Quantcast WDW fans consider DLR?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW fans consider DLR?

We have only been to WDW and never considered DLR. I guess I wrote it off due to distance, crowds, and smaller size/number of attractions. Well, we watched the DLR video on Netflix and thought - we should go sometime! For those of you who have experienced both parks - what is your recommendation? Do you enjoy them equally for different reasons?
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DLR is definitely worth the trip! Several of the rides are different (like HM and POTC) and they have some things WDW doesn't. It's a completely different atmosphere and worth the experience. I probably prefer WDW, but DLR is a must do at least once.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I love them both very much, for different reasons, but deep down I really enjoy my time at Disneyland the most. It's SO worth experiencing the original for all true Disney fans. Hands down, Disneyland beats Magic Kingdom in so many ways. And although I loved California Adventure how it was, it's going to be incredible when all the renovations are complete. Don't write it off because of distance - it's so worth the trip!

Post Thanks / Like

You should go at least once. There are a couple rides that are different from WDW. POTC is way better in DL. Indiana Jones rides is THE best

We usually do the parks in 3 days. One day for each park. The 3rd day we split between the 2 parks.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I've beend to Disneyland a couple of times now and would certainly visit again. It is a very different experience than visiting Disney World.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Just back a few weeks from our second DL trip. I agree with those above, it is very different and worth the trip. DLR version of Fantasmic and "The World of Color" are worth the trip themselves IMHO.

That being said, WDW is still my favorite - I really miss Epcot while at DLR. Also, I miss the total relaxation while at WDW, as in once there you are surrounded by Disney and need not worry about the outside. At DLR the outside is just across the street and the it leaks into DLR. Also, my family wants to do LA stuff while there and I HATE DRIVING IN LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I am definitely entertaining a future trip. I appreciate your views.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)

Post Thanks / Like

I love them both. DLR is smaller, but I think that's part of its charm. I like having many hotels within walking distance (it doesn't hurt that since we have so many points at so many different chains, we get to stay for free!). In addition, I love California and the LA area. I might actually like DLR better, if not for Epcot and AK. I love WDW for the 'bubble', and I love the feeling of being transported to other lands while at WDW (World Showcase and Africa/Asia at AK). I could do without the humidity, though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I HATE DRIVING IN LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can understand this perfectly!!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllDisney View Post
    Indiana Jones rides is THE best
    We didn't know there was an Indiana Jones ride! Looking forward to seeing it.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wickedgin View Post
    I love them both. DLR is smaller, but I think that's part of its charm. I like having many hotels within walking distance (it doesn't hurt that since we have so many points at so many different chains, we get to stay for free!). In addition, I love California and the LA area. I might actually like DLR better, if not for Epcot and AK. I love WDW for the 'bubble', and I love the feeling of being transported to other lands while at WDW (World Showcase and Africa/Asia at AK). I could do without the humidity, though!
    Exactly - there are pros and cons to each resort. I would definitely miss Epcot if I could only go to Disneyland, but luckily, we have the option of doing both. And I'm one who tends to never leave property when I go to California. Also, LOVE being able to walk everywhere at Disneyland. I'm so over the busses and transportation at WDW, and also over the heat and humidity. There's something to be said for the SoCal weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I like them both equally, honestly. Both hold sentimental value for me, personally, for different reasons, but if I had to pick one to visit for the rest of my life, I'd choose Disneyland. It's just so very magical. I just moved away from there...lived 15 min away for 7 wonderful years. We are anxiously awaiting our return to the area in a few years (hopefully).

You should DEFINITELY go!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We do love them both...while there are similiar attractions at both resorts, there are many things that are completely unique to DLR. And even some of the attractions that are also at WDW are unique at DLR. Plus, there's just something about walking in Walt's footsteps. There's a much more intimate feel to the two resorts. There's something more personal about the character interaction at DLR.

You may not need as many days at DLR, but you can easily combine the stay with other attractions in Southern California.
    1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans FQ
    1998 - Wilderness Cabins
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - Dolphin
    2003 - Coronado Springs
    2005 - Polynesian
    2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2011 & 2016 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike what others have said, I stay on property and have never felt the outside world creeping in. I actually feel that more at WDW because of all the bus travel. Funny how folks can differ.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Both hold sentimental value for me, personally, for different reasons, but if I had to pick one to visit for the rest of my life, I'd choose Disneyland.
    I feel the same exact way!
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

A couple years ago we did WDW, DLR and a Disney Cruise all in the same year. (ya didn't have kids then). They both have a charm all their own, even though they are the same in many ways.

We saw a fireworks show at DLR, that I personally compare everything else to, it was fantastic.

Being able to walk eveywhere at DLR is also pretty neat.

For us the flight is double the cost to DLR then to WDW, but we are planning a trip back soon.

And if you look at all the improvemnets coming down the pipe to California Adventure, it is definately worth the trip.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up going to Disneyland, but even at that I don't think it would make a difference in my opinion. If your a big fan, you need to see Disneyland even if you wait for California Adventure to be further along.

If I had to choose my favorite, stand alone park, it would always be Disneyland. Although it's size seems small, it packs a wallop. I love that I can still see Toad, Submarines, paddle a canoe, visit New Orleans Square see Alice and Pinocchio and they still have a great Toontown. Even if you dislike Small World, the building here is fantastic.

Though they are missing a couple of parks, between the two parks they have many of the same attractions such as Star Tours, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Bugs.. etc.

Also, Fantasmic is quite different when your sitting on the waters edge and the park begins to change around you. Love it.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    If I had to choose my favorite, stand alone park, it would always be Disneyland. Although it's size seems small, it packs a wallop. I love that I can still see Toad, Submarines, paddle a canoe, visit New Orleans Square see Alice and Pinocchio and they still have a great Toontown. Even if you dislike Small World, the building here is fantastic.

Also, Fantasmic is quite different when your sitting on the waters edge and the park begins to change around you. Love it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. One of my friends always refers to Small World at DL as the castle, because of the spectacular building. The first time she visited WDW, she was disappointed and wanted to know where the castle was.

As for Fantasmic - I enjoy this show much more in DL than in WDW - because of the location right in the heart of the park.

Disneyland will always be a special place since Walt's footprints and handprints are everywhere. I just spent a week there in April and I'm planning a return visit next year.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    If your a big fan, you need to see Disneyland even if you wait for California Adventure to be further along.
    As a BIG fan, I am wondering why I haven't added this to my bucket list before now! Thanks for the input, I am looking forward to planning a DLR adventure.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)

Post Thanks / Like

If your walking down main street in the morning and you hear someone chuckle, its because they usually go to WDW and they're looking at DL's castle for the first time. poor little guy.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: