Quantcast Disney instituting Credit Card guarantee for ADRs after 10/26/2011 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The 24 hours is there to make this a revenue stream. Just canceling prior to the ADR is good enough to fill the seats, but that wouldn't add to profits.

A systematic solution to preventing multiple ADRs is the right answer, but again, that's just a cost. There's no financial incentive in doing that.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a step in the right direction on Disney's part. Hopefully this will help bring back some of the quality that seems to have been lost along the way too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The 24 hours is there to make this a revenue stream. Just canceling prior to the ADR is good enough to fill the seats, but that wouldn't add to profits.

A systematic solution to preventing multiple ADRs is the right answer, but again, that's just a cost. There's no financial incentive in doing that.
    Yes it's a "profit" for Disney, but human nature has demonstrated that if there is no penalty, there will be no change in behavior; that is without a penalty, most people will not be cancelling ADR's when they don't intend to show up. I agree that there should be a way to prevent multiple ADR bookings for the same time period. DIsney could use the penalty fees to pay for such a system upgrade.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I might be comparing apples to oranges here BUT I work in a company where I schedule inspections based upon requirements of state law. Some people do not care or understand the responsibility and liability in this. Either way I schedule these inspections one month to two months in advance. I cannot even tell you how many people never show up for the appointment, which I have scheduled a two hour slot for and have two technicians sitting around waiting and you cannot just send them to the next appointment as those people were advised for a certain time and have done whatever they need to do to accomodate that time. Well, after no avail of reaching anyone, I have two technicians for two hours doing nothing waiting for the next thing because a customer who received a post card, email and multiple phone call confirmations decided to "blow it off". After you notice a "trend" in this behavior you have to hit them where it hurts. So we implemented a no-show charge policy. Yes, in unforseen circumstances where they call and say "I had to pick up my children from school" or even call the next day and say "I am so sorry I got in an accident and wasnt reachable at the time" THey do not get charged. But unfortunately we are in a society where people do not get it until it inconveniences THEM directly. Its almost like comparing it to a "tough love". And anytime we sent out a bill for the wasted time and effort, there were times where people called and complained and we would politely credit it and the customer got the hint.
    And ironically they would never not show up again.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I have all my resis's booked for our trip in March, do I need to call and give them my card??? I don't want any of them canceled and I have a bunch of them at the places listed.
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberj View Post
    I have all my resis's booked for our trip in March, do I need to call and give them my card??? I don't want any of them canceled and I have a bunch of them at the places listed.
    This only applies to ADRs made or changed after Oct 26.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very interesting development, and even after a couple days to ruminate I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the whole thing. Generally, I understand why Disney decided it needed to implement this policy, and I'm not convinced that it's solely a money grab. Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I believe Disney acknowledged a flaw in its system and is making an effort to rectify it.

Ideally, it wouldn't have come to this, but average guests have proven they will not play honestly and fairness. Like all restrictive policies, it ends up hurting the honest folks out there. That's an unfortunate side effect.

Ultimately, though, I think the initial outcry may be a bit unfounded. I'm sure Disney will waive the fee in many situations, but perhaps the threat will serve as a deterrent.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not... There are ways around the system to book two or more ressies at the same time. This will only deter a few people. The abusers will still make multiples and will cancel them last minute (24 hours is still last minute considering they can be booked 6 months out). Walk ups may get a chance, but those that tried and failed to get their LeCellier at 5 months will have found something else and won't know of the opening' or may have a penalty for cancelling something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it at all. Let me tell you why using my family as an example.

I have two small children and I try to remain extremely flexible on vacation - I book typically 2 sit down resturants a trip - sometimes 3. However things happen.

1. My 2 year old will decide not to nap. You can tell a child to lie down doesn't mean they will sleep. If my kid doesn't get a nap and I drag them into Le Celliers for our 6pm dining reservation that entire resturant is going to feel the brunt of his fury. Now under normal circumstances I would cancel the reservation that afternoon - but now I'm going to be charged $40.00 because my 2 year old decided to be stubborn?

2. People get sick. How many of us have woken up sick or with a sick child on our trips? I know I have! Now on top of being sick on vacation - I'm out $40.00.

3. Flights come in late. Our arrival day is usually one of the days we plan a sit down dinner. If my flight is delayed for whatever reason - I'm out $40.00.

4. Have you ever forgotten? Whoops! I know I have. Where suddenly you look down after waiting 45 minutes to see Buzz Lightyear only to realize you have an ADR planned that day.

5. Weather, Cars Breaking Down, Disney's own transportation not being reliable - we got stuck in Epcot once for 4 hours because there was a bomb scare on the busses. Missed an ADR at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I understand why the policy was put in place - truly I do. But are we really going to charge families for doing the right thing when their kids are melting down? sick? or God FORBID having a good time and racking up merchandise dollars in a store?

I really feel like I should write Disney a Thank You note. Because I doubt we will make any ADR's now. I'll take the $100 for the resturant trip and take my business off site or bring some groceries to the room to cook (we are DVC) for the $40.00 they would have charged me. Heck at this point I'm coming out ahead.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

So in the last month or so we have seen monorail hours cut, the doors to the MK stores locked at closing, and new charges instituted for failing to show up for dining reservations....not exactly magical in my book.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The only way i have found around this 24 hour penalty is to cut off my insane tweaking of Ressies for my december trip as of Oct 25th at 11:59pm....

If they have no card they have no way to charge me the fee

plus having this self mandated stopping point might just let me get my sanity back!!!!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    I really feel like I should write Disney a Thank You note. Because I doubt we will make any ADR's now. I'll take the $100 for the resturant trip and take my business off site or bring some groceries to the room to cook (we are DVC) for the $40.00 they would have charged me. Heck at this point I'm coming out ahead.

~Amanda
    Honestly, we make very few ADR's anymore, and we were able to score a couple of same day reservations when we wanted them during our August holiday. If committing to definite reservations with kids is an issue, do not despair!! We had very successful dining experiences!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

They have to do something about the bookings because it has gotten completely out of hand. I know some of you are mad about this but it is really a dissapointing process when you canot get into a restaurant that you really want. Remember some people only get to go once in a lifetime and unfortunately people over booking because of whatever reason just isn't fair. Disney knows there will be exceptions to this rule but they are doing something about it finally and I applaud them. People out there abuse the system, ruin it for everyone else and something needs to be done about it.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

This policy was already in place for the Akershus restaurant. I booked the dinner back in August for a Sept. 24th ressie and had to provide my CC#. It was clear I would be charged $10 per person, if I was a no show. Disney also sent me 2 e-mails reminding me of the ADR at around the 48 hour mark, if I remember correctly.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

yeah the ones on my current ADRs that have a cancellation policy already are:

Akershus
    California Grill
    Cinderella's Table
    HDDMR

So i made sure to not have those within 2 days of my Flights... because that is something that may be delayed giving flying in December.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would just do away with ADRs altogether and make ALL the restaurants walk up, wait for a table.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I wish they would just do away with ADRs altogether and make ALL the restaurants walk up, wait for a table.
    The best comment on here.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

I agree with this 100%.

I don't know how they can prevent people from making multiple ADRs unless they start limiting them to resort guests with confirmation numbers so they have unique code to track someone's entire vacation.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a good idea but don't they already have something like this established in order to prevent people from making multiple ADR's ? I know when I was booking my ADR's online it wouldn't allow me to double book anywhere. For example I had a reservation at Cape May on September 11th for 5:00 pm. I was searching for a table at Ohana's for the same time but didn't want to lose my Cape May reservation if I couldn't find a table at Ohana's. When I did find a table at Ohana's I booked it and a little window popped up and said I was already booked for that time and day at Cape May. It gave me the option to either cancel cape may and book Ohana's or vice versa. So I don't know if this new rule will help with the double booking thing. Hopefully it will get the wait time moving along quicker though.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    I think its a good idea but don't they already have something like this established in order to prevent people from making multiple ADR's ? I know when I was booking my ADR's online it wouldn't allow me to double book anywhere. For example I had a reservation at Cape May on September 11th for 5:00 pm. I was searching for a table at Ohana's for the same time but didn't want to lose my Cape May reservation if I couldn't find a table at Ohana's. When I did find a table at Ohana's I booked it and a little window popped up and said I was already booked for that time and day at Cape May. It gave me the option to either cancel cape may and book Ohana's or vice versa. So I don't know if this new rule will help with the double booking thing. Hopefully it will get the wait time moving along quicker though.
    No because people have already started cheating the system with the new one you mentioned in place. They are just using different accounts to book online with.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: