Quantcast Was anyone else there for the Flood?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Was anyone else there for the Flood?

Wow we just got back Monday night from our amazing weekend to the World, I was wondering if anyone else was there for the crazy flood? I heard someone saying Saturday, Florida got more rain than they had in one day since 1952. I was wondering if yall were there what did you do? We decided to just push through it because our trip was so short we couldn't stand to lose park time. We went to Beach Club for breakfast ay 730am then headed out to Animal Kingdom and stayed there until it started getting dark-er. While there we walked onto the Yeti 5 times, Dinosaur, and saw the best Safari we've ever been on, in addition we had the best meal we ate at Yak and Yeti, hot tea, their trio appetizer and the fried won-tons for desert!!!! Of course our feet were pruney to the 9's and we were soaked to the bones. But we rocked our ponchos and only had one casualty, we lost a emergency phone recharger but I think I can replace it without too much trauma. After Animel Kingdom we came home and changed clothes then headed back out to DTD where we ate Earl of Sandwich (amazing) and shopped our little hearts out! As crazy as it was it was really amazing, we probably didn't take 10 pictures but it was crazy to see the park less crowded than when we have done EMHs in the past, it was just neat! We sat and ate ice cream (cause, once again, I'm crazy) and people watched under the overhang by EE and just had a ball. It was really fun. I hope everyone endured the rain as well as we did. Please share with me what yall did on the rainiest day I've ever seen, and I went through the North Alabama tornados in April of this year!
    You can't take the sky from me

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there Saturday, which was my birthday, and a day of straight pouring rain (as well as some of Sunday). We went to Epcot to enjoy some of the Food and Wine fest. Lots of booths were closed, couldn't handle the rain. But WS was pretty empty and it was fun. Cava del Tequila was packed, and anything indoors was packed. But Food and Wine under umbrellas was just fine for us. We went back to the Beach Club (where we stayed) for a break and came back at night for my birthday dinner at Bistro de Paris. When you're at WDW, you make the best of it no matter what.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wow . . . .

Thanks for the report!

I've been weather watching since we leave in less than 3 weeks and was shocked by the amount of rain that was predicted. I've always wondered what folks do in times like that!!

Good for you for keeping going ~ we'd be the same way!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds fun

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure us and SBET were in the minority, we heard people at our resort that morning saying "we'll just stay in and wait till it blows over" and since it never did we just saw less and less people as the day progressed. We heard people (we weren't eavesdropping I swear) talking at breakfast that on some message board they were smart-phoning it said that Animal Kingdom was the worst park for rain because no cover and such, so we bounced off that way hoping for less people and AK is one of our favs. It all worked out, cause I think everyone read about AK being not great for rain so we could do whatever we want lol even if we had to swim from ride to ride!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved to be there!!! It would feel like you're practically alone!

We weren't there but, someone that I work with was there. Said they just hung out at the resort and swam in the rain - which is cool too!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday was the last day of our 10-day trip. We started off by taking the bus to the Magic Kingdom and getting there shortly after opening. It was pretty much empty! We headed straight for Peter Pan, since we hadn't done it on the trip yet, then went to Space Mountain. Then we doubled back through Fantasyland to catch Philharmagic. From there we did Haunted Mansion and the Hall of Presidents, and then had lunch at the Columbia Harbor House for the first time, which we really enjoyed! It was cold in there since our ponchos were soaked and the AC was on, but it was still good food.

Then we grabbed our once-a-trip ice cream cookie sandwich from Sleepy Hollow, and took the ferry to the TTC to get a bus to the Studios. We did Tower of Terror, the line of which was a walk-on straight into the library, and skipped RNRC, since it had a 50 minute wait. We did Voyage of the Little Mermaid and the Magic of Disney Animation, and then sadly got on the bus to get back to our resort to catch the Magical Express.

The most magical thing of all? As bad as the rain was, our flight got out on time!

Post Thanks / Like

I love AK in the rain. That would have been the park of choice, except we had already had our AK day. It's a great rain park. We were there during the lead-in to Hurricane Wilma. We saw more animals on that safari than we had ever seen, and they were crazy active. We did both of the walking trails after that, too. You get a little wet walking around, but we get soaked on Kali anyway. Sunny days seem so hot in that park. It's perfect for rainy days. You made a good call.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just have to forge ahead regardless of the weather! I remember one trip where we had two solid days of torrential rains - the park was a sea of yellow (Ponchos were yellow in those days)!

Glad you managed to enjoy the parks regardless of the weather!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was there. While rare, it happens a few times a year, so no big deal. We do what we have to do to get through it.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend was wild for sure with the weather. We drove over Sunday morning to go to Epcot, and the whole way over it was pouring rain. Pouring! But by the time we got there, it had slowed down and we only got squirted on a little bit as we made our way around the World Showcase.

Now after the rain moved out, the humidity moved in. Blech!

Gotta love Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have (loudly) said while wandering through the resorts "gee, it's so bad today, we all better just grab some snacks and games from the gift shop here and go back to the room". Then I would have run to all of the other resorts doing the same thing, then enjoyed a private day at any park I wanted, puddling along in my own happy empty park.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the record rainfall of 6.16 inches of rain at Orlando Int'l Airport was only the daily record for all the October 8ths. The highest daily number I could find in Orlando from a quick google search was 8.19 inches, but don't quote me on that.

Either way it was wet!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds wet but fun! Anything for low crowds, right?
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

We had to toto grand Floridian for breakfast Sunday morning, so we went to MK to catch the monorail. At the bottom of the entrance there was at least a foot of water ponding at the bottom of the hill. People were pushing through it with strollers etc. It was crazy. Two cast members were debating wether or not to open a side entrance so people could avoid this pond. I can't believe they had to even think about it. We braved the rain on Saturday at MK and made it on slot of the shows and character meets since it wasn't too busy. But a bad thing is we canceled BBB because of the raion sunday and literally 1 hour later after we canceled it stopped raining for pretty much the rest of the trip.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: