Quantcast Hitting the Beach (Club) - Dining Report/Signatures

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hitting the Beach (Club) - Dining Report/Signatures

Our diners:
    Sherri, Birthday Girl
    Sean, Accommodating Husband

Dates: October 4- October 9 2011

Signature Dining:

Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club:
    We had high hopes for the Yachtsman Steakhouse. We love the Signature restaurants and we've nearly tried them all (except Artist Point, next trip for sure). Staying at the Beach Club seemed a perfect time to try Yachtsman Steakhouse.

We're not strangers to fine dining or steakhouses. I dined at Shula's at the Dolphin last year, and gave it high marks for food, service, and atmosphere. But I knew that Yachtsman Steakhouse might be more along the lines of the other Signature dining experiences and not necessarily comparable to the deluxe steakhouse experience, so I kept an open mind.

For starters, the hostess was rude. Not an auspicious beginning, but we were in good humor and ready to wait a while if necessary. We showed up twenty minutes early and were told they were running well behind. We ended up watching people keep coming in and being seated almost immediately, while we continued to linger with our buzzer over drinks at the attached Crew's Club lounge. Not an unpleasant wait-- there was a place to sit, and people to watch. Still, I had to get up and ask about our table twice because it seemed we had been overlooked, and both inquiries drew a snippy response from the hostess. Finally, forty minutes later (seriously), we were seated.

Our server was friendly, if not overly informative. By the end of the meal, we knew what her drive to work was like, her cat's grooming habits, and her sons by name. TMI.

I started with Lobster Bisque, with Celery Mignonnette, Salt Cod Aïoli, and American Osetra Caviar. It was a tawny brown that tasted oddly more like butternut squash soup than lobster bisque, but tasty nonetheless. No sign of the caviar. Maybe it was blended in.

My husband started with the Charcuterie Board, advertised as Smoked Duck Sausage, Venison Terrine, Black and Blue Beef Tartare, Artisanal Cheese, and Accoutrements. There was no tartare. Instead of the venison terrine, there was a chicken liver puree. This is a big difference from what the menu listed, and we were never informed of the substitution until it was placed in front of my husband (and even then, the server acted like it just came that way all the time). Charcuterie board, big disappointment.

Moving on to main meals... husband ordered the Prime New York Strip Steak, a 12-oz Strip Steak, Peppercorn Brandy Sauce, and Carmody Potato Gratin. This was delicious, if a little too peppery, and definitely a better choice than mine, the 16-oz Boneless Rib-Eye, Sweet Potato Beignets, and Red Wine Butter. The sweet potato beignets were interesting, very good, but far too sweet to accompany the steak, more like a dessert. The rib eye? Too sauced in red wine butter, and while I expect ribeye to be marbled with fat and have some occasional toughness, this ribeye had far more fat and inedible parts than it did flavorful meat. I was disappointed.

But the biggest disappointment was in the side dishes. We ordered mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts to go with our meals. The mushrooms were unbearably salty. The Brussels sprouts? Far too overcooked and heavily sauced in a remoulade (yes! remoulade!) that had no place being served with Brussels sprouts- it's just not a flavor match. It sounds quibbly, but it was slightly distressing that the staff did not know how to properly turn out Brussels sprouts. No wonder most people don't like them. They're often served improperly cooked, as they were here. I expect more from a Signature restaurant. A shame.

For dessert, we both had the Crème Brûlée with Fresh Berries and Rolled Chocolate. We love creme brulee. This one was tolerable, but freezer cold in the middle. Another letdown.

The verdict: We have had far better meals at some of Disney's non-signature venues. With the exception of the New York Strip, the quality of the cuisine, the atmosphere, and service, did not live up to our Signature standards. We won't be returning to Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Bistro de Paris, France, World Showcase- my birthday dinner!:

It was pouring all day at WDW with no sign of letting up. We dressed up anyway, and completed our ensembles with ponchos and umbrellas for the walk over. No idea why Illuminations and park closing were put off until 10 pm this evening. Columbus Day crowds? But we had a late reservation, so it was lovely to be seated near the window, have some dinner, and still watch the action around World Showcase before and during Illuminations.

The tuxedoed waiters and white tablecloths always make me feel like I'm in a fancy place, and not a mere theme park restaurant. I love Bistro, and the meal did not disappoint. Even though our neighbors, celebrating an anniversary, were so inebriated that the husband could not do math to pay the bill, and the wife fell asleep twice face down in her plate- goodness!

Because it was my birthday, it seemed right to indulge in the Cake aux lardons, Gruyère et olives, salade verte, compote d’onions et tomates- Savory cake with bacon, Gruyere and olives, mixed greens, onions tomato chutney to start. Bacon cake! Do the French know how to eat, or what? It was actually more of a savory biscuit, a little heavy, but very good.

My husband started with the Jambon Serrano, Cèleri rémoulade et pointes d’asperges- Serrano ham, celery root remoulade and green asparagus. Also good, but he still spoke fondly of the last appetizer he had at Bistro (an escargot cassoulet) that obviously did not top this one in his book.

For the main meal, I chose Rouget Atlantique en écailles de pommes de terre, épinards, sauce romarin- Red snapper in potato “scales”, baby spinach, rosemary sauce. The rosemary sauce was prevalent and a tad strong, but the fish was so delightfully presented and perfectly cooked that it all worked together well. There's a similar dish at the Boardwalk's Flying Fish, but the presentations are different enough.

My husband had the Filet de bœuf grillé forestier, sauce Bordelaise, purée de pomme de terre- Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom “crust”, Bordelaise sauce, mashed potato. It was all so good.

It was getting late and we were about the only ones (one other couple) left in the dining room, so we decided not to order the souffle, which takes extra time, for dessert. I had the Moelleux au chocolat noir et amandes, croquant feuilletine, glace vanille. Warm chocolate and almond cake, feuilletine, vanilla ice cream, praline sauce. Delicious! But rich, and I was so full. My husband had some ice cream. And they presented a decorated plate with a candle for me to blow out on my birthday, which was an extra awesome surprise. Best birthday ever. Even while facing a walk "home" in the rain.

The verdict: Tres magnifique! If you haven't tried Bistro de Paris, add it to your list. Though, keep in mind that it does not accept dining plan and there's no children's menu.

See also:
    Quick Service Report
    Table Service Report
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your experience at Yachtsman's. I hope we have a better experience during our next trip. We've only dined there once before and, at that time, I thought it was good but not excellent but we were not totally relaxed as we had arrived late for our reservations and were concerned we would have missed our time.

We also had a lovely experience at Bistro. Glad you enjoyed it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I think the absence of menu-listed ingredients plus the service issues probably really colored our experience. Well, also the Brussels sprouts thing. A fine dining establishment should get such things right, but it really is a minor thing. My husband's main meal was delicious, and more along the lines of what we were hoping to find. Perhaps it was an off night for some things. I hope other people do have a better experience overall.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about Yachtsman. When you go to a signature, you do expect it to be exceptional. My daughters and I went to California Grill on our visit last week; and it was definitely our favorite meal of the trip.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report...it seems from the reports I've seen on yachtsman that people either love it or are terribly disappointed.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report--think I may try and change out Yachtsman for Jiko. Bistro sounds wonderful!!!
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

hope you had a good bday.
    Ive only been to Yachtsmen once yrs ago but wasnt overly impressed. Id stick to AP or CG.
    thanks for the report.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Yachtsman. We loved Yachtsman and my hubby who loves brussel sprouts loved theirs. We were the first ones there at opening so we also had no wait. Our waiter was really good. My sisters family went before our visit and said it was their favorite meal when they were there. Next week my mom, sister and brother are going there for the first time. So I am interested to see how they like it as my brother and sister eat at highly rated restaurants on a regular basis. I will put their reviews in my trip report when we all get back. The only reason why we aren't going with them is because we all have tix to mnsshp that night and my sis and I have to get the kids dressed in costumes etc. Didn't want to rush through dinner.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    Sorry to hear about Yachtsman. We loved Yachtsman and my hubby who loves brussel sprouts loved theirs. .
    They must have been cooked properly when he had them. There's no excuse for mushy vegetables. I also eat at highly rated restaurants fairly often, though not on a regular basis, so I have faith in my opinion. Though, obviously, there are going to be other opinions. I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I think the subs on the Charcuterie are shameful! I don't know that I would have ordered the replacement offering.

Your birthday dinner sounded wonderful. My DS13 would be all over the snapper you had! I haven't been to the Bistro in over 20 years (in the pouring rain with my parents... but that's another story). I do recall how wonderful the service was. I have to go back again!

Thanks for the report.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I think the subs on the Charcuterie are shameful! I don't know that I would have ordered the replacement offering.
    So true, and definitely not a good thing to list menu items one way and then cheap out on presentation. It was late, maybe they were out of things, but that deserves an explanation on ordering. The lack of caviar on my bisque wasn't a deal-breaker, but it should have been there if it was listed. And the charcuterie was not what it said it was, and that was very disappointing.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

The missing items are all top end and have the most effect on the bottom line.

Was there free dining in WDW this week perhaps???

Just sayin'..........

(I eat at Bistro every year and was only disappointed by the removal of the 5 course degustation menu with pairings, never by the food itself. I will be eating there this Saturday night!!!)

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdricks View Post
    The missing items are all top end and have the most effect on the bottom line.

Was there free dining in WDW this week perhaps???

Just sayin'..........

(I eat at Bistro every year and was only disappointed by the removal of the 5 course degustation menu with pairings, never by the food itself. I will be eating there this Saturday night!!!)

We had no problems at Bistro. Maybe because they don't take the dining plan. The problems were at Yachtsman Steakhouse, so yes, it was a free dining promotion and maybe you have a point. But lots of guests are not on a dining plan, and that's still so wrong. Plus, free dining plan promotions are going on almost all times of year now, so are they just going to let it all slide? I don't want to think so, but maybe.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Its one of the primary reasons why I go to Bistro every trip. I have never seen a slip in quality there.

All snark aside i would hate to see cost cutting measures being applied in such a crass method (subbing out key ingredients w/o warning).

Unfotuantely, having worked in the biz for my share of time, it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that you had a good dinner at Bistro (despite people falling asleep, yikes!) It is on my list of "next time" restaurants.

I was sorry to read about your less than magical experience at the Steakhouse, though.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: