Quantcast A Decent Beer, Upgrades and Armadillos

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Decent Beer, Upgrades and Armadillos

Who: Me (WDWCrazyKaren) and DH (Surly McCrankyPants)
    When: January 31-February 7, 2012

We're baaaack! I'm not going to do a day by day and blow by blow, as I can never seem to finish a trip report, but I'll try and summarize as best I can.

This was NOT the trip dreams are made of! We had opted for the first week in February instead of January, as last year we had issues with the masses of tour groups. We'd heard they go back to school February 1st, so that's why we changed our dates. It didn't work. At all. We landed at MCO at about noon, were at All Star Music by 1:00PM, and in our king room, 3rd floor about 10 minutes later. This was GREAT! Everything we wanted! Did a quick change of clothes and headed to the bus stop for our tradition of Epcot. No one at the stop-about 10 minutes later a bus came up. There were about 15 people on the bus, all was great. Then we stopped at Sports. Where there were (not exagerating here) 250 teenage girls from South America waiting to catch the bus. Of course, only a small group of them could get on and pack it as full as they could, at which point it went downhill. The volume level was unbearable, the screaming, the hollering, it was awful. Then some brilliant mind decided it would be funny to scream "MOUSE" at the top of her lungs and watch the other guests on the bus react. It was not funny in the least to see an elderly woman trying to jump up on her seat, while the girls are all laughing. I was disgusted.

We spent a few hours at Epcot, but our hearts weren't in it at this point. Back at the resort, we went back to our room and after listening to them scream for a few hours, did actually fall asleep.

First seating of the day at Chef Mickey's on day 2, went very well. Monorail to MK, spent the morning there, then to downtown for a bit. Went back to the resort to shower and head to Epcot for the evening. It was nice. Back at the resort, all heck broke loose again. The groups were as loud and rude as they had been the day before. In the gift shop, waiting to pay for my purchases, and just as soon as it was my turn, a group of about 5 girls pushed in front of me (yes, literally PUSHED me) and tossed their stuff on the counter and laughed. DH lost control at that point. He'd been waiting, saw what happened, and elbowed (probably hard too, since I saw the look on his face!) his way through the girls and stuck his arms out as soon as he got in front of them and pushed them out of the way until I was finished. As we were walking back to the room, he lost it. He was so angry at their behavior, and how it just never stopped. I called the front desk when we got back to the room, but they were busy and said they would call me right back. They never did call back, and after a few hours of waiting, we decided to wait until morning and talk to the front desk at that time.

So, in the morning, we went to the front desk, to ask if there were any other rooms at any of the other value resorts that we could move to that did not have as many tour groups. There was no space available at any of the value resorts. We then advised we would pay the difference to move to a moderate. She checked around and all moderates were fully booked. At that point, a manager came out to help. He looked as well, and again stated all values and mods were fully booked. He started looking at deluxe, but I advised we couldn't afford to move to a deluxe, and that we would just have to either wait it out, or get a refund and move off-site. He then advised he found us a room at Saratoga Springs, no additional upcharge to us. He advised us to go pack our bags and get everything to bell services and that we could head straight over to Saratoga after we were done at the parks. We thanked him profusely and went off to pack our bags. On the way back to the room, DH and I were walking along a path, and all of a sudden we were shocked by an ARMADILLO walking out of the bushes about 3 inches from DH's right shoe! It totally freaked us out, and of course by the time we reached our phones or cameras to take a photo, he was gone already, but it was SO unexpected! Got back to our room, then headed off to DHS, laughing the whole way about the "bush monster".

Spent the morning at DHS, but it was so completely mobbed, that we didn't stay much beyond noon. Went to Saratoga, got checked in, got our KTTW, had a beautiful room in the building right next to the main hall, pool and food. It was stunning, and OH SO QUIET! Our balcony overlooked a small pond with fountain. It was amazing. The boat took us directly across the mighty Sassagoula River to downtown, and the rest of the trip was spent either at Epcot in the evenings, where DH found enjoyment with a Moosehead, and I found enjoyment with a Grey Goose Slushie, and we watched Off Kilter for many nights in a row. We spent very little time in the parks, as they were much more crowded than we can ever recall in a slow season.

We had an absolutely amazing meal at Chefs de France, A+. Also one more fantastic meal at Rose and Crown. Sat outside and watched the world go by. Servers at both were phenomenal. Had too much food on the dining plan (as usual!). But really, as long as we stayed at the resort and out of the parks, we had a pretty nice stay.

I think we're done with Disney for a few years. Until some sort of control can be placed on the groups, we'll find a new vacation spot in the winter. I know nothing can really be done, but it was enough this trip to keep us away. We loved and highly recommend Saratoga Springs, but we certainly could have stayed at a lovely resort somewhere else for far less money.

Peace!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry the rudeness of others put a big damper on your trip. At least, Disney was accomodating and upgraded you to a quiet resort where you could enjoy your downtime.

Any other good meals worth noting?

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you had to encounter so much rudeness. We were there the week prior and only witnessed minor problems. Glad you got a nice upgrade.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing Standards

It sounded to me like Disney did everything possible for you and yet you still feel the need to vent and say you won't go back for a while. That is just a great representation of the standards Disney sets for itself and puts into perspective peoples unrealistic expectations of controlling the uncontrollable. I wish you well vacationing other places, trying to get the same level of service. At least there will be two fewer people in line the next times we return in the immediate future.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about the rude behavior of the teens. There is cultural differences and then there is just plain rude that transcends culture. This sounds like the later. I am glad your vacation had somewhat of a happy ending.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    It sounded to me like Disney did everything possible for you and yet you still feel the need to vent and say you won't go back for a while. That is just a great representation of the standards Disney sets for itself and puts into perspective peoples unrealistic expectations of controlling the uncontrollable. I wish you well vacationing other places, trying to get the same level of service. At least there will be two fewer people in line the next times we return in the immediate future.
    Well, thank you. Disney DID do everything they could. I'm not blaming them. I'm talking about the groups themselves. They cannot be controlled. And that is our issue. It's not Disneys fault, and I don't blame them. I thanked them heavily for doing everything they did, and we never once had a cast member that didn't go overboard. They are truly spectacular in every sense, and letters of thanks and appreciation to certain cast members were very quickly sent out. Luckily, we do travel to other places frequently, and luckily, we know how to travel and be respectful of others. None of my report was a vent against Disney. Simply of the groups. But thanks for twisting my words!
    Karen

"So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I'm sorry the rudeness of others put a big damper on your trip. At least, Disney was accomodating and upgraded you to a quiet resort where you could enjoy your downtime.

Any other good meals worth noting?
    We did have lots of good food. We always eat too much! Other than Chefs and Rose and Crown, we loved breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. We had so much fun, and Alice and the Mad Hatter were awesome! 'Ohana's felt rushed, but the food was just fine, and Chef Mickey's is always fun. We were astounded at the number of kids at Chef Mickey's that were so perfectly behaved! No melt-downs from any of the kids, and that hardly ever happens. Just goes to show you that when you put that much fun into a room, kids are just so darn happy.

Whispering Canyon was fun too. No stick horse races this year, which always make us laugh, but they were all still having a great time. Tusker House breakfast was lots of fun, and the food is great.

We never walk away hungry!
    Karen

"So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nothing Twisted

I simply commented on your report, which happens when you feel the need to write something for all to see. You stated that regardless of Disney and the CMs doing everything possible under their control you will elect to go elsewhere. I simply pointed that out, wished you well, said that would be two fewer people in the park. Again all your words, nothing twisted.

Post Thanks / Like

Karen, wow, sounds like the groups had an impact on your enjoyment level, and moving was a great idea. So glad it worked out well with the move, and that you went low key and enjoyed maybe a different vacation than you expected, but still enjoyed some.

Oh, and the armadillo! Too funny! I've never seen an armadillo walking around at WDW.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, nowhere in my report did I ever say this:

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    You stated that regardless of Disney and the CMs doing everything possible under their control you will elect to go elsewhere.
    Disney and the CM's absolutely did everything they could possibly have done, and I think I made that clear. Yes, we will elect to go elsewhere for a while, but not at the fault of Disney. Do not misunderstand me. I've never had anything but awesome respect for the Disney corporation, and they way they handle everything is spot on. We are not choosing to go elsewhere because of DISNEY, but because of terribly rude, pushy and out of control guests. If you've ever read any of my previous posts, you'll know that I have nothing but love for all things Disney. This won't stop me from seeing their movies, purchasing their merchandise etc. Still a huge Disney fan, and I'll be back someday. And I'm not a "venter" nor a "complainer". I'm a problem solver. I never "asked" for any upgrades. We offered to pay the difference. They were HUGELY supportive, and were amazing, as usual.

Enjoy your trip!
    Karen

"So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Karen, wow, sounds like the groups had an impact on your enjoyment level, and moving was a great idea. So glad it worked out well with the move, and that you went low key and enjoyed maybe a different vacation than you expected, but still enjoyed some.

Oh, and the armadillo! Too funny! I've never seen an armadillo walking around at WDW.
    Saratoga Springs was amazing Sherrie! We were just in awe of the beautiful grounds, the lovely room and view, and how fabulous the boat ride is to downtown. I would highly recommend it. I was thinking that I'd love to stay at the Boardwalk someday, but I'd go back to Saratoga. I haven't heard much about it in the past. Some DVC friends of ours toured it, but chose the Boardwalk instead. We just fell in love with the resort.
    Karen

"So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"

Post Thanks / Like

I definently get what you mean, after 2 disaster January trips (For my birthday) We have sworn off ANY winter months...every again...It absolutely takes so much out of you to navigate against the stampeeds it hugely affected our trips...I wish it didnt burn yall out but I 100% understand how it would.
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I guess rude is rude no matter where you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to write this report. I like to hear about all that happens on WDW trips - good and bad. Sorry you had a bad experience, but what a great upgrade!
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry this trip was not magical for you! It's good to hear that Disney did try to assist you with a better and, quieter location.

Moderator's Note to those responding ot the original poster: When responding to posts, please keep in mind Intercot's Terms of Service. Posters are relating their experiences for the enjoyment/assistance of the rest of us.

We do not permit arguing/flaming users on our boards. Any posts of an argumentative or sarcastic nature are subject to immediate removal from our boards as the Board Moderators see fit.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. All information is helpful when planning a trip and deciding where to stay. It was great there was a room for you to stay at Saratoga. Your meals sounded wonderful and the armadillo. How funny that must have been.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you encountered all this, but not at all surprised to read that it happened. I've seen more and more bad behavior as you described in the last month. The group mentality thing is overwhelming. Help us if they ever take over the deluxe resorts.

You speak of going in slow season, and to be honest, it doesn't really seem there is one anymore. There's slower (than summer and Christmas holidays, of course), but not really slow like we all used to love and think of in January and February. I really think September is probably the slowest month now.

Glad you had some nice meals, and Off Kilter every night with some Moosehead and Grey Goose slushies sounds fantastic! Thanks for reporting!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you! We have had such a bummer time the last couple January's. I am really hoping that this coming week is a little calmer!
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hair_Razor View Post
    I hear you! We have had such a bummer time the last couple January's. I am really hoping that this coming week is a little calmer!
    I sincerely hope the cheerleaders have cleared out for you by then!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: