Quantcast Nervous Dad's first trip report Day 3 Discovery Cove & DTD

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nervous Dad's first trip report Day 3 Discovery Cove & DTD

Let me start off by apologizing for taking longer to get this out than originally planned. I had a trip report put together, but it was short and so many details were left out. Instead I am opting to post my detailed journal and hope you will excuse my weak writing style and the fact that some of the details contained within are very pedestrian to most of the readers on INTERCOT. Anyway, thanks for reading….here we go.
    Cast
    Me – the nervous Dad and narrator
    Kelly – the Mother of my beautiful children
    Matthew – age 11
    Mara –age 7

Pretrip report link
    http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=184956

9/23/11
    Today is the day we visit Discovery Cove. We are all excited, but the kids are very anxious. They keep asking questions – “How long is the dolphin swim?” – “What do we do after the dolphin swim?” – “What else can we do at Discovery Cove?” I keep informing them that I have not been to Discovery Cove before and I don’t know the answers to their questions, but there anxiety is unquenchable. We are up, said good bye to Joe and out the door by 7:30 and arrive at the park just after 8AM. Discovery Cove is different from the other theme parks in the Orlando area in that a finite number of guests are admitted each day. I believe I overheard one of the trainers say that only 1200 people are admitted daily and today only about 900 are in the park (great for us!). Another nice thing about Discovery Cove is that once you have paid your admission, everything is included (parking, snacks, breakfast, lunch, drinks, snorkel, mask, and sunscreen).
    When we arrived and were checked in, a very broad overview of what to expect today and where to go next was completed. Breakfast was being served at the cantina and once we finished breakfast we walked across the beach to get a vest and change into our suits. Our swim with the dolphin was scheduled for 9:35 in the seahorse cabana. We didn’t quite understand that we had to be in the cabana and we meandered around the lagoon where the seahorse team would swim. Kel and I started getting nervous about the time (neither of us was wearing a watch, and we couldn’t find a clock when we needed it) and the meeting place (all the cast members seemed to disappear right then as well). Finally, a cast member walked past and got us all straightened out. The seahorse cabana was a neat little thatched roof meeting place with two large widescreen TVs. This is the place where you have to fill out the legal paperwork and watch a video about dolphin ecosystems and conservation. You are also given a speech about what you can and can’t wear into the lagoon (jewelry-bad, hair ties OK) and what you can and can’t bring with you on your dolphin swim (basically, cameras are a no no because the dolphins could swallow them is the reasoning given, but I think it is more to do with the large photo packages that are for sale upon completion of the dolphin swim) and lastly, how you should touch the dolphins (behind the blowhole and not near the face). After our lecture and movie, we were lead out to the lagoon in small groups and then divided again into smaller groups of 9. There was a last minute check for jewelry (and cameras) and then our group was lead into the lagoon.
    The lagoon water temperature is between 70 and 75 degrees and it certainly was not like swimming in the bath like water at AKL. It took us a few minutes to acclimate to the water temp and to get our group positioned. Once we were all settled, we were introduced to Capricorn. Capricorn is the dominant male at Discovery Cove (although he is not in charge since dolphins are Matriarchal) and weights almost 700 pounds. He is by far the biggest dolphin at Discovery Cove, but he was friendly and gentle. There were two trainers that helped to introduce us to Capricorn and they would help position him and get him ready for us to be near. Capricorn was positioned so that we could pet him and feel his skin. He then rolled on his back and the trainers showed us his belly button and discussed the different color pattern on his skin. She talked about his fins and how his tail and dorsal fin are just like human fingerprints (no two dolphins have the same pattern) and showed us where his ears were located. She also discussed how he cools himself down by moving warmer blood into the tip of his tail and his dorsal fin. Next we all got to line up and give him a kiss on the snout. Lastly, we swam out to about 9ft of water and Capricorn allowed us to hold onto him and he gave us a ride back in. This experience is something everyone should try once in their life. The beauty and grace of the dolphin cannot be matched and I don’t think you can understand that until you can interact with one up close. Capricorn was very intelligent and when I was up close, it almost seemed like he was studying me more than I was studying him. I am very glad that we were able to experience this time with Capricorn and I am even more grateful that I was able to share this experience with my family. The experience with Capricorn ended too quickly, but before my knees made it above water, we were being paraded to the photo hut to view our photo packages.
    The rest of Discovery Cove was really cool. We walked through the aviary and held out little cups of fruits and nuts. The birds landed on our hands and arms and ate from the cups. One of the birds pooped on Kelly’s arm and another dropped one in Mara’s hair. Let’s just say that we left the aviary pretty quickly after Mara got cleaned up.
    There is also a lazy river that winds around the park and goes through the aviary. We got in the river and floated around until we came to the start/finish again. The river was warm and is surrounded by tropical plants, flowers, trees and bamboo. The depth of the river also changes going from about a foot and a half to over eight feet. The only issue with the depth fluctuation is that you don’t really know when it’s happening so we all obtained skinned knees and stubbed toes. From the lazy river we went over to the salt water reef and snorkeled with rays, sharks and tropical reef fish. The rays were very large and gave Mara the creeps so Kelly and Mara went back over to the lazy river. Matthew and I stayed and checked out the reef for a little longer. I was snorkeling near a rock and watching fish underneath me when a large ray swooped a few inches in front of my mask. That is definitely an eye opening experience and pretty much ended my snorkeling in the reef. Matthew and I went and found Kelly and Mara and made our way to the cabana for lunch. After lunch we got in the lazy river and didn’t get out until we were ready to leave with the exception of ordering our pictures we wanted from our day. Our day at Discovery Cove was a fantastic experience and one I know I will remember for the rest of my life.
    The clouds and storms rolled in as we were getting dressed and continued through the evening. We were back to AKL and debated where to go for dinner. The concierge recommended Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. Rather than driving, we thought we would take the bus and see how that experience would go. The bus arrived about 15 minutes after we got to the stop and took about 20 minutes to get from AKL to Downtown. Upon arriving, we made our way to the Earl of Sandwich and the food was really good. After dinner we went to a giant toy store called “Once upon a Toy”. Matthew found Wheezy the Penguin from Toy Story and Matthew actually squealed when he saw him. Mara found a Lotso Bear (Lotso actually smells like strawberries as the movie details) and some other treasures as well. We meandered through a few more shops and then got on the bus back to AKL. Although the trip to Downtown wasn’t planned, it was a nice night and the rain held off but the lightning flashed in the background for the entire evening.
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for describing your day at Discovery Cove. What a great experience! The Downtown Disney night sounds like some low-key fun, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I always enjoy reading detailed descriptions of places I have not been to and things I have not since. Since I have never been to Discovery Cove, this report fell into that category! Thanks for sharing!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I always enjoy reading detailed descriptions of places I have not been to and things I have not since. Since I have never been to Discovery Cove, this report fell into that category! Thanks for sharing!
    You are absolutely welcome!

I'm reading back through a lot of my journal now and realize that I sure did a lot of complaining. I didn't realize I was such a glass half empty type of person...Anyway, I grumbled in this entry about the photo packages, but guess what....I bought the biggest one they offered. Once you experience a place like Discovery Cove, you want to remember the experience for the rest of your life.

New Year's resolution - get back to WDW and become an optimist!
    Michael

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Thank you for describing your day at Discovery Cove. What a great experience! The Downtown Disney night sounds like some low-key fun, too.
    DTD was unplanned and a lot of fun. The Earl of Sandwich Italian - WOW!
    Michael

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, nicely detailed descriptions of a place I've only heard about. Universal and Dolphin Cove should pay you!

Thanks for the trip report.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We really want to do Discovery Cove sometime...thanks for describing your day!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

Great reports. I'm really enjoying them. My wife and i went to Dsicovery Cove last year and it was an amazing experience. It's nice they include the food and beverages and all the gear, but I do think they should include a photo package as well. If I recall, you do get a complimentary photo from when you enter the park in the morning....which was nice.

I know they are making some changes/additions to DC and I can't wait to gett back to see them.

BTW...did you get to feed the stingrays? That was one of my hilights.
    "Behold, the Great Millenium Walk..." TTFN - Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report. DGF and I will be at Disney next month and are torn between Discovery Cove and Wild Africa Trek. Apples and Oranges but both very interesting to say the least.
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

I realize you posted this entry about 6 months ago, but wanted to tell you how much I appreciated reading your wonderful description of your day at Discovery Cove. It's something I had been thinking about doing with my family on our next trip, but wasn't exactly sure what to expect since no one I know has done it before. The price is pretty steep, but sounds like it's well worth it! Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience! It's definitely shifted my thought process on going and now I will definitely be giving it a try!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report. It sounds like a grand adventure. This kind of report helps us judge where to best spend the hard earned vacation time/money.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: