Quantcast Southwest help?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Southwest help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest help?

Going to Disney via Southwest airlines. 2adults/2kids. Do I need to do early bird or do you usually get to sit with your kids? I'm more concerned flying back from MCO ? Need help pls... Thx
    Bibidi bopbidi boo...The place where Dreams come true......

POFQ-Sept '17
    POP-Nov '16
    Marriott Grande Lakes Resort -Jun '15
    POR- Feb '13
    Poly-Nov-Dec '11
    Pop-Nov '11
    CSR-Sep '10
    POR-Apr '02/SEP '03/Oct '04/SEP '06/Sep '07/Sep '08
    ASM-'96
    Peabody- Apr'89
    Inn @ Disney World (SOG now)1984

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we flew I got early bird but if I remember right if you have children you board first as with wheelchairs. Call southwest and ask them but I think she told me that. I think I asked for my daughter and her son and husband. I think you should have no problem but call them directly. They are so helpful there.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Families with kids 3 and under board as a courtesy after the "A" group. The "A" group is made up of their version of first class and the people who have paid for the early bird priviledge--up to 60 people, I believe. It can also include some that check in at the 24 hr mark. Remember the plane configuration is 3 seats on each side. We have found it easiest to do two rows, as opposed to sitting across the isle from each other--that way I can put the 3 yr old in the center seat between myself and my secret weapon, the 11 yr old, leaving the seat between my husband and son in front of us, open. If it's a full flight, someone will end up sitting there, but not usually if they see a 3 yr old behind it--she hasn't kicked the seat yet!
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We do early bird, I think it's worth it. Remember though, the order that you purchase EB is related to the order your seats are assigned, so buying EB a few day before your flight is mostly worthless. It also seems that what you pay for the flight is part of the equation as well.

Families now board between A and B and that courtesy is only for those with children under age 5 (four and under).

Saving seats is not allowed on Southwest, so everyone with a ticket should get EB. Given the choise, I would 100% get EB for the return flight. Saves me having to check-in 24 hours prior when I'm usually busy doing something else. I do it for both legs though, that way I know I did what I could to get seated first.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter flys SW to Disney...you can go to guest services at a park and they will sign you in at the 24 hr...we did that before the era of I-pads and smart phones.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnek View Post
    The "A" group is made up of their version of first class and the people who have paid for the early bird priviledge--up to 60 people, I believe. It can also include some that check in at the 24 hr mark.
    Boarding order is determined by when you check-in. A1-A15 is assigned to business class. You can pay extra for early bird (automatic check-in) but it doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll be in the A group. Checking in at the 24 hour mark has always put me in the A group (so far.)

Since this isn't related to Accommodations, I'm going to move this thread to Vacation Planning.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading a lot about this lately because we are flying southwest in January. with the induction of the early bird feature many many people are making use of it which makes it harder for those people that don't buy it to get and A seating. Lately it seems that many people even with the early bird are getting b seatings! I do believe that SW will do their best to get your family seats together but it is getting harder to do. Your flight times/day and time of year will also make a difference. We are also a fam of 4 DH, myself and 2 kids that are over age 3. We decided to do the early bird just to be on the safe side.

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I checked in exactly 24 hours before hand and my entire family of 3 was in the B group for the trip there and home. My DW and DD sat seperatly from me both times. I think its crazy they don't have assigned seats and I will never fly Southwest again. Even with Earlybird check in it doesn't promise you anything.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is for small children say 4 or under. Not families but have to have small kids and unles you want to pay 3-400 a seat you will never get A seating.
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I always purchase the early bird option, especially when I travel with the kids and husband stays home. I've never gotten anything but the A group with an early bird purchase, but I suppose it could happen. This last trip we took, I didn't purchase the early bird until the week before we went and we were still in the A group.

I would do it!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said call SW they will tell you to save your money or not. If you have small children under a certain age you go with group A or before they are even sat down. There is no reason to speculate and stress they will give you the correct answer to all of this.By the way SW is great.. Makes no sense to me to pay for some other flight 3 times what SW charges. It tells you who is scalping and its not SW usually.
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! I did the EB just to be safe!
    Bibidi bopbidi boo...The place where Dreams come true......

POFQ-Sept '17
    POP-Nov '16
    Marriott Grande Lakes Resort -Jun '15
    POR- Feb '13
    Poly-Nov-Dec '11
    Pop-Nov '11
    CSR-Sep '10
    POR-Apr '02/SEP '03/Oct '04/SEP '06/Sep '07/Sep '08
    ASM-'96
    Peabody- Apr'89
    Inn @ Disney World (SOG now)1984

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    Like I said call SW they will tell you to save your money or not. If you have small children under a certain age you go with group A or before they are even sat down.
    No, if you are traveling with a child 4 and under, you are able to board after the A group but before the B group. I pay for EB and have always gotten an A boarding pass so far and I have always been called to board before families traveling with children 4 and under.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southwest help?

I haven't done the EB and also have not gotten onto the A section since the implementation of the EB system even with calling exactly at the 24 hr mark. We have always been able to sit together so far.

Post Thanks / Like

While the EB will certainly make a difference, it isn't always necessary in order to get an "A" boarding pass. My DS & his girlfriend just flew to MCO earlier this week. They checked in within 10 minutes of the 24 hour mark and they both had "A" boarding passes.

On the other hand, even with the EB, you aren't assured of an "A" boarding pass (although the odds are heavily in your favor). The A-List members of SWA's frequent flyer program are checked in and assigned their boarding passes before those customers purchasing the EB option. Depending on the airport, destination and time of the flight, there could be zero A-List members. Or there could be literally half a plane full if you're at one of SWA's major hub airports (DAL, MDW, LAS, DEN, BWI) for an early morning flight.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: