Quantcast CM Questions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking CM Questions?

How do CM's get chosen or recruited to come to Orlando and work from countries around the world?

And CM's in general (regardless of country of origin)...how do they "decide" what their job will be at parks?

For example, I spoke to a college program CM from Howard University. Obviously, he was a VERY bright guy...and he was wrapping ornaments and working the register at Days of Christmas. Another example, we spoke to a greeter/turnstill attendent at MK. He was a lifetime attorney from the Northeast, now retired. How does he get assigned there?

The things that make you say, "Hmmm..."
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore, but when I was hired it was:

Recruiter: What do you want?

Me: What do you got?

and it went on like that until i finally said i'd work in food service.
    Cassie
    WDW Cast Member, Fame Tree BBQ, Jan '04- Sep '05

Post Thanks / Like

Well, how do you get to work in Guest Relations? Do you have to prove yourself, or something.

Historically, the Guest Services that work at the windows outside the turnstills aren't the nicest. We found that again so on this trip with trouble with tickets.

So, once you are assigned, how do you "move up?"
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Post Thanks / Like

Guest Relations is a hard spot to get, and you do have to be there for a specific amount of time. Promotions within your department are dependent upon your management team. A transfer within your department just has to be agreed on by your manager, and the manager where you want to go. To transfer to another department you have to go through HR and meet certain requirements. I have no idea if those have changed, I haven't been with the company since Sep of '05.
    Cassie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cassieblanca View Post
    I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore
    Really, when did it change?
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in '09 sometime. You have to apply online now. I miss their old hiring process.
    Cassie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cassieblanca View Post
    Back in '09 sometime. You have to apply online now. I miss their old hiring process.
    So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists? A friend of mine who works maintenance for the on-site hotels told me to go there to apply for a position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Simba View Post
    So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists?
    CM Academy, what is that?

Post Thanks / Like

I was originally hired through the College Program. When my last program ended, I applied for fulltime through casting. I was lucky in that the location I wanted had openings, so I got exactly what I wanted.

Back when I applied for FT, the application had spots for 2 roles, and up to 5 locations per role. After that, it was based on what had availability
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Back when I applied for FT, the application had spots for 2 roles, and up to 5 locations per role. After that, it was based on what had availability
    I see you're a CM at the Great Movie Ride. Do CMs working the attractions rotate positions or do you have a set job?
    Are you using it as a stepping stone?
    Is it mostly enjoyable?

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Im still really interested to know how in the world (haha, no pun intended) they get people from Morocco, Great Britian, China, Germany, and further, etc to come work in Orlando...
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRN View Post
    Im still really interested to know how in the world (haha, no pun intended) they get people from Morocco, Great Britian, China, Germany, and further, etc to come work in Orlando...
    The International CP's are recruited by, well, recruiters...that go through thousands and thousands of applications. ICP's at EPCOT's World Showcase countries, from what I understand, are there on a 6-month visa/rotation.

I don't know how things work now that you can't just walk in and apply anymore.

Recruiter: What do you want?

Me: What do you got?

and it went on like that until i finally said i'd work in food service.
    This is the way it was when I was hired as well. The interviewer asked me where I wanted to work, I asked if they had anything available in Tomorrowland attractions (at the time; this was back in 2000). They said nothing available there, but Main Street Operations (Parade Audience Control, Main Street Vehicles, Turnstiles, WDW Railroad) was available. I *really* wanted to work the Main Street Electrical Parade, which was running from the Millennium Celebration back then, but it ended that run *just* before I got hired in 2001. I started there, worked there for two years part-time, then requested to go full-time. At that time, there were no FT openings on Main Street, so I went to Frontierland Attractions. Worked Splash, TSI rafts, and CBJ for a year. After your initial 12 months full-time, then you can request to transfer to other areas if there's openings. I went back to Main Street, where I stayed for three years. Then I went to Tomorrowland for three more years before moving up here to Ohio.

Nice thing about working for the company: if you don't like one area, stick it out for six months, then request a transfer (as long as the guidelines are met ). Don't like Attractions? Go to Food/Beverage, Resorts, Water Parks, Merchandise. Don't like EPCOT? Transfer to Studios, AK, a resort. Don't like Cosmic Ray's, but wanna stay in the Magic Kingdom? Transfer to Pecos Bill's.

So I'm to understand that "Castmember Academy" no longer exists? A friend of mine who works maintenance for the on-site hotels told me to go there to apply for a position.
    Never heard of it. There's the Casting Center (hiring center - HR), across from Downtown Disney Marketplace. Once you're hired, you attend Traditions (if they still do it....they REALLY need to...), then an indoctrination to whatever area you're going to. As far as Maintenance goes, they have a different hiring process - that was what I first tried to get into.

Do CMs working the attractions rotate positions or do you have a set job?
    Yes, most attractions (or sets of attractions) have a rotation, so you're not stuck in one spot all day long. When I worked in Tomorrowland Attractions, Speedway was its own rotation, Space was its own, Buzz/CoP/Monsters is one rotation, and Stitch/TTA/Astro is one rotation. Just an example at Speedway, the rotation was:
    Greeter 1 - greet guests, straighten strollers
    Greeter 2 (busy season)
    Line 1 Track 4 - load/unload/assist guests
    Line 2 Track 4 - load/unload/assist guests with disabilities
    Turnstiles (busy season)
    Grouper Track 3/4 - direct guests to load area number
    Line 1 Track 3 - load/unload/assist guests
    Line 2 Track 3
    Grouper Track 1/2
    Line 1 Track 2
    Line 2 Track 2
    Line 1 Track 1
    Line 2 Track 1
    Bridge - keep an eye for broken-down race cars, assist guests if needed
    Bridge 2 (busy season)

For "stepping stones", the process is usually to work in an area for a while, then become a coordinator when openings are available. After being a coordinator for a while (I think a year), you can put your name in for leadership roles, and you go into a "pool" (of names). When those become available, you usually serve a "TA" - "temporary assignment" - as a GSM (guest service manager) to see if you "have what it takes".

I thought that that was the direction I wanted to go - until I learned that coordinators and managers close the park - sometimes at 5am, or even 7am (on Grad Nights!)...LOL...I said "No thanks"...
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

How is the pay at Disney? Do they pay pretty well once you are full time? Do different areas pay more than others?

Post Thanks / Like

I was there for nearly ten years. When I left in January, I was making...less than 10 bucks an hour.

You start at Florida state minimum wage.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Going2HeavenRU View Post
    How is the pay at Disney? Do they pay pretty well once you are full time? Do different areas pay more than others?
    As Jim said above you must work a long time just to reach a $10 per hour rate. New hires make just above minimum wage. Bus drivers make a bit more. "Face" characters (those not enclosed in a costume) make more because they are considered "performers".

As you walk through one of the parks take a look at the CM faces around you. They generally fall into two categories - young (college age) or old (senior retired folks). There aren't that many in between because it is difficult to raise children and meet the expenses of a family on Disney pay. That also explains the very high turnover rate for CM employment. People love to work there, but many simply can't afford it.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Definitely a labor of love only.

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting thread! Thanks for all of the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    As Jim said above you must work a long time just to reach a $10 per hour rate. New hires make just above minimum wage. Bus drivers make a bit more. "Face" characters (those not enclosed in a costume) make more because they are considered "performers".

As you walk through one of the parks take a look at the CM faces around you. They generally fall into two categories - young (college age) or old (senior retired folks). There aren't that many in between because it is difficult to raise children and meet the expenses of a family on Disney pay. That also explains the very high turnover rate for CM employment. People love to work there, but many simply can't afford it.
    So, if I were lucky enough to get a job at the First Aid Center as a nurse, I would get minimum wage? But, I have a Master's Degree!
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRN View Post
    So, if I were lucky enough to get a job at the First Aid Center as a nurse, I would get minimum wage? But, I have a Master's Degree!
    So do I, and I make $8 an hour operating rides at AK. But I love it!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I believe nurses would make more. Different roles pay different amounts. I know the starting pay for security over there is $9.75 an hour. Professional roles, like nurses, maintenance, etc., are filled through a different process, and do tend to pay more than entry level roles.
    Cassie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: