Quantcast Rides run faster during busy seasons???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rides run faster during busy seasons???

I was just watching some vacation videos and I couldn't help but notice that some rides (TTA & Jungle Cruise to name a couple) seemed to run a lot faster in June than they did in November. In the video, I mentioned it to one of my kids and suggested that perhaps the rides run faster when the parks are busier. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it true, or am I just nuts??? "Enquiring minds want to know!"
    July, 1973 - Polynesian
    July, 1976 - Polynesian
    July, 1978 - Polynesian
    October, 1982 - Hotel Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)
    November, 1999 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2003 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
    November, 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If thats the case could explain why the TTA is always breaking down
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

They, can't run faster. But they can have more ride vehicles on, so the queue will move faster

Post Thanks / Like

Why cant they run faster? Not all rides of course, but I dont see why they couldnt turn the power up on TTA for example, or are they only made to do one speed? I know on horror nights at Universal they run the carousel slowly, so presumably alterations of speed are sometimes possible. Anyone well informed on ride technology? I have never thought about this before, but now I am really curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt that our last visit the speeds were a bit greater when we rode Splash Mountain, POTC, at least. SM was down for a couple hours at the start of the day, and I think the flow was higher. Not as 'languid.'

POTC, the flow seemed faster, too.

And Expedition Everest seemed to really slam us up the hills rather than just pull.

I'd like to get a CM to confirm whether they can up the ante when they need to (not putting slides or roller coaster dives any faster, perhaps, but getting them to the hill and up it faster).

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I will admit I don't know for sure, but I feel relatively confident in saying that for certain rides (Omnimover types, for example) they most definitely turn up the belt speed during busier times.

I don't think they can run coasters any "faster" necessarily, but they can add more cars and run them as close together as safety standards allow.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Former cast member perspective:

I don't think they "turn up" TTA and other attractions. However- I used to work at Space Mountain and I can tell you the following for sure:
    When it is running at a higher capacity (meaning, there is always a line, steady stream of full rockets, etc.) the dispatch rate does move up. For example, when the park is slower and in order to ensure that there are full trains going out, cast members have the ability to increase the amount of time in between rocket ships. When it's busier, the amount of time between rocket ships leaving dispatch decreases. Rocket ships leave more frequently.

This doesn't exactly refer to your question, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit to share with you!
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I will admit I don't know for sure, but I feel relatively confident in saying that for certain rides (Omnimover types, for example) they most definitely turn up the belt speed during busier times.
    In particular, I think of Haunted Mansion here and how I'm always trying to take in all the details in the Bride Room. I find that room fascinating. Anyway, sometimes it seems like we FLY through there and I can't make anything out, and sometimes I can get all the dates on the portraits and compare.

Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Mission Space sure seemed a shorter ride in August than it was when we rode it the year before in May. Seems like it had a more abrubt ending when we went in August. I don't know if it in fact was cut short due to crowds or if it was my imagination (or wanting more!) but my daughters also thought it seemed shorter.
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

They absolutely either speed up certain attractions, or REDUCE the number of rotations (on the carousel, dumbo, astro orbiter, teacups, and those types of rides) at the Disney parks according to time of year/crowds, weather, etc.

I have visited Disneyland often enough to have proof of this, as I eventually began timing rides to compare them when I first noticed this happening a few years ago.

For example, the Teacup ride at Disneyland can range anywhere from 30 sec-90 sec "ride time". The Carousel can do anywhere from 5-15 rotations. These are just some concrete examples from my own observations.

I have also noticed that Small World has variable "cruising speeds" and almost every ride can adjust capacity as needed.

So, it's definitely not all in your head. It is a real thing.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Disney successfully implements a manufacturing model called "1 Piece Flow". This is a "Lean" Principle. Lean is a business model that eliminates waste from a business. It goes hand in hand with Value Based Six Sigma.
    That means in terms of a manufacturing line a piece to be manufactured does not enter the manufacturing line until a completed piece comes off.
    So on a ride like Pirates of the Caribbean, a new boat is not packed with people and does not depart from the queue until one boat ends the ride and all the riders come off. What this does is makes each ride a "revolving door" so to speak, instead of a funnel. The revolving door is much more efficient and easier on park goers, because the line is constantly moving instead of jamming as many people as you can through a funnel.
    Capacity for the ride is determined by the speed of the ride, number of riders per boat, and they adjust the length of the queue pathways accordingly.
    Have you ever been on a ride and been given a red card at the front of the line and then you have to pass it to the castmember as you get on the ride? They are measuring the time you waited on line so that they can adjust the capacity of the ride. They can add or take a car away to adjust.
    Now keep in mind they also take into account estimates of what the total park crowd will be, and how many Cast Members will be needed to run each ride and manage each queue. They may be able to estimate what park levels will be like, but even Disney gets caught by surprise sometimes, and wait times are affected. But Disney does a pretty good job at managing each queue wait time, and does a good job of informing the crowd how long the waits are.
    Pretty cool huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    .....I eventually began timing rides to compare them when I first noticed this happening a few years ago.

For example, the Teacup ride at Disneyland can range anywhere from 30 sec-90 sec "ride time". The Carousel can do anywhere from 5-15 rotations. These are just some concrete examples from my own observations.

I have also noticed that Small World has variable "cruising speeds" and almost every ride can adjust capacity as needed.
    Wow...timing "length of ride" variations...this points to a genuine passion for things Disney which is one of the reasons I enjoy Intercot so much. Passion is always more interesting than apathy.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I can't prove it, but way back in 1999, we rode Pirates of the Caribbean very late at night and the crowd had thinned to the point where there was no one in the boats fore and aft, I swear our boat was moving more slowly than usual, giving us a great chance to observe details! In contrast, in 2003, when we rode Peter Pan during peak park hours, I would testify that they had put the ride on maximum overdrive. I was whipping my head around trying to catch a glimpse of anything before it was too late, and the ride seemed short.

Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Wow...timing "length of ride" variations...this points to a genuine passion for things Disney which is one of the reasons I enjoy Intercot so much. Passion is always more interesting than apathy.
    Ha ha! It was mostly so I could make sure I wasn't going insane. I used to go about once a week, and sometimes consecutive days in a row. My kids are a bit OCD about which rides they will go on, to the point where our park time went like this every time (these would always be the first five rides, in that order):
    -Teacups
    -Carousel
    -Circus Train
    -Dumbo
    -Small World

Sometimes, that would be all we'd do, and so I got VERY intimately involved in the operation of these rides. For my own sanity, and to change things up a bit, I started keeping track of the length of the rides when I noticed that they were not fixed.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Other than adjusting the number and departure times of vehicles I don't think they could speed up a ride. Mission Space on the other hand in my opinion has been shortened to make it a less intense experience.
    There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I had wondered about this too. Me and my friend were watching Youtube videos of Storybookland at DL and noticed that on the first video you could really see details and the "tour Guide" was able to take her time and even throw some jokes in and on the second video we missed alot of details and the guide seemed very rushed...on the first the boat didnt seem as full as it was in the second. Very good question )
    Married my prince charming Nov 10, 2013!!
    Nov '13 honeymoon trip at AoA
    Sept '14 Upcoming trip at AoA

Many trips since '85
    Addicted to Pixie Dust since Birth!
    Tomorrow Is Just a Dream Away

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B View Post
    Other than adjusting the number and departure times of vehicles I don't think they could speed up a ride. Mission Space on the other hand in my opinion has been shortened to make it a less intense experience.
    I think it's the opposite. I'm fairly certain Mission:Space hasn't been shortened, just the spinning has been removed for less G's (aka less intense) in the Green version.

I do think it's possible to speed up the Omni mover and boat rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I do think it's possible to speed up the Omni mover and boat rides.
    If you think about it duh ... we all know for a fact that they can adjust the speed of the rides.

Remember how Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion or Buzz Lightyear will slow down suddenly while you're riding? That's because they slow the ride mechanism down to let disabled riders board. I've witnessed it happening firsthand. They first slow the ride down to allow them additional time to board. If, for some reason, that isn't enough then they'll stop the ride altogether.

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I think it's safe to say that if they can slow the ride down they can speed it up and I don't see why they wouldn't want to do that to help with ride throughput during busier times.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I was on Peter Pan, I was amazed at how fast we were going. The ships were actually swinging out a little on the turns, which I don't remember before. Also, the ride seemed like it was about half the length as normal...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    The last time I was on Peter Pan, I was amazed at how fast we were going. The ships were actually swinging out a little on the turns, which I don't remember before. Also, the ride seemed like it was about half the length as normal...
    It's funny, but that's the ride I notice it the most on, as well. In fact, when I first read the OP the ride that immediately popped into my head was Peter Pan.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: