Quantcast Disney Updating Rides but Actually Making Them Worse

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Biolante Guest

Default Disney Updating Rides but Actually Making Them Worse

As opposed to the "rides that need updating" thread I think the bigger problem is Disney using advice like this to actually make attractions a lot worse.

I can think of a few that just made me angry:

The Enchanted Tikki Room Under New Management was mangled to death. I've thought this since the 90's too. Noone wants to hear Gilfred Godfrey singing, no one. They took something that was cute and quaint and made it completely corny and annoying in an attempt to hawk new characters. Thank god they went back to the original style recently.

The Mexico ride with the addition of Donald Duck and the Three Caballeros. This did nothing for the ride. It was much more enjoyable before they randomly editing Donald into every scene.

The Seas with Nemo and Friends. While, the original ride may have not been the best thing ever, just dumping character tie-ins that have little to do with the theme of structure of the pavillion or Future World was very annoying. The 3D effects while interesting, seem a bit lazy as well. Over all, this ride does nothing to teach anoyone about anything.

Ones that are so so:

Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times. Thank god, the Haunted Mansion movie bombed. I can only imagine how much that ride would have been destroyed if that wasn't the case.

Ones that worked imo:

Ellen's Energy Adventure. The original Universe of Engery was the most boring attraction in existence. The people that don't like this ride now obviously have not been on the previous version. It was something you had to sit through like a million hours of boring films that wouldn't make the cut in a High School science class to see dinosaurs for. The new version is several times more entertaining my comparsion. And unlike the Seas, the new version actually still ties in with th educational aspect of the park.

Rides that should not be touched even though people may feel a need to:

The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios. I'm just too paranoid about the fact they would try to jam in <snip> popcorn movies that aren't actually classic films to appease a bunch of idiots with no taste. The people on this ride should be exposed to actual great movies so they actually see something that doesn't use CGI and "shakey cam" to cover up a lack of actual film making and plot. Maybe they could update some of the animatronics, but the line up of films should reamin as is.
    Last edited by Ian; 09-07-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: TOS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is an extremely well written and thought out topic!! I have to admit that I agree with you on everything.

With that being said though, I am glad they changed some of the things they changed (even if I do agree with you). Like, adding Nemo and Donald Duck. My reason for this is because it allowed my wife and I to take my son on these two attractions the last 3 years (starting when he was 3 years old). He was still interested in the attractions because of the additions, and we were still able to enjoy the attraction (even if it was a bit more tacky than it was before).

I completely agree with what you said about Gilbert Godfrey and POTC.

Thanks for the great thoughts!!!

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

I actually enjoy the addition of Donald and the caballeros to the Mexico ride. I liked the old version, too. This one leaves me indifferent. It's just a fun way to pass some time in World Showcase.

The Seas with Nemo and friends could have been better. But, I'm glad they did something. This area has needed something for a long time. We'd started avoiding the pavilion. We have great aquariums to visit elsewhere, so there was not much draw for us to hit the Living Seas. I preferred the original ride-through without characters, but that has been gone so long that some people never saw it or don't remember it.

Pirates was surprisingly well done for me. I had worried about the changes, but I thought the new animatronics were added in a way that didn't distract or take away from the classic ride as we all love it.

I completely disagree with you on the addition of Ellen to Universe of Energy. Huge mistake there. I love Ellen, but the schtick doesn't work and cheeses up the attraction in a most unappealing way for us. We haven't been back to that one in years.

As for changes in general, I see the need for occasional change, and it can't be easy because lots of us will not agree on if the change is for better or for worse, as evidenced here by us.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You left out a couple of biggies from my list, the most notable of which would be the (lack of) Imagination pavilion which went from one of the absolute best attractions Disney has ever done to possibly the worst.

Also Stitch ... I wasn't a huge fan of AE, but at least it had a bit of edge and coolness to it. Stitch is just sad.

Agree with all the ones you've listed, though.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biolante View Post

The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios. I'm just too paranoid about the fact they would try to jam in <snip> popcorn movies that aren't actually classic films to appease a bunch of idiots with no taste. The people on this ride should be exposed to actual great movies so they actually see something that doesn't use CGI and "shakey cam" to cover up a lack of actual film making and plot. Maybe they could update some of the animatronics, but the line up of films should reamin as is.
    I disagree with part of it. I feel it could be updated with different classics that were influential. Maybe add in some classic WW2 movies to swap out some of the western theme, and swap out Aliens with another space movie like 2001, Star Wars, something. . I always felt that aliens didn't fit in. Not in the same league as Raiders, Wizard of Oz, etc.
    Last edited by Ian; 09-07-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Edit quoted post

Post Thanks / Like

Ones that are so so: Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times.
    Kind of harsh in the wording... and while I'm not the biggest Depp fan in the world the Jack Sparrow thing takes nothing away from the attraction and adds a bit of fun.

Ones that worked imo: Ellen's Energy Adventure.
    There is absolutely nothing that works about EEA.

I'm no big fan of the whole shaky cam thing either...I just got through enduring this again in Apollo 18...but there have been lots of films made since the ride opened that are are absolutely wonderful and are even better (imo) than some included in the ride. An occasional update wouldn't take away from the ride, if the movies included are truly "great."

:two cents:
    Last edited by Ian; 09-07-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Edit quoted post
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Biolante Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I disagree with part of it. I feel it could be updated with different classics that were influential. Maybe add in some classic WW2 movies to swap out some of the western theme, and swap out Aliens with another space movie like 2001, Star Wars, something. . I always felt that aliens didn't fit in. Not in the same league as Raiders, Wizard of Oz, etc.
    Alien is probalby the greatest horror movie and certainly one of the best science fiction movies ever made. It definitley belongs there. The cinematography, set design, acting, everything is amazing. I don't think you know how well regarded that movie is in critic's circles.

The ride also needs something scary, and there really isn't a horror film of that league that has that much mainstream recognition in existence.

I don't think we really need any war movies in the ride either. It would add politics and real world death and misery, which is kind of a drag for something that is supposed to be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You left out a couple of biggies from my list, the most notable of which would be the (lack of) Imagination pavilion which went from one of the absolute best attractions Disney has ever done to possibly the worst.
    Could not agree with you more!! The original ride was a must-do every trip..... often more than once! We would spend a lot of time playing with all the exhibits in that pavillion after the ride.

Now, if we do the ride at all, we walk straight through the pavillion, check for new Figment merchandise and move on. Very, very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKim22 View Post
    Could not agree with you more!! The original ride was a must-do every trip..... often more than once! We would spend a lot of time playing with all the exhibits in that pavillion after the ride.

Now, if we do the ride at all, we walk straight through the pavillion, check for new Figment merchandise and move on. Very, very sad.
    I agree. Imagination makes me really sad. I hadn't bothered to ride it in a long time. I took my children on it Sunday and then had to explain it used to be so so much better.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Biolante Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I agree. Imagination makes me really sad. I hadn't bothered to ride it in a long time. I took my children on it Sunday and then had to explain it used to be so so much better.
    I don't think the original dark ride was all that great. Too many stupid songs. I didn't even liked it when I was 4. The current one, that is an edit of a prior verison that I kind of liked more, definitley needs some work however.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the original dark ride was all that great. Too many stupid songs. I didn't even liked it when I was 4. The current one, that is an edit of a prior verison that I kind of liked more, definitley needs some work however.
    There was one song that was used throughout the entire original ride. So saying that there were too many stupid songs makes no sense. You could say that you didn't like that one song, but if that's the case, then you don't like the song in the current version either since it's the same tune with some different lyrics.

I think that the original version is a little overrated, but I'll still take it any day over what has been in that pavilion since then.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Biolante Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    There was one song that was used throughout the entire original ride. So saying that there were too many stupid songs makes no sense. You could say that you didn't like that one song, but if that's the case, then you don't like the song in the current version either since it's the same tune with some different lyrics.

I think that the original version is a little overrated, but I'll still take it any day over what has been in that pavilion since then.
    Ok correction, one really long annoying song.

Post Thanks / Like

One big mistake for us would have been replacing Monster Sound Show (a cheesy but fun, interactive attraction that had a Martin Short-Chevy Chase movie) with the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous snoozefest. I understand there needed to be a change- it still wasn't the most exciting attraction on the block- but the change was not an improvement. And Sounds Dangerous never really took off for guests, it seems.They can do so much better.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

As opposed to the "rides that need updating" thread I think the bigger problem is Disney using advice like this to actually make attractions a lot worse.

I can think of a few that just made me angry:

The Enchanted Tikki Room Under New Management was mangled to death. I've thought this since the 90's too. Noone wants to hear Gilfred Godfrey singing, no one. They took something that was cute and quaint and made it completely corny and annoying in an attempt to hawk new characters. Thank god they went back to the original style recently.

The Mexico ride with the addition of Donald Duck and the Three Caballeros. This did nothing for the ride. It was much more enjoyable before they randomly editing Donald into every scene.

The Seas with Nemo and Friends. While, the original ride may have not been the best thing ever, just dumping character tie-ins that have little to do with the theme of structure of the pavillion or Future World was very annoying. The 3D effects while interesting, seem a bit lazy as well. Over all, this ride does nothing to teach anoyone about anything.

Ones that are so so:

Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times. Thank god, the Haunted Mansion movie bombed. I can only imagine how much that ride would have been destroyed if that wasn't the case.

Ones that worked imo:

Ellen's Energy Adventure. The original Universe of Engery was the most boring attraction in existence. The people that don't like this ride now obviously have not been on the previous version. It was something you had to sit through like a million hours of boring films that wouldn't make the cut in a High School science class to see dinosaurs for. The new version is several times more entertaining my comparsion. And unlike the Seas, the new version actually still ties in with th educational aspect of the park.

I like your arguments, as they are well thought out and valid, but I respectfully disagree with most of them. I think the additions of the Caballeros, the Nemo characters, and Jack Sparrow were a success. I'm embarrassed to say I liked Under New Management too. In contrast, I would love it if they got rid of Ellen.
    Most importantly though, I do agree with your final point, that the Great Movie Ride is such an underrated classic that should not be changed at this point, and for many years to come!
    Last edited by Ian; 09-07-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Edit quoted post
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I think adding Nemo to Living Seas was a great idea. Personally I don't think it is better or worse than the old version, but for kids to see their favorite characters swimming in the ocean opens the ride up for everyone to enjoy. And the more kids that want to ride through it, the more they can learn once inside.

Energy is a boring ride, the only good thing I can think to say about that is that it saves me a trip back to the hotel to take a nap, since I just go there.

Other than that I agree with the rest of the original opinions.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of what you said except I do like Jack Sparrow in POTC. Also,the Great Movie Ride is and always will be my favorite ride at DHS but it could use a little updating. That doesn't mean I think they need to take out the classic scenes,just add a few snipets here and there from really good fairly recent films.

I really do not like the updated Mexico ride...completely 100% agree with that. Although I do not hate Stitch like most on here seem to, I agree Alien Encounter was a much better attraction. Enchanted Tiki Room, yep that was a disaster.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Y

Also Stitch ... I wasn't a huge fan of AE, but at least it had a bit of edge and coolness to it. Stitch is just sad.
    i agree with that! I loved AE and wish my kids could have experienced it!

LEAVING TOMORROW NIGHT FOR DISNEY!!!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

When they update a ride like the Great Movie Ride, rather than replacing scenes, I'd rather they update the technology in the existing scenes. The audio-animatronics technology has come a long way since that ride was developed...as well as some other technologies. I liked the addition of Jack Sparrow to PoTC, but his figure is so much smoother and better than all the others, so that it stands out.

I agree that the Tiki Room under new management was not very good, but I never liked the original, so....

I'm still surprised that WDW hasn't updated the 3D movies with the newer Digital 3D technology that they used for movies like Tron: Legacy.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

cant believe how many people actually LIKE what happened to the Mexico ride. I hate how it has been dumbed down so much.
    Nothing is more about the essence of Mexico than Donald Duck, right?
    The ride is just silly now, and the Mrs refuses to ride it anymore, prefering to grab a snack instead.
    I do admit, when I ride it I mostly imagine the old ride rather than watch the sillyness on the tv screens.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    cant believe how many people actually LIKE what happened to the Mexico ride. I hate how it has been dumbed down so much.
    Nothing is more about the essence of Mexico than Donald Duck, right?
    The ride is just silly now, and the Mrs refuses to ride it anymore, prefering to grab a snack instead.
    I do admit, when I ride it I mostly imagine the old ride rather than watch the sillyness on the tv screens.
    It wasn't exactly high education previously. Adding the duck and friends did not do much to really change the ride, for me. We lost a few plugs to visit Mexico, nothing very informative about the culture or people beyond some brief PR snips in aging, grainy video clips.
    Sherri

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: