Quantcast Re-Imagined Test Track To Open Fall 2012

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re-Imagined Test Track To Open Fall 2012

Disney and General Motors Renew Alliance, Continue the Drive to Create Magic for Guests at a Re-Imagined Test Track Experience Presented by Chevrolet

Two of the world’s most recognized brands extend an alliance that will create a new experience for millions of Guests at Epcot.

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    January 6, 2012

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Disney and General Motors have renewed their long-term business relationship with a new multi-year corporate alliance.

As part of the new alliance, GM will be actively involved with Walt Disney Imagineering in the development of a re-imagined, design-centric Test Track experience. The refurbished Test Track will be presented by one of GM’s most famous brands, Chevrolet. As Chevrolet marks its 100th anniversary, the new alliance agreement enables General Motors to tell its story in new and exciting ways to millions of Guests from around the world and continue as the official vehicle sponsor of Walt Disney World Resort.

“We are excited to renew our long-term alliance with General Motors,” said George Aguel, Senior Vice President, Corporate Alliances for the Walt Disney Company. “This unique agreement extends collaboration between two of the most recognized brands in the world, a relationship that spans over 30 years. The re-imagined Test Track Presented by Chevrolet will continue our shared goal of providing unique and innovative experiences that engage Disney guests in exciting and interactive ways.” ”

“As a global brand, Chevrolet is looking forward to welcoming Guests from around the world to the re-imagined Test Track,” said Joel Ewanick, Global Chief Marketing Officer for General Motors. “The best of Disney and the best of Chevrolet will come together to bring Guests an immersive experience in the design process of the vehicles they see on the road today and will see in the future.”

Plans call for closing the current GM Test Track in April 2012, with an anticipated opening of Test Track Presented by Chevrolet scheduled for fall 2012.

As part of the re-imagining, the Future World attraction will feature a sleek new “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot” immersing Guests in the fascinating world of automotive design. Amid upbeat music, engaging media, dramatic lighting and a collection of Chevrolet concept cars and model vehicles, guests themselves will become automotive designers – and peer into the future of personal transportation in the process.

At interactive design and styling workstations, Guests will be able to create their own custom concept vehicles. The adventure will then shift into high gear as Guests buckle into their 6-person “SimCar” ride vehicle and put their design through its paces on the exhilarating hills, switchbacks and straight-aways of the Test Track circuit.

Their performance testing complete, Guests will move into a post-show area filled with special effects and be scored on how well their custom concept vehicle did. And of course, Guests will be able see the very latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new state-of-the-art showroom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Imagined Test Track Will Put Guests in the Designer’s Seat This Fall at Epcot

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager
    The Official Disney Parks Blog

January 6th, 2012

Beginning this fall, Epcot guests will be able to enjoy a re-imagined version of the popular Future World attraction, Test Track presented by Chevrolet.

This new version of the attraction will transform the current testing workshop into the sleek “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot,” where guests can become immersed in the fun – and fast – world of automotive design. Here, guests will become automotive designers and create their own custom vehicles. Next, they’ll buckle into a six-person SimCar ride vehicle and test out their design on the challenging track of the Test Track course.

Afterward, guests can take a fascinating look into the future of transportation by viewing a collection of the latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new showroom.

This fun new experience is the result of a renewed, multi-year business relationship between Disney and General Motors, companies that have worked together for more than 30 years.

Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

The rumours/reported information for the project and past discussion can be found in:

Test Track Refurb 2012

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's up and running again in time for ICOT15!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I hope it's up and running again in time for ICOT15!
    From what I understand, the ride should be open sometime in September -- easily in time for the INTERCOT event.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the Chevy Volt just undergo a massive recall? As I understand, the "new" Test Track cars are supposed to look like the Volt (the front end, at least).

Nice timing...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Do they know when test track will be going down for this?
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is the new name a bit wordy?

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, is this simulator thing an addition to the main ride such as a post-show thing? If so that sounds a pretty cool thing to add.

Presumably it isn't a direct replacement of the real thing with a simulator.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    Do they know when test track will be going down for this?
    Official dates have not been publicly announced yet; however, Attraction Cast have reported that the closure dates are tentatively April 15 - September 21, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy
    Just to clarify, is this simulator thing an addition to the main ride such as a post-show thing?
    "SimCar" is just a new name for the existing ride vehicle. Besides some cosmetic changes, the ride vehicles will reportedly be unaffected.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who thinks April to Fall is a pretty short time span for major changes?

Anyway, here's hoping that it doesn't turn out like Spaceship Earth with a lot of black curtains.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks April to Fall is a pretty short time span for major changes?

Anyway, here's hoping that it doesn't turn out like Spaceship Earth with a lot of black curtains.
    No, you're definitely not the only one. I see a lot of black curtains in our future.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No, you're definitely not the only one. I see a lot of black curtains in our future.
    My guess is not only black curtains, but projector screens as well.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    My guess is not only black curtains, but projector screens as well.
    And little keypads with poorly designed buttons that will look shabby after six months of hard use.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Considering they can't keep it from breaking down for more than an hour at a time, I think the only change were likely to see is possibly some new audio and cardboard cutouts along the track.

It took three years to get it to the point we have now, there no way they can muster a real rehab in that short of a time span.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it, but then, I'm not a fan of the attraction as it stands now....
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I am making the assumption that the "major" changes will be more to the story of the attraction than the ride's physical aspects.

The story will be focused on Guests "designing" their own car and then taking it for testing on the test course rather than just touring the test facility and becoming testing volunteers.

It sounds as if the queue will be considerably different and the shell of the ride vehicles will change, but the ride scenes themselves will probably be unaltered.

The queue is almost an empty set with several exhibits in it now, those can probably be cleared out and new "design-based"exhibits installed and tested with-in several months.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Booooo!

This ride already is very popular - one of those get there early and get a Fastpass rides.

And even with a Fastpass there's a too long process of gather in front of the doors to wait to enter the room to watch the video - then the video, then finally the last queue before you get to do what makes TrestTrack great - ride.

Now it looks like they're going to close the attraction for 6 months over the whole summer to change everything except the ride itself.

This entire refurb sounds like it is 100%about amping up the GM advertisement aspect and calling that some sort of "guest experience enhancement".

Sponsored by GM. Thank you GM. We love you GM. Now can we please just ride?

Post Thanks / Like

The post show and the queue are getting the major changes... 6 months will not get us any major show scene changes... although, I don't expect them to remain completely the same either... Just not expecting anything major...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

My DS is going to be VERY disappointed in June!! I'm thinking we may even skip Epcot this year! Why do this during the busy summer season?? I can't imagine how bad the lines are going to be for Soarin' this summer!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: