Quantcast Muster drills and the sad news of the Carnival cruise sinking

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Muster drills and the sad news of the Carnival cruise sinking

After seeing the scary footage of the Carnival Cruise ship that sank off of the Coast of Italy I thought of our last muster drill on the Dream. It was in the theater and at the time I thought it went ok. But looking back at it now I have changed my mind. We did not wear our Life vests and all that really happened was they read off our names. I don't remember being told where our life boats would be or what to do other than to report to the theater. I for one would probably not go to the theater as it is inside and I can't see what is going on. I would feel better outside in a PFD where I can see the life boats and what was happening. Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone else re-thinking their cruise?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    After seeing the scary footage of the Carnival Cruise ship that sank off of the Coast of Italy I thought of our last muster drill on the Dream. It was in the theater and at the time I thought it went ok. But looking back at it now I have changed my mind. We did not wear our Life vests and all that really happened was they read off our names. I don't remember being told where our life boats would be or what to do other than to report to the theater. I for one would probably not go to the theater as it is inside and I can't see what is going on. I would feel better outside in a PFD where I can see the life boats and what was happening. Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone else re-thinking their cruise?
    Last summer, we cruised on Royal Caribbean. It was our first cruise in more than 20 years. We had our muster at our life boat station. We were not required to bring our life vests with us which seemed to make sense. They said they had additional life vests and wanted folks to report directly to the life boat station instead of returning to their cabins to get their life vests. In an emergency, this makes perfect sense. If you happen to be in your cabin, of course you should grab your vest but, otherwise, it would seem to be more dangerous to try to return to your cabin to get your vest. Never heard of a life boat drill held in the theater.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Never been a fan of the muster drill, although I understand what they are for. I was surprised on our last one (summer 2011) no life vests. I'll be honest, it was more bearable and kept my attention more than previous years.

Will this make me rethink a cruise? Nah, although I'm going to wait to see if prices drop. Flew after 9/11, I'll cruise after this. No biggie...

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing the scary footage of the Carnival Cruise ship that sank off of the Coast of Italy I thought of our last muster drill on the Dream.
    The cruise was actually a Costa Cruise which is a luxury cruise not a Carnival Cruise.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, Costa Cruises is one of the companies that make up the Carnival group.

We've had muster both on Deck 4 right next to our assigned lifeboat and in the WD theatre. The important thing is that they give some information rather than simply checking off names. I wouldn't doubt if DCL get a bit more "technical" from now on.

Also, on the same deck where the lifeboats are, there's storage for life jackets in all sizes. Lots and lots of life jackets.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I've only cruised twice. Once on Royal Caribbean where muster drill was held at our lifeboat station wearing our vests. That was 1997. The second time was on Carnival in June 2010. We had to report w/o vest to the disco. What happens if your muster station is underwater or otherwise unusable like the Costa ship? They don't tell you that info.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on a few cruises. The reason why the muster drills are sometimes held in public rooms is because it's more orderly that way. In an emergency, if all goes according to plan, it's easier to have people away from the lifeboats while the crew is preparing them for loading/lowering. When they are ready, in an ideal situation, the groups will then be led out in an orderly fashion from their muster stations to the waiting boats. This sort of assumes there is a lot of time to evacuate the ship. It's easier to account for people that are together in one room than to do so out on deck, in the noise and chaos.

Of course, emergencies are unpredictable. I seem to remember that in addition to having our muster station location, our room door (perhaps) also had the lifeboat number and location on a map. On the last cruise I was on (in 2000), we mustered in a public room (a lounge of some sort), but then we went out and found where our lifeboat was (me and DH did this on our own).

I think too many people become complacent on vacation. You should ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings and know where to go in an emergency, where the exits are, etc. I do this on every plane I am on, every hotel I stay at, and every cruise I go on. It's my responsibility, ultimately, to keep myself safe and know what to do and where to go in an emergency.

I am no more scared of cruising than I was before this accident. However, in the past, when I've cruised, I've always kept it in the back of my mind that I'm on a SHIP, in the middle of the ocean, and something could go wrong.

What I will never understand is people who go on a cruise (or any other boat for that matter) and do not know how to swim! I can't imagine. A lot of those people on that Costa Cruise had to jump ship and swim 300 yards to the shore. I also don't understand how people who aren't independently mobile can go on cruises carefree. I wouldn't be able to do that, personally.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think too many people become complacent on vacation. You should ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings and know where to go in an emergency, where the exits are, etc. I do this on every plane I am on, every hotel I stay at, and every cruise I go on. It's my responsibility, ultimately, to keep myself safe and know what to do and where to go in an emergency.

I never felt unsafe on our Disney cruise, but I agree, even though it is a vacation, I still need to use common sense and be safe.

It is little things, like knowing where two exits are, knowing where my lifeboat station is, being aware of my surroundings, etc.

My DD was a litle panicked about the idea that (if you have time) you're supposed to dress in warm clothing before heading to the muster station in a real emergency ... took her a while to understand that being in a lifeboat would be a cold, scary experience.

But, 99.9% of the time, nothing happens, but we still have to be prepared. And I do agree that all cruise lines will take preparations just a bit more seriously, at least for a while.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I am not really afraid to go on a cruise again but I will definately listen more carefully at the muster drill and check the life vests. I am happy to hear that on the DCL that there are extra vests at the lifeboats.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I said this months ago, but in my mind it's a mistake on the part of the cruise lines to do away with the requirement for passengers to wear their life preservers (PFDs) to the muster drill. It's vitally important that everyone know where to find them, verify that the right quantity and sizes are available, how to put them on, how to adjust the straps, and the features of the PFD - - water-activated strobe light, whistle, etc. Yes, it's more comfortable NOT wearing it, especially in the summer, but I still think it's a big mistake doing away with that step in the muster.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I said this months ago, but in my mind it's a mistake on the part of the cruise lines to do away with the requirement for passengers to wear their life preservers (PFDs) to the muster drill.
    I see your point with this, Ed. The first time I cruised which was a number of years ago, we not only had to show up at our life boat station but we had to have our life vest(s) with us. This, however, made it necessary to return to your cabin before reporting to your life boat station - and, at that time, we had a cabin about as low as you could get in the cruise ship (under water actually). In a real emergency, it might not be prudent to return to your cabin to get your vest. They could, however, demonstrate how to put on the life vest and go over the features - much as flight attendants do each time you fly. You don't actually put the vests on there but the demonstration is helpful. It would also be helpful if they informed cruisers where the additional life vests are stored so that folks knew where to access them if they could not return to their cabins for the vests located there.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I do know that in a few of the newer ships, there aren't even life vests IN the rooms anymore. They are ALL out on deck, near the lifeboats. This is being done on the newer "mega" ships from Royal Caribbean, at least. It makes sense, IMO.

In addition, even if there are vests in the room, on most modern cruise ships, there are ALSO enough life vests on deck for everyone onboard. In short, there will never be a shortage of life vests. I think it's an unwise decision to try to return to a cabin in an emergency for the sole purpose of getting your life vest.

I understand what you're saying Ed, but honestly, a life vest is not rocket science. You put it over your head, and tighten the straps, however you need to. In a true emergency, I would tie the darn thing together with a shoelace if I had to. It's kind of how on airplanes, they show you how to fasten the seatbelt. I mean, come on.

I think it makes more sense for people to know where the lifeboats are, and how to get to them (what deck number, etc.). As seen in this case, though, most of the time, it becomes "every man for himself". I doubt most of the evacuated passengers of the Costa ship actually left onboard the "right" lifeboat.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Many on the Costa ship were on different life boats because half of the lifeboats could not be used once the ship tilted so much.

I am with ED and believe the vests should be worn.

Just a question if kids are in the clubs where are they taken in an emergency? A general muster station or do they find their parents?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question if kids are in the clubs where are they taken in an emergency? A general muster station or do they find their parents?
    That is an excellent question. I had not thought of that before. You can be sure I will ask the next time I'm on a cruise!
    Jane Agnes Banks
    I was aka Agnes in VMK

"Course heading, Captain?"
    "Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning."
    --Chekov and Kirk
    The Undiscovered Country

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janebanks View Post
    That is an excellent question. I had not thought of that before. You can be sure I will ask the next time I'm on a cruise!
    As far as I know, the kid's club staff has control of your kids the entire time they are at the club. In the event of an emergency, they have a designated place they take the kids. I believe that information is given to you when you register your kids for the first time. Since they have a very strict procedure for picking up kids, in an emergency, I don't think they'd just hand over the kids without following the proper protocols. You are essentially putting your kids in their care, emergency or not. They have accountability for them 100%.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I understand what you're saying Ed, but honestly, a life vest is not rocket science. You put it over your head, and tighten the straps, however you need to.
    Having taught safe boating for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that to some people it IS rocket science. A PFD improperly secured can help drown you rather than save your life.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Having taught safe boating for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that to some people it IS rocket science. A PFD improperly secured can help drown you rather than save your life.
    Okay, you win. I often underestimate the stupidity of the general population.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Okay, you win. I often underestimate the stupidity of the general population.
    Bingo!
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Couple sayings ring true...

As soon as you build something foolproof, along comes a better fool...

And

You can't fix stupid...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Couple sayings ring true...

As soon as you build something foolproof, along comes a better fool...

And

You can't fix stupid...
    Thanks, that made my day LOL
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: