Quantcast Saying Goodbye

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying Goodbye

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Saying Goodbye

Well, I just got some very sad news. My cat who is 15, and I have had since he was a small kitten, just came back from the vet and has been diagnosed with severe kidney failure. He lost a lot of weight and became dehydrated. The vet basically told us she could do a treatment that may give him a few months, but she feels that would not be best for him. She gave him some fluids and we'll have him a few more days to say goodbye. I knew this day was coming but I didn't expect it still. Going to be very hard...I have had him longer than I have had children. I don't think I will ever get over this.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very sad. One of my very favorite cats, Tilly, finally quit at age 18. She was not looking so good then either. She'd had a very good life, and even had been a foster mother to another cat's litter, born a few weeks after hers. She was a heckuva cat. She just appeared in our yard one night, when she was still small enough to fit in my hand (and I have a small hand).

But, looking back, tho I still think of Tilly a lot, I can not for the life of me remember how long we've been without her. It's been probably 12 or 15 years. We've had some great cats since then, but none as long lived as Tilly. She was special.

It's sad. It'll get better. And you'll still have the memories.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. We had a 20-year-old that suffered from kidney failure at the end. I gave him subcutaneous fluids at home for 3 months to give him a better quality of life but we were just buying time. I know it's been said a thousand times before, but letting them go when they are no longer enjoying life is the hardest and most loving thing we do as pet owners. My heart hurts for you.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

It's a difficult thing. A few years ago we lost both of our cats within 6 weeks of each other. It was a terrible time and we thought we'd never get over it. Time has diminished our pain but not the memories.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have 3 healthy cats. Previously my husband and I had 4 cats. One of them succumbed to kidney failure. My heart goes out to you. They are to us "little people with paws!"
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. My Gizmo is 11, and I've had him since he was 3 weeks. He is one of my babies.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

In September we lost the amazing canine who graciously allowed us into his life for 13 years.

We've been through that agony before, but this one hit us particularly hard. His health had been deteriorating over the last year, with heart and liver disease, and we could no longer justify prolonging his pain. Our wonderful vet concurred, and painlessly and respectfully helped Lucky make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

It was decidedly the hardest decision we've made in years, but in our hearts we know we did the right thing for our pal.

I know exactly how you're feeling right now; despite it all, you will get over it with the help of all the good memories of your long time with your cat.

to you and your family.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. We lost our cat of 17 years about a year ago. I was so thankful that the vet allowed us to take her home to say goodbye before we brought her back. It made it a little easier but it still hurt.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. We lost our 16 year old dog last month. She was our first baby and my husband and I had her for 10 years before we had children, so I understand where you are.

She had been steadily getting worse over the last 3 months but it was still one of the hardest decisions I had even had to make and even though I knew it was the right one, I still doubted myself for many days after.

So thought I know it doesn't help now, it will get better.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. I lost a very special cat to the same thing so I know what you are going through

Post Thanks / Like

As much as we love and care for our pets, letting them go is one of the hardest things to do. We lost our dog of 12 years last May, I can still hear him walking around the house. It brings a tear to my eye but more importantly a smile to my face.

You have had your cat for 13 wonderful years and I am sure have lots of memories. You will get over this but will never forget the wonderful times you had together.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Letting go of pets is one of the hardest things we have ever done, even when we knew it was best for them. I think it is hard because they don't understand what is happening to them.

I vowed I would never have another dog after we had to put down our beloved Cavalier Spaniel, Satchie. But, here I sit with two adorable Cavaliers sitting on my lap as I type this.

It is hard to get over, but once you do, I think it makes you a stronger person. Someone who has truly loved once can and usually will love again.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry... we have had to put two of our cats down, one at 13 (cancer) and one at 16 (diabetes). Both were SO hard, and I don't think we ever thought we would get over it. Both cats were pre-kids, and came to us as baby-babies.

But -- we now have been adopted by two more wonderful cat-children -- and we love them as fully as we loved our other two, and the best part is that we have the memories of the first two, as well, and the lessons learned with them to guide us.

These next few days will be so hard -- but you can and will get through it -- with tears, but also with the knowledge that you have given this little creature the best life possible, and now are giving the best end possible by not prolonging his suffering. I know how hard it will be -- but the memories and the knowledge that it is for the best will get you through.

Sending hugs your way...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your kind words and for keeping us in your thoughts. We lost him on Saturday. We did euthanize him because we didn't want him to continue to suffer. I didn't think I would go in but I did, and I was there with him until the end. My husband and I just held eachother and cried. We miss him so much. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life this far, but I know it was the right thing. We will never forget him.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and for keeping us in your thoughts. We lost him on Saturday. We did euthanize him because we didn't want him to continue to suffer. I didn't think I would go in but I did, and I was there with him until the end. My husband and I just held eachother and cried. We miss him so much. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life this far, but I know it was the right thing. We will never forget him.
    Reading this is reliving a year ago the day after thanksgiving when we had to put my grandpa's 17 year old cat to sleep. My grandpa passed him over to me in 2007 when he could no longer take car of him at 99 years old... When i first got Corky i was going through a divorce so he was my companion lol... I grew to love him and everything was fine up until we came back from our Engagement trip last year... he started to lose weight at astronomical amounts and stopped eating/drinking and bladder control was lost. took him to the vet and then kept trying to have me force these pills and syringes and other things down his throat... it was tramatic not only for him, but for myself as well. Finally after a really long talk with my fiance we felt it was in the best interest of everyone to have him put to sleep the day after thanksgiving... the hardest decision I have had to make to date

Now in 2008 i did get a kitten which seemed to perk corky up in his old age. Our cat, Octavius 'GusGus", is helping cope with the loss...it would have been a lot worse if he wasn't here... i guess what I am saying is, as hard it is to let go, maybe a new kitten is in your future
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    Now in 2008 i did get a kitten which seemed to perk corky up in his old age. Our cat, Octavius 'GusGus", is helping cope with the loss...it would have been a lot worse if he wasn't here... i guess what I am saying is, as hard it is to let go, maybe a new kitten is in your future
    Thank you for sharing your story. I would love another kitten... My husband and I are at odds on this a little. He thinks it's too soon. We do have another cat, and she is a sweetie but usually only hangs out with our youngest son. She almost never had anything to do with the rest of us. But she came downstairs the morning after our Sam left us, and she was looking all over for him. It was so sad! But since, then she is warmer to all of us and coming to sit in our laps which she never did before. I know she knows that he is gone, and I think she can sense our sadness. We're all sad I guess!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: