Quantcast "Out of date' rides - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Biolante Guest

News flash: Horizons was bulldozed years ago and Mission Space is now in it's sacred place.
    No kidding. Part of it is still there though, unless you haven't actually been to Epcot in the past 20 years and only read about it. They could still create a new Horizons of some sort with the unused space. It would probably be an excellent idea, since its one of the most popular retired attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    I think that would be up to interpretation of the word 'broken'.

Every time I go into Universe of Energy, I see people sleeping. There is no applause when it's over with - just people meandering out of a long boring air-conditioned show.

I love Bill Nye - I grew up watching the guy every day. But the most coverage his face has gotten in the past 10 years is the occasional science news commentary on CNN. And to kids who don't know how Ellen looked in the 90s, i'd say she is near unrecognizable in that attraction.

I agree that Mythbusters might be a fleeting choice, but so is Ellen and Bill Nye, and that hasn't stopped you from defending it. They are the face of science for a lot of people, as Bill Nye was in the 90s. I can see how the idea might work. And I happen to think Adam from Mythbusters is pretty darn good-looking.
    Ellen has one of the biggest daytime television talk shows on TV. She's probably in the top twenty or thirty most recognizable celebrities in the United States. She's actually more successful now then when she made the ride.

But why this obsession with making sure the people on an attraction are as aged as they are now? Do they have to update the rides every year so people don't nitpick about them not having as much wrinkles as they should? Should they also update it to match their current hairdos as well? Fact is, whoever they put in there will be "outdated" eventually, so the idea of replacing them with more "current" fly by night celebrities to keep it updated is kind of an idiotic way to burn money that could be used on something that's actually new. I don't know why places like Universal, Cedar Point, etc. can actually introduce new rides on a consistent basis, while Disney only spends peanuts to update existing ones with slight tinkering no one actually asked for.

I also don't know why people would erupt into applause after a theme park attraction. That in itself seems like a really corny thing to do that most people with self respect would resfrain from doing.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biolante View Post
    No kidding. Part of it is still there though, unless you haven't actually been to Epcot in the past 20 years and only read about it. They could still create a new Horizons of some sort with the unused space. It would probably be an excellent idea, since its one of the most popular retired attractions.
    Please explain to me what you are talking about. You said in an earlier post that Horizons is sitting empty and when someone told you that you were wrong, you respond by acting like you knew that the whole time. Then you proceed to say that part of Horizons is still there. Where? Horizons, to the best of my knowledge, is completely gone with only bits and pieces of it remaining intact and some of it is being used inside the One Man's Dream attraction at Hollywood Studios. Where is this unused space that you are referring to?

As an aside, Horizons was my favorite Epcot attraction. In fact, it was one of my favorite attractions in all of WDW, but it's never coming back in any shape or form. I've just chosen to accept that. As much as I would like to think that bringing it back is a good idea, in reality it probably wouldn't go over that well in today's world and would end up being a financial disaster.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Biolante Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    Please explain to me what you are talking about. You said in an earlier post that Horizons is sitting empty and when someone told you that you were wrong, you respond by acting like you knew that the whole time. Then you proceed to say that part of Horizons is still there. Where? Horizons, to the best of my knowledge, is completely gone with only bits and pieces of it remaining intact and some of it is being used inside the One Man's Dream attraction at Hollywood Studios. Where is this unused space that you are referring to?

As an aside, Horizons was my favorite Epcot attraction. In fact, it was one of my favorite attractions in all of WDW, but it's never coming back in any shape or form. I've just chosen to accept that. As much as I would like to think that bringing it back is a good idea, in reality it probably wouldn't go over that well in today's world and would end up being a financial disaster.
    Part of the pavilion is still in tact. In fact, last I recall the word "Horizons" was still on the door. You can reach it via one of the walk ways.

Anyways, this is getting into semantics, my point was simply they could make a new Horizons instead of wasting time on other pavilions that have already been refurbished.

And of course they could bring it back in some form. They just brought back Captain E-O for cripe's sake. I don't see how a new attraction could be a "finanical disaster" especially when competition is kind of slim from the other attractions at Epcot. Disney really needs to start sinking some money into the park already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biolante View Post
    Part of the pavilion is still in tact. In fact, last I recall the word "Horizons" was still on the door. You can reach it via one of the walk ways.

Anyways, this is getting into semantics, my point was simply they could make a new Horizons instead of wasting time on other pavilions that have already been refurbished.

And of course they could bring it back in some form. They just brought back Captain E-O for cripe's sake. I don't see how a new attraction could be a "finanical disaster" especially when competition is kind of slim from the other attractions at Epcot. Disney really needs to start sinking some money into the park already.
    I was under the impression that the entire Horizons building had been destroyed, but it sounds like maybe a small part of the building is still there based on what you say. That does not really matter, though, as the attraction is, for all intents and purposes, gone and that small part that remains makes no difference.

As I said before, I was a huge fan of Horizons, but building a new version of Horizons would be going backwards. I agree that they need to sink some more money into the park, but there are numerous better ways to do it instead of trying to bring back Horizons. It's time for the park to move forward. Epcot as it was is history. It was great while it lasted but Horizons isn't the only thing that made it what it was. World of Motion is gone, the original Journey Into Imagination is gone, Wonders of Life is gone, etc. It's time for Epcot to advance and become a great and complete park. This can happen by refurbishing and updating current attractions (even if they've already been refurbished before) and by using all of the empty space to create new, exciting attractions. I think we both want the park to improve. We just have different ideas on how to accomplish that.

Comparing the return of Captain E-O to the return of Horizons is like comparing an anthill to a mountain, financially speaking. Bringing back Captain E-O was absurdly inexpensive and was a surefire cash-in on Michael Jackson's death. The theater was already there. All they had to do was change the film. Rebuilding Horizons would cost a huge amount of money, likely in excess of $100 million, and would take money away from other potential projects. Yes, they could rebuild Horizons in some form, but that form would probably be a lackluster shadow of its former self and I don't think anyone would want to tarnish its memory in that way.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

As far as I'm aware, no portions of the original Horizons building remains. There are pictures readily available all over the 'Net showing the space after the Horizons building was demolished as as best I can tell none of the original building was left standing.

Now I may be wrong ... perhaps it's off to one side in the picture and can't be seen, but I'm close to 100% sure that they tore down the entire original structure before building Mission: Space.

If Mufasa pops into this thread he'll confirm/deny for us I'm certain.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Horizons Info -
    "The attraction officially opened on October 1, 1983, as part of Phase II of Epcot. Horizons originally closed in 1994 after General Electric ended sponsorship of the attraction. It was temporarily reopened in 1995 due to the closure of other attractions for refurbishment in "Future World." The attraction permanently closed on January 9, 1999, after which the attraction was dismantled and its structure demolished to make room for Mission: SPACE, a motion simulator thrill ride that officially opened on October 9, 2003."
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Biolante Guest

There is a building left of Horizons on one of the elevated concrete walkways. It isn't the main pavilion you'd see in fliers or whatever. However, it's still a building that was part of the structure. Possibly the exit for the ride or something along those lines. You can recognize it due to the fact it still says Horizons on the door. It isn't open to the public and is probably used for some other purpose now.

I disagree about a new Horizons attraction being a bad idea. It would seem new to new visitors while providing nostalgia for older visitors. Basically a win/win. Future World needs something actually based on the future again anyways. Imagineers don't hate the older stuff anyways. They're like anyone else and have nostalgia for the old rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I love Intercot because it is so informative and gives me my Disney fix, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why comments and opinions get ripped so often. I have seen so many posts go downhill because of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    I love Intercot because it is so informative and gives me my Disney fix, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why comments and opinions get ripped so often. I have seen so many posts go downhill because of this.
    I'm wondering the same thing!
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    Not my intent by starting this thread, sorry if it got out of hand! I'm just always curious about how other 'Disney geeks' feel about the way 'The World' is!

I think the user that was using rather aggressive language has been banned.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Outdated attractions? At Disney? Heck, you can probably count the number of up-to-date attractions at Epcot and the Studios on your two hands (if you're actually doing it, excuse the hyperbole).

In all seriousness, much of Future World is embarrassing at this point, especially Energy and Inagination. Really, how long are they going to keep up with this Captain EO "tribute?"
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Captain EO, I'm just creeped out by it. I like the Honey I shrunk better. It was fun, and reminded me of rides of my youth. Where EO made me glad i wasn't a lil boy in neverland.

The imagination idea is such a pure and fun concept. Wish they would do more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Captain EO, I'm just creeped out by it.
    Me too.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    Not my intent by starting this thread, sorry if it got out of hand! I'm just always curious about how other 'Disney geeks' feel about the way 'The World' is!

Hey, it wasn't your fault! This was a good thread. For the most part, I enjoyed reading other peoples ideas and at least most people out here are respectful of differing opinions.
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaDisneyDreamer View Post

What did he get banned for? I was curious. It doesn't say.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

HSTA is pretty out dated. I know EO is there now but, if and when HSTA returnes, it would be nice to have an attraction in 'Real-D"
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    HSTA is pretty out dated. I know EO is there now but, if and when HSTA returnes, it would be nice to have an attraction in 'Real-D"
    My view of EO, is the same as it is for Stitch's great escape. Anything to get it out of there. I didn't like EO when it came out 20 years ago. Plus, how does it relate to the pavilions concept, and whimsical and inspirational connotations?

Put in a 2nd ride, bring back DreamFinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so conflicted over UoE because it's one of the few attractions that hasn't changed since I've started going to WDW, it makes me feel a little nostalgic . But good points are raised in the fact that it does seem outdated, and kids today probably don't know who Billy Nye is.

Great Movie ride is another that comes to mind, but I also think that the movies it showcases are considered classics so it and hold it's own without needing updating.
    Jason aka EpcotFan182
    DVC Member
    "If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It"

Coronado Springs: '99
    Boardwalk Villas: '02, '04, '06, '15
    Grand Floridian: '03
    Villas @ Wilderness Lodge: '05, '07
    Bay Lake Tower: '10, '13
    Polynesian: '11
    Villas @ Grand Floridian: '14, '16

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part I agree with just about all of the attractions listed.

UOE - still one I really enjoy. I'm sure DS 2 1/2 will enjoy it this year (not that our 3 DDs didn't enjoy it but boys and dinosaurs . . .) I can't say that I would be disappointed to see the video portion reimagined.

CEO - I confess that I have never seen it. Used to pass by it but will have to check it out this year

JC - Classic and I like classic but I can see how it could use a little change. Maybe some live actors mixed in the ride scenes?

Sounds Dangerous - In all of my zillion trips to WDW I think I have stopped for this attraction once and haven't been back.

Indiana Jones - That was old a long, long time ago

Backlot - I too enjoyed the original version more. The canyon scene is getting a bit "corny" over and over again but it still took some newbies by surprise.

Treehouse - (I LOVE Swiss Family Robinson, one of my all time favorite movies) but . . . I think the treehouse could be reimagined to refect Tarzan and Jane and be a bit more fun. Again, maybe a live character or two?
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: