Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

It's a photo finish - who got this up first?
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

So it appears that Disney is out of their own ideas.

Or is it just that Cameron and FOX gave them such a great deal that they couldn't resist?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    So it appears that Disney is out of their own ideas.
    More like "out of money".

Ugh. The more I think about this, the worse it sounds. Can we think of a more UN family friendly movie? This is just so wrong...

Man, you'd think Disney had NO movies that made use of the theme of nature/animals/conservation.

Major FAIL Disney...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't make any sense to me. I guess this will be one section of AK that I never set foot in.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Harry Potter Land Part Deux... Avatar was pleasing to the eye, but I really can't imagine a whole land in a park. What's wrong with Beastly Kingdom? Oh, no sponsor... I forgot...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Wow ... and I thought Disney had bottomed out with Chester and Hester ....
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wow ... and I thought Disney had bottomed out with Chester and Hester ....
    LOL nope.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this is so bad it HAS to be a joke. Avatar? Really? I could only watch bits and pieces of it before I decided it wasn't worth my time. It is COMPLETELY not Disney. What a waste of time, money and effort this will be. I guess I'm done with AK completely....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Ok, this is so bad it HAS to be a joke. Avatar? Really? I could only watch bits and pieces of it before I decided it wasn't worth my time. It is COMPLETELY not Disney. What a waste of time, money and effort this will be. I guess I'm done with AK completely....
    I'm just curious, why is the movie NOT Disney? Cameron created a whole new world for the movie. It's about remembering where we come from, and living, not dying, with the things around us. What is more Disney than that?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I'm not interested......I think I might be the only person left on earth that hasn't seen this movie.....don't plan to either...
    WDW '87 POLYNESIAN
    WDW '94 OKW
    WDW '95 OKW
    WDW '97 OKW
    WDW '99 OKW
    WDW '99 OKW
    WDW '01 OKW
    WDW '02 OKW
    WDW '04 OKW

WDW '06 SARATOGA SPRINGS
    WDW '07 OKW
    WDW '08 OKW
    WDW '09 OKW/SARATOGA SPRINGS
    WDW '12 OKW/BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I had all these different things multi quoted but my mind is in such a tizzy over all that's being said that I lost my direction.

I will start by saying that I did see Avatar, the visuals were amazing....and that's about it. Yes, the movie was a MASSIVE hit...but I have some pretty big "nerds" in my various circles of friends, and I don't know anyone who is an Avatar geek. Clearly they exist, but on the other hand I can't even begin to count the number of Star Wars nerd and Harry Potter nerd friends that I have.
    I know at least 10 friends/families (myself included) that went to Wizarding World within the first year of opening. I don' t know a single person who would travel to WDW just because they created an Avatar land. I'm willing to take the wait and see approach because we have no idea what the sequels will be like, but I wasn't a fan of the script in the first one so my hopes aren't too high.

As for all the Pocahontas comparisons... you guys do know that she was an ACTUAL person, right? Not a figment of Disney's imagination?They certainly took liberties with her story but She did indeed befriend John Smith and may or may not have valiantly saved him from execution depending on which account of his travels you choose to believe, but they weren't lovers. The "romance" aspect of this tale has been around in writings for at least two centuries, so I really doubt James Cameron came up with the plot first (unless he's an ageless vampire?) Anyway, take away the romance and it reminded me more of that Fern Gully movie!

Lastly I am a bit surprised by the tone taken by some in this thread. Yes, people are being negative. People are allowed to be negative if they want. There is some initial shock that inevitably comes with this seemingly out of left field announcement. There are people that will always be critical-that's just a given. In particular, those unfamiliar with the Avatar property and it's success at home and abroad and the future benefits that may come from a deal such as this should not be talked down to. No one REALLY knows if this will be a boom or a bust for Disney until the gates open in 4 years. All we can do at this point is what we do best on message boards like this- speculate. Can't wait to hear the next podcast!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, well I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with my first reaction! Ugg! We really need "Like" buttons on here!

I'm thinking they are trying to compete with Universal & their Harry Potter World! Please! I see no longevity here! Toy Story has way more staying power & could've been targeted a bit more. I liked Avatar, but I don't see this as a good fit for WDW.
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Not. The only thing that saved the movie was special effects. I'm surprised Disney allowed this. Afterall, wasn't it a ripoff of Disney's Pocahontas? Just with blue aliens and fancy technology?

If the Avatars start singing the Colors of the... I'll lose it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this might actually be a worse idea than adding real cloned Tyranosaurs and Velociraptors to Dinoland and putting them behind electric fences.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to stay positive. I loved the message of Avatar, and I don't think anything could make AK WORSE in my eyes, so bring it on! I'm excited to at least see some new touches to my least favorite park...
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I missed it but will they make a whole new land or will they replace a current land with this Avatar land?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like that idea at all!!!!!
    Aug '96 off-site
    Sep '97 off-site
    Nov '99 CS
    Oct '01 ASMovies
    Sep '02 ASMusic
    WL
    Aug '04 ASSports
    Feb '05 Cont
    May '05 YC
    Jun '05 POFQ
    Oct '06 Poly
    Jul "07 Poly
    Apr '08 ABD-Costa Rica
    Jan '09 WL
    Sep '10 AKL
    Apr '11 GF
    Oct '11 WL

Post Thanks / Like

I only hope enough money is spent to do it correctly and with incredible detail. It's fit into AK? The whole theme of Avatar is people's relationship to nature and eachother. Isn't that how we would exactly define AK's purpose?

Perfect fit.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

In Avatars favor, absolutely STUNNING visuals. If you are going to see a movie for eye candy only, then you are fine.

Thats it. Nothing else. Very old and tired story line where the soldier goes "native" and renounces his former heritage. Dances with wolves was much better of a story. Pocohontas in Space just isnt very original.

Anyways, I too am stuggling to see a connection between Disney and Avatar. Im coming up with nothing. Its a bit violent for Disney I would think.

I do think that one "lesson" from the movie does mesh well with AK. Dont abuse the planet just for its natural resourses. But come on Disney, there have to be better examples out there. Or if not then make one.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&AngieMarriner View Post
    Anyways, I too am stuggling to see a connection between Disney and Avatar. Im coming up with nothing. Its a bit violent for Disney I would think.
    Sorry, I meant to post this earlier, but I got caught up in the posts and forget about it....also forgive me if something similar got posted in the interim and I missed it....but the violence in Avatar really isn't all that different from other movies disney has featured. The following numbers are widely available from the numerous body count websites that document each on screen death in a movie. (I did not do personal counts to verify the data )

Avatar - 69 humans, 74 Nav'i, 4 hairless tar dogs, 1 blue deer, 2 avatars, 17 6-legged blue horses, 13 banshees and 1 panther dragon.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 55 people, a monkey and 63 snakes.

Star Wars (first movie) - 115 humans, plus 9 jawas, 6 X-wings, 8 tie fighters, 3 Y-Wings, the entire planet of Alderaan.

By the way for those thinking the Lord of the Rings would be a good fit....consider that the last episode's (Return of the King) body count is reportedly as follows. 15,107 men, 205,066 orcs, 110 trolls, 7 horses, 1 worm, 1 hobbit, 1 catfish, 20 elephants, 9 Nazgul, 9 Fell Beasts, 1 giant spider, Sauron and Gollum.

So, the violence of Avatar isn't really all that different from several movies already featured at WDW.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: