Quantcast Boat & Monorail Service

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat & Monorail Service

I was in Orlando the week of August 14th. Stayed at the Poly for 3 nights and the Contemporary for 5 nights.

2 HUGE Disappointments for Deluxe Resort Guests:

No boat service to and from Contemporary. Why? when you have it for the Grand and Poly. Yes, I'm aware the Grand and Poly in all do respect are a step up. But at the end of the day, there all deluxe resorts. And PLEASE dont tell me to walk when I've been walking all day through the park. PS: not a fan of the buses.

Second, Monorail service ends exactly 1 hour after park closes whether you are out of the park or not. Then you have to opt for the boat which is ok. However,I'm a deluxe resort guest, TREAT me like it. Monorail Service should not end as it has been in the past. PS: I usually always one of the last out of the park.

'82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" -Saint Augustine

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMouse View Post
    No boat service to and from Contemporary. Why? when you have it for the Grand and Poly. Yes, I'm aware the Grand and Poly in all do respect are a step up. But at the end of the day, there all deluxe resorts.
    I think it's more about location and logistical costs, as the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness offer boat service and they are in the moderate category.

However,I'm a deluxe resort guest, TREAT me like it. Monorail Service should not end as it has been in the past.
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, but other than room and resort amenities, which you can pay more for if you choose, everything else in Disney is equal for all guests.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default No joke

The Wilderness Lodge is actually considered a Deluxe Resort. However, because it was built at a later date and building monorail tracks is so expensive/ I believe that is why it is not on a mono track. Not to mention already 3 hotels in that area which are.

The monorail track/system are what makes the Grand, Poly, and Cont so special. Are those hotel still great without the monorail, Absolutely.

But in essence, the guests that are staying at the Grand, Poly, Contem, are paying for that wonderful service in an indirect way.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" -Saint Augustine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMouse View Post
    The Wilderness Lodge is actually considered a Deluxe Resort.
    My mistake, I meant to separate them out, but just typed faster than I was thinking. Fort Wilderness is the moderate with boat service. We spent many years camping there when I was younger and loved taking the boat back and forth.

The monorail track/system are what makes the Grand, Poly, and Cont so special. Are those hotel still great without the monorail, Absolutely.
    Interesting, because the monorail is not even on our list of reasons why we stay at the Grand Floridian. I honestly wish that they were able to complete the pathway around the 3 resorts, as we would definitely choose to walk back if that was a possibility.

I think they've tried different things with the monorail out of MK, even having an express resort only side that didn't stop at the TTC. Not sure if they do that anymore. I'm not a huge monorail fan myself, so we do try to avoid it if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default MK resorts

I enjoy the monorail and always use it when necessary. I can't stand the buses.

But hey, the Grand is untouchable with or without monorail service. hat an amazing hotel. We have a huge attachment there. It feels like your back home when you check in.

My childhood memories in WDW were mostly at the poly.

The boat ride to and from the MK was actually very nice. We always just jumped on the monorail. Being that we love the MK and transportation means are easy (mono/boat) I'm drawn to the poly, grand, cont. Personally< i cant see staying anywhere else anymore. And I have tried moderates and values before. Obviously, a pretty big difference then the deluxe resorts but its what you budget for.
    '82-WDW
    '87-Pol
    '88-Pol
    '89-GF
    '00-CB
    '01-Dis. Wonder/Pol
    '02-GF
    '04-WDW/Coro
    '05Pop
    '06-Pop
    '08-DL Paris
    '08-GF / Coro
    '09-Contem
    '10-DL/Anaheim
    '10-WDW/GF
    '11-WDW/Pol, Contem

Post Thanks / Like

We took the walk to contemporary at the end of the day one night and I cant understand your confliction with walking at the end of the day. I bet the walk is no further than the walk from cinderella castle to the monorail. I think it is a perk to get to walk home from magic kingdom. It is almost like, you are the only resort staying ON Magic Kingdom property, bc you ARE! The other perk to this is not having to worry about the transportation closing before you are ready to leave, no lines, no cranky kids you have to listen to, and no stalling due to any problem. I think it is kind of a lot to expect because you are deluxe. you are paying for your location and your room. not to be treated differently than any other disney resort guest and I told a cast member once that I felt like we were treated poorly bc we were campers and she said we certainly should not be treated ANY differently bc we are staying at any specific resort. We all deserve monorail service and we all have to deal with the fact that they close at a certain time. Those who cannot afford to stay in those resorts dont have the perk to walk home. They have to either call a cab, drive, or make sure that they leave at the appropriate time.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    I honestly wish that they were able to complete the pathway around the 3 resorts, as we would definitely choose to walk back if that was a possibility.
    it appears, on the marathon map as if there IS a path that connects the three resorts, am I wrong?? I realize it isnt something that isnt available for guests to use on a normal basis.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    it appears, on the marathon map as if there IS a path that connects the three resorts, am I wrong?? I realize it isnt something that isnt available for guests to use on a normal basis.
    You cannot walk from MK to GF or Poly. There is a path from GF to Poly.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

We found out the hard way, that indeed, there is no path connecting them. After leaving MK one evening, we started walking the path back to the GF. It ended up being a dead end, as it stopped abruptly by the canal which connects to Bay Lake and houses the electric water parade floats.

Post Thanks / Like

When we go in Dec and staying at the Poly. Epcot is open til 930 (regular closing). MK closes at 7&8pm some nites. Normally you would go from the Epcot monirail to the MK but at that point it will be an hour after MK closing. Anyone know what will happen there?
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat & Monorail Service

The GF is considered the Flagship resort. The Poly and CR are in the same category with the other deluxe resorts (although AKL and WL, because of location, are at times considered slightly differently even though they are deluxe resorts but that is an entirely different thread!)

Linda is right in that none of the resorts, with the exception of the CR, have a direct walking path into the MK. I have walked along the beautiful pathway at the GF towards the MK and from that end too it abruptly ends at the canal. DH and I always lament that there is no direct walking route in this direction and have created all sorts of ways for Disney to complete this when we talk but it's hard to speculate what will happen here.

The question of whether there is a walking path connecting the resorts to the MK is different from the question of whether there is a way to walk around (and consequently to and from) the resort loop of GF, Poly and CR. If anyone has done the marathon events you will find all sorts of paths and routes not normally used. There are all sorts of paths but generally not meant for our usage.

When I have stayed at the GF I always prefer to take the boat back and forth from the MK and when I have stayed at the CR (and now at BLT) I always prefer to walk back and forth to the MK. These are preferences though just as others prefer to take the monorail (and btw after all these years I am still taken by the monorail system and enjoy it).

For the OP: You can take the boat to WL from the MK and then take the boat from WL to CR (that's just in case you are unaware that you do have boat access from MK to CR). Remember that the boat to the Poly is not separate and direct. This boat first stops at the GF.

The changes in the monorail system hrs are disappointing for many even those not staying at the MK deluxe resorts. It will be less convenient having late night dining reservations at all these resorts for everyone. Not sure how this will play out in all instances.
    However safety is more important than convenience. If the monorails need maintenance this is what will need to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

The marathon route from the MK goes out of the park behind Splash Mountain then takes "back roads" towards the GF/poly.

There is a canal between the GF and the MK with no bridge across it. The floats for the EWP are stored there.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly wish that they were able to complete the pathway around the 3 resorts, as we would definitely choose to walk back if that was a possibility.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We took the walk to contemporary at the end of the day one night and I cant understand your confliction with walking at the end of the day. I bet the walk is no further than the walk from cinderella castle to the monorail. I think it is a perk to get to walk home from magic kingdom. It is almost like, you are the only resort staying ON Magic Kingdom property, bc you ARE! The other perk to this is not having to worry about the transportation closing before you are ready to leave, no lines, no cranky kids you have to listen to, and no stalling due to any problem. I think it is kind of a lot to expect because you are deluxe. you are paying for your location and your room. not to be treated differently than any other disney resort guest and I told a cast member once that I felt like we were treated poorly bc we were campers and she said we certainly should not be treated ANY differently bc we are staying at any specific resort. We all deserve monorail service and we all have to deal with the fact that they close at a certain time. Those who cannot afford to stay in those resorts dont have the perk to walk home. They have to either call a cab, drive, or make sure that they leave at the appropriate time.

All of the deluxe resorts have the perk of being the closest to a park. If you were staying at a value or a moderate. you have to take a bus.
    Again, what's the matter with walking? The steps you take to get to either a boat or a monorail, you would have been back to the Contemporary. Have you even tried to walk from the Contemp to MK? I forgot my family's tickets to MVMCP and left my family at the Crystal Palace and walked back to BLT and back to Crystal Palace in 20 minutes. It does not even make logical sense to have a boat from MK to Contemporary.
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know what will be the closing time for the Monorails when MK is hosting MNSSHP & MVMCP? Will they stop at 8pm (1 hour after park closing) or 1am, (1 hour after party finishing)?
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zawadi View Post
    Does anybody know what will be the closing time for the Monorails when MK is hosting MNSSHP & MVMCP? Will they stop at 8pm (1 hour after park closing) or 1am, (1 hour after party finishing)?
    It would be 1am ( 1 hour after the party)
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

It would make for a great morning jog.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

And just to clear one thing up... you can walk from any resort to any park.

You could even walk to DisneyLand if you were so inclined.
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: