Quantcast Does Disney still have the "wow" factor?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Disney still have the "wow" factor?

A post on the thread about the "Avatar" announcement said this:

"For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore."

My first thought was the new "Magic, Memories and You" show projected on Cinderella Castle just before "Wishes." When I first read about what it would be, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. Then I saw it. Huge WOW.

Then I thought about riding POTC through Davy Jones' face, and popping virtual targets at Toy Story characters, and walking through the standby queue in Expedition Everest, and Soarin'.

Do you agree with the first thought -- that Disney can't wow us anymore? Or can you name other shows or attractions that you recently experienced and found yourself mouthing "wow"?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I can show you my credit card bill after my vacation

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree... Last trip I got home and looked at our food costs and said, "WOW!" I was in awe!

I was doubly impressed that they seem to still not be able to sell a decent souvenir t-shirt. I couldn't believe it's been about 5 years since I spent any money on trinkets at and of the shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think they can definetly still "wow" us. Frankly, im unimpressed with the Avatar decision. Ive never even seen Avatar so perhaps that has something to do with me being unimpressed. I just feel that there are so many Disney Pictures that could have been used for the basis of a new "themed land" at the parks.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW 6 times. I am still in awe enough times to wish for another trip. One does get used to repeated experiences and lose fear and awe, even dangerous stuff.
    I am glad I still enjoy WDW.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

i'm still wowed by what disney has done but look at the entertainment business.no new ideas ,everything seems to be a remake.on tv ,charlies angels, hawaii 50. the movie remakes,foot loose,wild west and more.the last movie i say that had me totally wowed was the matrix,the first one.i looked at my wife after the movie and wondered if she was real.lol. so its not just disney everything seems to be in a lull.

Post Thanks / Like

With new technology, it is hard to WOW anybody with anything. I love Disney and am always WOWed when I am there when I think about its history, (To think it all began with a Mouse) appreciate it service, and enjoy the 'getting away' from it all. For those who consider how much it costs, the thread on how much it costs at the other parks was a real eye-opener. BTW, on our next trip, DD looked into going to US for one day. Figuring in round trip transportation to and from DW, one day ticket, and food it would have cost well over $250.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I was recently "wow"-ed by the Memories, Magic, and You show.

I was recently "wow"-ed by the new Little Mermaid dark ride at DCA.

I am so excited about the new Carsland at DCA that I'm having a hard time containing the "wow". Just from the looks of it in the construction phase, I *know* it's going to blow my socks off.

I'm pretty sure the Fantasyland Expansion is going to be another "wow".

I know Disney is still capable of mind blowing stuff.

Unfortunately, too often $$$ gets in the way, and they are not able to fully realize their potential. This is what has been happening in the past, but it seems like they are finally becoming more open to spending the money to do things right.

The Disney parks will always be a work in progress, as Walt intended. Some changes will be good, some bad, some neutral. However, I disagree with the idea that they are not capable of "wow"-ing us anymore. They are, but they need to be given the means to do so by upper management.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

No I just cannot agree. Sorry. :0(
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

They "wowed" me on my very 1st trip and still continue to "wow" me now after many many trips!!! I don't ever anticipate not being "wowed" because that's what Disney is all about and I think that is why I continue to want to go back year after year!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My father has been taking me to Disney World since 1972. He always says that DW is not for children..only adults can truly appreciate all the work and technology that goes into everything. I am still wowed by the smallest details...I think to my self.."Who thought of that". For all those cast members past and present, who work hard everyday to 'Wow' us...Thank You...your efforts are not unappreciated.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    That was Priceless !!!! great answer..

Oh yeah and I think what would really "WOW" me is if they turn the Speed Way into the theme of Cars...Not that they will,but I would love to say WOW!!! if they did.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

WDW NEVER FAILS TO WOW ME!!! I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project. I am excited and if no one else is then maybe the crowds will be lower and my family will have the parks all to ourselves!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Default always wowwed

Yea I have to say that I will always be wowwed by Disney parks. Grew up going to WDW and then moved to Los Angeles and now I know I could never be unimpressed because I go to Disneyland Resort almost every other month.
    Will always appreciate the level of detail put into everything. This blows every other theme park out of the water for me. And that's while I will always be wowwed. And as for Avatar; I didn't love the movie but the visual beauty of it will make a great attraction. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! We sort of felt that way on this last trip but when we saw the Magic, Memories and you last week we were in awe! I think there are several things that we still have not done in Disney that have the wow factor. My husband who is a bigger disney fan than me actually said he is done with disney because its the same old same old. I told him there is so much we haven't done yet. We do the same rides and attractions year after year so that's why it seems old. I told him this year we would try new things. Our resort has all kinds of things to do that we haven't tried yet. So I think Disney will always have a wow factor but you just have to change it up a bit.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Disney still has it. I'm not crazy about the Avatar idea, but AK never really "wowed" me anyway. I'm much more of a Magic Kingdom, Epcot kinda guy. Lots of "wow" there!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

WDW can stil "wow" me but I think they are way too lazy about entertaining people who visit time and time again.

MSEP was a wow when it premiered. Today it's not a classic, it's simply tired. Spectromagic was the next generation of night time parade. It was a wow. So what followed it? The return of MSEP. No one said, "Wow". Even the music went from, "glimmering, shimmering carousseling" back to "dinka dink dink" That Electric Hoedown that was once new... and a wow.

Captain EO? Really? I could take WDW first timers to EPCOT and there are things that would wow them but I'd be simply embarrassed to take them to Captain EO when there are better 3D features showing at the local theaters at home.

WDW wants us to keep coming back. They want us to stay a week when we visit. They want us to buy DVC memberships so we commit to come back time and time again.

They need to keep wowing us.

I am looking forward to the new attractions at the MK and I am looking forward to Avatar attractions at WDW for several reasons but mainly because James Cameron wants to come to Disney Parks and do something new. And unlike Lassiter grinding out the tired on delivery Cars 2, Cameron will wow us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it!
    All right, what is Disney poor??

For me, living just 45 minutes from the magic and going for 10+ years at least every 1-2 months for a day or so...it totally has the WOW factor still!

Call me dorky, corny, sentimental, crazy...but every time I walk through one of the park entrances something instantly happens to me...the cares of the real world are gone. I'm neck deep in fantasy, imagination, fun and memories. This became even more priceless with the birth of my sons and now watching their faces light up every time we go
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: