Quantcast Dining Plan Rant

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining Plan Rant

I just returned from a week in Disney and every vacation I am reminded of why I hate the dining plan. I personally have never used it, it's not a good deal for the way we eat. However, the reason I find it so irritating is because out of all the people that do use the dining plan the majority seem to not know how it works. I can't count the times I've been in line at a quick service restaurant behind someone holding up the line trying to figure out what counts as a snack or what they can add to make it count as a meal or what they should do if they've already used their quick service meal for the day. It about drives me nuts. I chose my food based on what I want to eat and it takes me no longer than the time to swipe a credit card to check out.

Often airports have family lines for security where people with kids can go to clog up the line (I'm there clogging with two toddlers and a stroller). Would it be useful to also have a special dining plan line at restaurants so the people who just want to pay and get on with it don't have to listem to the CM go over the dining plan options for the umteenth time?
    Last edited by Disney Doll; 10-19-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly feel your pain, but then I remind myself, for many people WDW might be a once or twice in a lifetime thing and they haven't had the good fortune of finding a site like Intercot to figure it all out. It baffles me sometimes when I see someone in the park needing a map to find their way around.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with you. This drives me crazy. Like, to the point where I feel like I just wanna scream. I have no patience. I actually give mad props to the CMs who remain calm and happy as they explain that stuff over and over and over and over again. I could never do it.

I hate the dining plan, and I'd be all for a separate "express" line for NON DDP users.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I wish that more places had the menus like Columbia Harbor House... which explain how the DDP works at their establishment.

I think my worst DDP experience during this past trip was with the people who were trying to use up their snack credits at CSR at 6:45 AM. The CM was wonderful, though.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

And this is why I do a cheat sheet for every park and then make sure it is packed in our backpack. We make up our mind BEFORE we get in line so we don't hold things up.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I certainly feel your pain, but then I remind myself, for many people WDW might be a once or twice in a lifetime thing and they haven't had the good fortune of finding a site like Intercot to figure it all out. It baffles me sometimes when I see someone in the park needing a map to find their way around.
    I remember my first time in 2005. I had the DDP. Pretty much new what to do with that. I did need maps to find my way around. I know Disneyland inside out, like the back of my hand, blindfolded... you get the picture. WDW was a different story. It was quite a difference coming from Disneyland. After a few days I didn't need the maps anymore.

I have had the DDP every visit and find it easy to figure out what is a meal vs. snack. I think it would be great to have a line for those paying OOP. I wouldn't be offended in the least.

I did do some internet reasearch prior to my first visit, so I was not totally blind. I think that is when I found Intercot, but just was a lurker.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney would be great if it weren't for all the people there getting in my way... (tongue in check)

Just one of the hazards of WDW. The same could be said of other Disney programs like fastpass.

We love DDP but agree it does not work for everyone.

I have been in line many times myself and wonder why the people in front of me did not decide on their food selections during there 15 min wait (instead of trying to decide when they reach the cashier). I don't blame Disney or the menu options offered when this occurs. I seriously doubt if a non DDP line would be any faster. What you would need is a separate line for clueless people (but they would likely not be able to find it and clog up the other lines anyway).

I see this as a people problem not a DDP issue.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with many of the posts. I do agree that a separate line for those not using the DDP would be great.
    On most places, everything is marked very clearly. The same people who have trouble using the DDP plan probably are the same people using coupons at the grocery store holding me up.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    And this is why I do a cheat sheet for every park and then make sure it is packed in our backpack. We make up our mind BEFORE we get in line so we don't hold things up.
    I do the same thing. I shrink it to a small font in Word and print it the size of a dollar bill. Print a few off and keep them in the wallet.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I understand completely. I know the first couple of times we used the DDP we were confused as to what came with the CS. Luckily our first CS meal was at the food court at our resort. Now we've got it figured out and we completely understand the confusion when you first use it. We've had CM's apologize to us for the wait while they explained it to the previous customer. We let them know we were those people once.

To be on the other side, I've been behind paying customers and they are busy rounding up the entire group trying to figure out what they all want once they are at the cashier.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it reminds me of the people in the drive-thru lane at McDonalds. Why in the world does it take you 10 minutes to decide what you want? It's McDonalds people! The menu is the same as the last time you went through!

If folks made decisions before they got in line, life would be so much easier.

Then again, we've done the Dining Plan since it's inception as the "Food 'n' Fun" plan ever so long ago, so we've got it down pat. Others may not be as savvy as us Intercotees!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

We never use the DP either, it seems like a waste for how we eat. I do remember often being behind people who were clueless about how to use their DP. A separate line would be great for them.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    I have been in line many times myself and wonder why the people in front of me did not decide on their food selections during there 15 min wait (instead of trying to decide when they reach the cashier). I don't blame Disney or the menu options offered when this occurs. I seriously doubt if a non DDP line would be any faster. What you would need is a separate line for clueless people (but they would likely not be able to find it and clog up the other lines anyway).

I see this as a people problem not a DDP issue.
    Totally agree with this. I'd bet if they did seperate lines the CMs would be constantly telling guests they are in the wrong line. Then you'd have to hear that over and over and over again. And of course you'd have the angry guests, who just waited in the wrong line, complain that they now have to go wait in another line. Before long the CMs would allow DDP guests to order from the "wrong" line just to keep the guest happy.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with you. I've had similar experiences.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's about being new to the parks or not sure where to find the info. Everywhere we went it seemed like Disney had the menu items pretty well marked. I have never used the dining plan and am not expert, but I can read and therefore could have answered most of the questions I heard people asking.

I think part of the confusion comes from Disney trying to be too accommodating. Since when is a bowl of chili or oatmeal a snack? At our resort it was and even though they were clearly marked it always caused confusion at the register. Ordering a la carte adds extra complication for dining plan users.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually when I'm in line for food, I'll try to help out other people in my own way. If someone is staring at a menu or even saying aloud what they want, I'll tell them what's good (from my experience). And if one person is asking another person, "I wonder if this is on the dining plan", I'll always chime in.

I feel it's my duty to be a resource to everyone who needs help at WDW.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: