Quantcast I still say Merry Christmas - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    As a Jewish person who is married to someone who is not, I am in no way offended by Happy Holidays. Why should it offend when it is inclusive of all observed holidays, where Merry Christmas specifically excludes?

Don't get me wrong, when Christmas is near, I say Merry Christmas, but I just don't understand the uproar over people saying Happy Holidays.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza and Happy Holidays to any others that may be left out of those three.
    Very well said! I'm mystified as well. I've never seen "Happy Holidays" as anything more or less than a friendly, well meant phrase during a time of year when a lot of people are celebrating different things.

I have never expected anyone to look at me and try to guess what I might or might not celebrate this time of year and try to tailor their greetings to that guess. I enjoy exchanging any friendly greeting this time of year. How about, "Have a Magical Holiday"?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a grown woman with a lisp ... the only one that bugs me is "Season's Greetings". Makes me sound like a toothless 5 year old.

We live in a very multicultural community, where my children get to celebrate several different holidays at this time of year ... Diwali, Kwanza, Bodhi, Hanukka and Christmas ... and they have learned the appropriate greetings for each. Happy Holidays is a great catch all where I live!! Heck, up here in Canada, we even get to celebrate Boxing Day (the day after Christmas)!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the phrase Happy Holidays. I think it's appropriate, given our multi-cultural diversity nowadays.

I have a problem when a Christmas Tree skirt, or a stocking, or a piece of decorative whatever which CONTAINS a Christmas tree, or Santa, says "Happy Holidays" on it, rather than Merry Christmas.

Things associated with Christmas, and that are USED for Christmas decorating, specifically, should not say "Happy Holidays". Drives me nuts!

But, Happy Holidays to all! I think the only time I get upset is when someone says "Happy Holidays" ON Christmas day. That's weird.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I usually wish you Merry Christmas, but sometimes it will be Mele Kalikimaka after living in Hawaii for 13 years.
    As for others, wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Hoildays if it comes from the heart is what matters.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Agree 100% !!! I wish more people would focus on learning to all coexist instead of division.

Nothing wrong with sounding like John Lennon either, especially on the 31st anniversary of his passing.
    ^This

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    My point is that what I believe is not dependent on seasonal greetings or displays but what is in my heart. I would much rather focus on coming together with other faiths in peace and love than in dissention. (I know that sounds very John Lennon-ish, but that's how I feel.)
    Oh I totally agree with you in the sense that I don't care what kind of holiday greeting people give me, as long as we embrace the "Spirit of the season" and all recognize that everyone has the right to celebrate their holiday in the way they choose. But to many people, labels do matter, because it takes away from the religious nature of things. I also respect John Lennon, but "Imagine no religion" is not realistic. Many people hold their religious traditions dear, and when people try to take away from that, they get upset. I don't see what's wrong with keeping the "Christmas" name on "Christmas" traditions. Chanukah is not " The Winter Festival." A menorah or a Kwanzaa Kinara is not a "Winter Candle Holder." We can all come together, while respecting each other's beliefs and special celebrations.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I typically say Merry Christmas to people I know celebrate Christmas, but stick to the more general "Happy Holidays" for people I don't know (like store clerks, etc.).

I figure this time of the year is for making friends, being extra kind to your fellow man, and doing good for those not as fortunate. No sense accidentally offending someone!

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Chanukah is not " The Winter Festival." A menorah or a Kwanzaa Kinara is not a "Winter Candle Holder." We can all come together, while respecting each other's beliefs and special celebrations.
    Excellent and very thought provoking comment.
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

I actually go out of my way to say "Merry Christmas", especially to those that I know it will tick off
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Just to play devil's advocate...

The "holidays" is actually a conjuction of the term "holy days". In essence when wishing others "happy holidays" you are not only wishing them merry christmas, but all other winter religious celebrations as well.

The christmas tree is in fact a christian co-opted pagan symbol (as are many other symbols for christmas and easter for that matter) and as such I've always found it amusing that there are those that are so adamant about it being a "christian" thing.

I myself say merry christmas as a general rule, however at the same time really have to wonder about those who put so much thought and concern over a phrase. It's just words...it's what's in your heart that matters most.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
    The christmas tree is in fact a christian co-opted pagan symbol (as are many other symbols for christmas and easter for that matter) and as such I've always found it amusing that there are those that are so adamant about it being a "christian" thing.
    Although The church did indeed "co-opt" rituals as well as days of celebration from the pagans, there is not cut and dry evidence so far as I know that connects the decorating of an evergreen tree to paganism. The pagans worshiped nature, so it doesn't seem likely that they would celebrate a tradition of cutting down a tree to bring into their house. Other traditions such as the decoration of the house with branches and clippings of greens, the yule log, etc. are clearly pagan. Either way, the connection to Christmas has been around since the 16th century or so. It is interesting to note that puritans banned christmas trees as well as many other festive celebrations, declaring them pagan in origin and taking away from the holiness of the day.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Although The church did indeed "co-opt" rituals as well as days of celebration from the pagans, there is not cut and dry evidence so far as I know that connects the decorating of an evergreen tree to paganism. The pagans worshiped nature, so it doesn't seem likely that they would celebrate a tradition of cutting down a tree to bring into their house. Other traditions such as the decoration of the house with branches and clippings of greens, the yule log, etc. are clearly pagan. Either way, the connection to Christmas has been around since the 16th century or so. It is interesting to note that puritans banned christmas trees as well as many other festive celebrations, declaring them pagan in origin and taking away from the holiness of the day.

Just to clarify, the practice of bringing evergreens into the home to celebrate the winter solstice pre-date christianity by at least two centuries. It's never been attributed to any specfic pagan sect, however there is recorded use of the practice that far back.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

The Roman pagans originally brought evergreen bushes inside in order to celebrate Saturnalia. This was a celebration of the God Saturn. The Romans would bring the evergreen boughs inside in order to celebrate the coming of Spring. The reason that the Romans, and we ourselves, still bring trees inside is to serve as a reminder that although it is cold and grey outside now in a few months everything will be green and alive once again. The Catholic Church positioned Christmas at the same time of the year. The Christmas tree that we know today really began in Germany.

That being said, I don't understand the hub-bub about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays. This is supposed to be an inclusive time of the year. Many people are celebrating many holidays. Why leave entire groups of people out by wishing them Merry Christmas. I only send Happy Holiday cards because I am aware that not everyone celebrates the way that I do and I respect their beliefs and know that this time of year isn't all about Christmas.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: