Quantcast Enhance the magic for the "First Time"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enhance the magic for the "First Time"?

My question to the intercotees:
    If this was your first time in the park what kind of thing would have helped increase the Magic?
    Thanks to Disney and their military discounts, we get to go back to DisneyWorld the end of next month. This time we are bringing along the sister in-law, her husband, and their 8 yr old son.
    I am a park veteran, the better half has been 3-4 times. But the in-laws have never been.
    It is also their 20th wedding anniversary and our 13th.

I remember only too well how immersive, wonderful, and at times overwhelming the world can be.
    But there are also are the little things that help the magic grow.
    We are staying onsite, and will fit in a character meal along the way. There will probably even be pirates among us before we leave adventure land.

Any other ideas?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I still remember my first visit when back when the Magic Kingdom was the only park. Everything seemed so magical - I can't think of anything that anyone could have added that would have made it even more so!

What does the 8 year old like? Perhaps you could structure some of your touring/dining/adventures around his interests.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We brought 50-something-old newbies to WDW in 2010. They had been of the mindset that in order to get their money's worth out of their park passes they had to go on every attraction.

The first day, after lunch at Cosmic Ray's, we were heading for our resort for some down time and came upon the Barbershop Quartet outside the ice cream place.

After listening to the guys, while eating generous ice cream cones, our newbies started to get a different view of money's worth. When they went home, five days later, they were ready to come back with grandkids.

Plan plenty of time in your day to stop and watch or listen to the various Disney special stuff that goes on. Like DeVine at AK, if you happen up on her. I wouldn't try to plan the special stuff, but be on the look out. Another kid favorite at AK, the various drums that are available for playing.

One of DH's favorite Disney memories over the years is of listening to a steel band at Adventureland. This was maybe 25 years ago.

Play it by ear, and watch your family and their expressions. Stop for awhile when necessary. And keep your camera ready. Send them a photo book when you get back home. That'll make the trip special too. It's amazing how easy and inexpensive these make an album places are.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, thats the kind of "Oh dont forget" thing I was looking for! First time I saw DeVine it was almost surreal. Stood there and watched her for like 15 min. She is like a storybook character.
    For the better half one of her favorites was munching on a funnel cake in the evening while watching the performers on the boardwalk. Well.... that and the guy that was a dead ringer for Johnny Depp outside of POC. Never saw a woman so anxious to get picked as a "pirate volunteer"

Post Thanks / Like

BTW There is a very inexpensive program called PhotoSlate by a company calle ACD which lets you litterally create a photo album you can print off one sheet at a time, or the whole book. You can size the photos, decide how many you want per page, decide if you want to throw some ovals and circles in as well, captions....all that kind of stuff. I have used it for years. And you can save the layout with or without the pictures included as a single file. So you can view it, send it or print it at any time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my suggestion: Ride Splash Mountain after dark, and during Wishes if you can.
    On our very first ride on Splash as a family (kids then ages 6 & 9) on was at night, and just happened to be during Wishes, with the fireworks exploding overhead while we were going through the outdoor portions of the ride. It was unexpected, we had not planned it; being newbies, we had no idea when the fireworks show was scheduled. There was a full moon, too. This was a genuinely MAGICAL experience for all of us, and made the whole trip that much more special. So much so that we do it again on every trip.

Any outdoor ride after dark at the MK is extra magical.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: