Quantcast upgrading or adding to an old pass??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default upgrading or adding to an old pass??

I am providing son's first day ticket, and he is buying the rest of his days to total a 6 day pass. I have an old ticket with one day left on it,and I was planning on using that for him.

It occured to me that either

- I will not be able to add to the remaining one day on the pass, and we would have to purchase a separate 5 day pass

or

- they will give me the value of the one day pass towards the six day pass, but it will be at the purchase price from when the pass was purchased, probably 15 years ago

Am I right on this?
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly certain that #2 is the correct answer. You won't be able to upgrade the old ticket. I'm not sure however how they calculate value of old tickets. Might be purchase price divided by number of days, it may be worse.

You probably need to ask your options, and decide on which is better, which may be to buy a 5 day ticket and just use the other last day. If its a child's ticket, I think it will need to be upgraded to an adult ticket (this is free provided it has been used). Upgrading an unused child ticket to an adult ticket costs the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tix

I think.....if some of the days were used you will not be able to add any days to it, but you will simply be able to use it to enter a park for one day. I would call and double check on that though - esp if it was purchased before they had the non-expiring option -maybe the rules are different for those. If that was the case I would just reserve that 1 day ticket for a later date if you think you may need a one day ticket at some point b/c if by using it you are only saving the difference between a 5 and 6 day ticket - you will only save him a few bucks
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriSan View Post
    I am providing son's first day ticket, and he is buying the rest of his days to total a 6 day pass. I have an old ticket with one day left on it,and I was planning on using that for him.

It occured to me that either

- I will not be able to add to the remaining one day on the pass, and we would have to purchase a separate 5 day pass

or

- they will give me the value of the one day pass towards the six day pass, but it will be at the purchase price from when the pass was purchased, probably 15 years ago

Am I right on this?
    You cannot upgrade, add-to or trade in the old ticket.
    Only a "new" ticket from a past trip (one that has never been used)
    can be upgraded or traded-in.

Your partially-used ticket can only be used for the remaining admission asset.
    (Going into a park for one day... it may be a "park hopper," too, don't know.)

Regardless, I would not use the old ticket at all for this trip, but simply buy a new ticket with all the assets needed for this trip, saving the old ticket for a time when it will suffice for that trip's needs (as in a one-day trip) or when you only need to purchase one (or two) additional days.

If you use your old ticket as part of THIS trip, it's worth will be whittled down to just $8.00.
    (Yes, eight dollars.)

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I love every word of MickeysBestPal's answer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We just had a somewhat similar situation this past October.

On our last trip, I had an Annual Pass (to qualify for the Passholder Rate), while my wife and DD8 were using their 10-day hopper. On about the fourth day, my daughter had somehow demagnetized her ticket. It was still valid, but we couldn't use it at FastPass booths. We had to get a "Special Pass" to use for FastPasses. After one day of that, I went to guest services to have it replaced. While I was there, I asked if I could upgrade their 10-day tickets to Annual Passes.

"Sure. As long as you do it before the last day."

The entire amount paid for the hoppers was applied to the APs and I merely paid the difference. Now, next year's (excuse me, this year's) trip has its tickets already paid for.

I hope that helps!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that normally tickets expire 14 days after first use. If they have expired, they cannot be used for an upgrade.

Tickets can be used for adding on or upgrading as follows:

1) non-expiring tickets AND have unused days remaining,

2) regular passes, with unused days remaining AND BEFORE they have expired.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Just remember that normally tickets expire 14 days after first use. If they have expired, they cannot be used for an upgrade.

Tickets can be used for adding on or upgrading as follows:

1) non-expiring tickets AND have unused days remaining,

2) regular passes, with unused days remaining AND BEFORE they have expired.
    Sorry, but your #1 is incorrect.
    It does not matter if a ticket is non-expiring or not, if it has ever been used at all, and the date it was used is over 14 days in the past, that ticket cannot be upgraded, modified, or traded-in.

Your #2 is not fully correct either.
    A ticket that has been fully "used up" CAN still be upgraded
    (for the full current gate price of a new ticket with the same assets that your original ticket had)
    -AS LONG AS that ticket has the guest's name printed on it by Disney (as in a KTTW resort key-card with attached ticket.)
    -AND, it is still within the 14 days following the original ticket's first use.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Thanks for the correction.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Your #2 is not fully correct either.
    A ticket that has been fully "used up" CAN still be upgraded
    (for the full current gate price of a new ticket with the same assets that your original ticket had)
    -AS LONG AS that ticket has the guest's name printed on it by Disney (as in a KTTW resort key-card with attached ticket.)
    -AND, it is still within the 14 days following the original ticket's first use.
    Oooh, sorry, that's not fully correct either. I hate to do this, because I've loved reading your responses, but you got a little detail wrong here.

Effective August 3, 2011, a totally used up ticket CAN'T be added to or upgraded, even if it's within the 14-day window.

To be clear ...
    Let's say I first used my ticket 8 days ago. Today I have 1 day left on my ticket. I use the ticket to enter Animal Kingdom (or any park). I leave Animal Kingdom, but then later that same evening I decide I still want a couple park days. As long as it's the same day in which my ticket got totally used up, I can still add to that ticket (by taking it to a ticket window at a park or at Downtown Disney or the TTC ... you know, the usual places). But if I did nothing, if I went to bed without adding to that ticket, and then wake up the next morning and decide to add a day or two, I can't do it; that ticket is dead. Yes, dead. Even though it's within the 14-day window of the ticket's first use, that ticket is worthless for ANY purpose other than a souvenir.

Like I said, this is new just since August 3, 2011. There wasn't a lot of fanfare about it, but it's true nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Oooh, sorry, that's not fully correct either. I hate to do this, because I've loved reading your responses, but you got a little detail wrong here.

Effective August 3, 2011, a totally used up ticket CAN'T be added to or upgraded, even if it's within the 14-day window.

Sorry you had to type out that elaborate post,
    but you don't have the latest information from Disney ticketing.

An exception has been added.

Like I said,
    if your name is printed on the ticket by DIsney (KTTW card,)
    you CAN upgrade a "fully used up" ticket...
    if still within the 14 day window.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if the pass was issued before AK opened (1998), the ticket would only be good for MK, DHS, & EPCOT, providing it had the no-experation option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNDisney Dad View Post
    I think if the pass was issued before AK opened (1998), the ticket would only be good for MK, DHS, & EPCOT, providing it had the no-experation option.
    Sorry, but that's not the case, anymore.

The restriction on use at "a park that was not yet open when a ticket was first issued" no longer applies.

If a older WDW ticket still has any valid "day(s)" left on it, it can be used for admission to any of the four theme parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks. Good to know in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Sorry you had to type out that elaborate post,
    but you don't have the latest information from Disney ticketing.

An exception has been added.

Like I said,
    if your name is printed on the ticket by DIsney (KTTW card,)
    you CAN upgrade a "fully used up" ticket...
    if still within the 14 day window.
    Good to know! Thanks for the info!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: