Quantcast Letter to Disney Execs Re: Monorail

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Letter to Disney Execs Re: Monorail

I wrote a letter explaining how upset I am with the reduction of monorail service during EMH. The bottom line is that if I choose to pay a premium price for a premium product, then I should get a premium service. If I get any replies, I will post them through this thread. Perhaps if all of us write letters, we can get this changed. Wish me luck and pixie dust!

Please find below a copy of a letter sent to:
    Walt Disney World Guest Relations
    Walt Disney World Guest Communications
    Robert A. Iger, Chief Executive Officer
    Thomas O. Skaggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
    Meg Crofton, President Walt Disney World Resort
    Al Weiss, President Worldwide Operations

Dear Sirs,

I am a huge Disney fan and have been all my life.
    I have been a loyal patron of the Walt Disney World resort since 1981.
    I am an Annual Passholder and have maintained this status for over 10 years.
    I have been a guest at the
    All Star Music Resort,
    Caribbean Beach Resort,
    Coronado Springs Resort,
    Port Orleans Riverside Resort,
    Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa and the
    Contemporary Resort Hotel.
    I have recommended the Walt Disney World resort to all my family and friends and have helped them plan their vacations there. I hope that my continuing patronage fosters your appreciation.

I have just read with great concern the changes in operating hours to the monorail schedule, specifically changes which affect travel on Extra Magic Hour nights. I have read on an independent Disney website that

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1, 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.

I am extremely disappointed in this development. It seems that even though ticket and resort prices continue to increase, theme park maintenance and services continue to decrease. That is, I continue to pay more and get less. This is not the way to reward loyal customers.

The Disney Company is a premiere organization and those of us who choose to purchase its services realize that we must pay a premium price. Even though most of us have to carefully budget in order to vacation at Disney World, we do so knowingly and willingly. My family returns year after year for our primary vacation and we enjoy ourselves.

But when we pay for EMH privileges and monorail service at a deluxe resort and you reduce the monorail service while a park is still open during EMH, you go too far! This decision does not reflect the excellence in service which is the Disney Corporation. If I choose to pay a premium price for premium service, THEN LET ME!

We are planning a very important trip to the Walt Disney World Resort in 2013. We are taking my cousin and his family. His oldest daughter was diagnosed at a very young age of a relatively rare disorder which caused her to have strokes. She has had multiple surgeries and is facing another major surgery later this month to help her walk more normally. Without the surgery, she will lose the ability to walk. In addition, she currently suffers from seizures, speech problems and mobility. One of her wishes has been to take a trip to Disney World. However, her parents could never afford this expense due to medical bills. We have decided to pool our money to pay for a trip for them. We plan to do our best to make this trip an awesome event for her.

Our primary consideration in planning is this child’s mobility and convenience.

We chose the Contemporary Resort Hotel for one reason: monorail access for this child. Yes, it’s more expensive to stay at the CR, but it’s worth it to all of us to accommodate her needs. We can more easily navigate her wheelchair at this location via the monorail. In addition to the wheelchair, it is important that her travel go as smoothly as possible because she can have seizures if she becomes overly excited or overly tired. We are happy to make this monetary sacrifice for her.

Yet, even though we are paying a premium price to use the monorail, we can’t use it when we really need it – at the end of a long day. Don’t you realize that the monorail is the largest factor in your guests’ choosing a Deluxe Resort?

You must consider how this decrease in monorail service will directly impact those of us who would pay the extra money to stay at a Deluxe Resort on the monorail line. With this decrease in the monorail schedule, staying on the monorail line just isn’t worth it. I don’t want to pay for service that I can’t enjoy at my leisure. This decision could cost you much more in the long run than any “savings” you may incur up front. This decision damages the reputation of the WDW Resort as it appears to be a sad attempt to save you a few pennies.

I would like this decision changed for both the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. The monorail should run until at least an hour after EMH closing to accommodate your monorail resort guests.

I look forward to your reply.

RWR
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Good letter, but be careful what you ask for.

While folks that stay on the monorail resorts pay more for those rooms (presumably because of monorail access), up until now Disney has not actually charges any body anything to use the monorails at any time, whether they stay at a monorail resort, another Disney Resort or even an off property resort. Free for everybody.

Not trying to defend Disney's decision, but they are probably saving a lot more than pennies per day. They most expensive part of any operation at Disney is labor costs and when you factor in operators, maintenance and supervisory personnel, shutting down the monorail operations for a few hours per night will probably save them hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. I think they could make up the difference by raising prices of rooms and park passes, and still calling the monorails free to all users. People would be less likely to complain about it.

Disney could start charging a separate fee per ride or per day for the monorail use. I won't be too surprised if they do.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply.

Monorail/buses/boat transfers are not free. You can bet this is figured into the price of park admission. The monorail resorts provide ease of access to the monorail - not necessarily the monorail itself.

I'm just really frustrated that there is a constant reduction in services and maintenance.

Thanks for listening!
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawleyPlatoon View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

Monorail/buses/boat transfers are not free. You can bet this is figured into the price of park admission. The monorail resorts provide ease of access to the monorail - not necessarily the monorail itself.

I'm just really frustrated that there is a constant reduction in services and maintenance.

Thanks for listening!
    Of course, you are right, nothing is free. But Disney has always been able to call it "free" even though we know it's not, by not charging a separate fee to use it. I just don't want them to start doing that. I think the feedback would be way too negative for them to really consider it. So more likely, we'll see an increase in room rates and park pass prices to cover it. If they are going to provide EMH for resort guests, they ought to provide all the transportation options, especially to those who are paying the premium rates at CR, Poly and GF. I can see them charging extra for EMH access next.

We have never been able to afford the cost of one of the online monorail resorts. But I have always dreamed of being able to stay there someday and enjoy the convenience of the monorail.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good, well thought out letter and for the record, I agree with you. Before we joined DVC we stayed at the monorail resorts frequently. I think it's a terrible move on Disney's part but just another in a long string of cost-cutting take aways in recent years.

I wouldn't expect to hear much from them other than a canned response unfortunately.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    It's a good, well thought out letter and for the record, I agree with you. Before we joined DVC we stayed at the monorail resorts frequently. I think it's a terrible move on Disney's part but just another in a long string of cost-cutting take aways in recent years.

I wouldn't expect to hear much from them other than a canned response unfortunately.
    Hopefully if they get enough letters like this perhaps they'll do something about it. We just got back and I registered my complaint with the Contemporary Concierge regarding this, as well as some major bus problems that we had while we were there. I'm planning on writing something to them as well. Supposedly Disney cares, so hopefully letters will help.
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Great letter, but I think Disney will only listen when people stop staying at the Monorail Resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your frustration, but take this into account...

I read on another site that this is beacause of maintainance required on the beams of the monorail. The problem is that there is not enough time to do the maintainance after EMH. According to the other site, the problem is causing monorails to stop and requiring much more frequent changing of the tires underneath.

I understand your frustration, but everything WDW does isn't a "cutback". Do you want to know that the monorail from your resort will get all the way around? If so, just like ride closures, we have to put up with this to keep it working.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, BB&H!!

For some reason, I thought that I had read just that reasoning when they first announced the shorter monorail hours. Of course, people will tend to panic and start complaining that they 'lost' perks, when they could lose a lot more than that if the maintenance isn't completed.....and there is a lot more to the monorail than just the cars themselves....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post

I read on another site that this is beacause of maintainance required on the beams of the monorail. The problem is that there is not enough time to do the maintainance after EMH. According to the other site, the problem is causing monorails to stop and requiring much more frequent changing of the tires underneath.

I've both seen and read about lots of stoppages on the Monorail, people being evacuated from stalled trains, etc. The monorail is a unique piece of aging park infrastructure. You can't just throw money at it to maintain it, you need time too. I don't like the policy, but I understand it. It would be nice to get something in return for the missing service, but what would it be?
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    I've both seen and read about lots of stoppages on the Monorail, people being evacuated from stalled trains, etc. The monorail is a unique piece of aging park infrastructure. You can't just throw money at it to maintain it, you need time too. I don't like the policy, but I understand it. It would be nice to get something in return for the missing service, but what would it be?
    Like what? Maintainance is a necessary evil. Things get closed down. Does anyone expect something in return for their favorite ride being down for maintainance during a visit?

Let's look at this from another perspective, during a week-long stay at the Contemporary, you will have one opportunity to use evening EMH at MK and one opportunity to use evening EMH at Epcot. That is based on the EMH schedule here at Intercot. Based on that, there will be a maximum of two times during your stay that you will be forced to use a different mode of transportation. In return, the monorails are more reliable the rest of the time. Is this a huge trade off?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a major complaint about the new hours during EMH (mainly because I stay at AKL-Kidani) But the maintenance is necessary and I do use the monorails during they day. If the monorails stopped working during the day because of lack of maintenance that that would disrupt way more guests then two EMH per weeks.

On a side note I think the bigger issue is the monorails and maybe some of the rails need to be replaced. The original lines are 40 years old already and the EPCOT line is almost 29 years old. Hopefully they have plans to update this stuff because extending maintenance times will only help for so long.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad, but I have to side with Disney on this one. It puts a lot of wear-and-tear on the monorails to run so often. By shutting them down earlier, this should help them to run better during the day
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Will the monorail system be running this year during MNSSHP and MVMCP? If they are then it is not a maintenance issue, it is just a cost savings issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post

I understand your frustration, but everything WDW does isn't a "cutback". Do you want to know that the monorail from your resort will get all the way around? If so, just like ride closures, we have to put up with this to keep it working.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but, i think this is part of the frustration. To me, the quality of the parks (breakdowns, issues, etc) I feel in another 10 years or so, the quality of their product will be at Six Flags level. Some place I visit every 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, way back when....Parks open late only during June, July, and Aug...and Christmas and Easter weeks...rest of year, parks close 8-9 PM...no EMH...maintenance on reasonably new Monorail trains keeps up quality...now, there are late hours almost all year....and EMH several nights a week for EPCOT or MK...monorails older and operating many more hours per year...and Disney makes a wise decision to increase maintenance hours on trains and tracks.... Oh, and I am fascinated that
    1. Almost nobody does evening EMH...its too crowded...or
    2. Everyone does evening EMH at MK and EPCOT (3 extra hours) and Disney owes them something for making these extra 3 hours somewhat inconvenient.

One alternative would have been to cancel MK and EPCOT EMH's to allow earlier closure of the monorails...but most rooms on site are served by bus from the parks...and there are alternatives for all guests. Personally, I would adjust to the slight inconvenience, and definitely would not let diminish my enjoyment of a Disney trip. Giving up the monorail for a few hours on one or two nights of a trip is a small thing if it improves the reliability (and safety) of the monorail for all those other days and hours.
    Disney still works for me. It is definitely not descending to Six Flags level. And the resorts beat any other Amusement Park hotels. Although I would like to see more late night eateries in the resorts....could really stand a decent cup of coffee in the morning, too...other than that, I'm happy!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    Okay, way back when....Parks open late only during June, July, and Aug...and Christmas and Easter weeks...rest of year, parks close 8-9 PM...no EMH...
    I agree. I have been vacationing at WDW since 1974. In my opinion, Disney is running some crazy hours now. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I worry about maintenance of the equipment.

Back in the day, we would wait in line for 30+ minutes for every line, and 60+ minutes for any E ticket ride, and a few D ticket rides.

We were last at WDW in March, 2011. With the parks opening early, closing late, and with FP, we were able to do all the rides we wanted, take an afternoon break at the resort, and still not wait in line for more than 15 minutes.

In my opinion, if WDW needs to shut down the monorail line an hour after regular closing hours, I think it is reasonable.

And don't forget that about 10 years ago or so, you had to pay for extra magic nights!
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

For all those complaining about a slight inconvenience on or two nights a week....

What say Disney just take the whole monorail line down for 3 - 6 months to do the needed maintenance (which is very possibly what they should actually do for safety sake!) How would that suit you? At least they are trying to keep the inconvenience to the visitors to a minimum.

This sense of entitlement has gone a bit overboard...much like the 'discussion' when Disney decided to not allow visitors' personal Segways in the parks. Disney provides access/transportation...they do NOT promise what form it will take.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

1) I think some people need cheese with their whine.

2) If you book Deluxe SOLELY for monorail, then don't book Deluxe.
    3) Simple.
    4) No one is guaranteed a monorail when booking.
    5) Maintenance takes time.
    6) I am sure they will consider going back to the schedule.
    7) But, beam work takes too much time for limited hours.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Default interesting...

"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) I think some people need cheese with their whine.

2) If you book Deluxe SOLELY for monorail, then don't book Deluxe.
    3) Simple.
    4) No one is guaranteed a monorail when booking.
    5) Maintenance takes time.
    6) I am sure they will consider going back to the schedule.
    7) But, beam work takes too much time for limited hours.

very interesting dicussion. But, with all due respect, if you book the Contemporary, I believe that you are indirectly guaranteed the monorail as a transportation option (w/o comment on the hours that it is available).

If the monorail needs maintenance, then this is obviously a non-negotiable. However, they could have publicized and communicated the situation much better. As many have pointed out, "closing for refurbishment" is something we are all used to and could accept fairly easily.

On another note, a question really... I am not up to date on all the details of the EMH but I believe the issue goes beyond this ... What about people with late seating dinner reservations, or simply enjoying the ambience of a monorail resort? After dropping a few bucks at Cali Grill, the thought of paying a taxi to take me to the GF at 10pm is irritating, I confess. On the other hand, in my younger crazy days, when I was leaving Cali Grill or Citrico's too late for the monorail, the bell guys always offered to drive us to our resort so we didn't have to take a taxi! ...even if it wasn't on the monorail line!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: