ou just **** on the ice... That's a Chicago thing but it works !
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

DH & I each carry water bottles that we refill throughout the day at the water fountains. Sometimes we add the bottle drink packets if we get tired of plain water. Some people are adverse to the FL water, but we have no complaints. Usually the only "Coke's" we have are with meals or using our refillable mugs at our resort food court. Which btw, purchasing the refillable mugs make those meals less expensive! We've done the math & after a few days, our mugs pay for themselves! Coffee in the AM, drinks by the pool, and we usually eat lunch or dinner at the food court, so this too is way more affordable than other CS's given the refillable mug!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the earlier days of married life when finances were a bit tighter we always did breakfast in the room (for us typically a box of whole grain cereal, a gallon of milk, and some bananas or a bag of frozen strawberries/blueberries to give it some flavor, made for a weeks worth of breakfast at very low cost. (we brought cereal bowls and spoons along with us).

Lunches were a bit more problematic...but tended to be either sandwiches we brought with us into the parks, or we would split counter service meals and supplement with some chips of our own.

As for drinks we each had our own water bottle on a lanyard and carried the individual powder drink mixes...though today I think I would go with the liquid that comes in the small bottles.

By the way, with one in college and another one before too long, finances are starting to tighten up again and we will likely be returning to old habits for a while too.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We share the POP breakfast platters for adults.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: