Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - August 31-Sept 16, 2011 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So, Chris, my Mom who lives in Tampa is supposed to fly up here on Friday to attend a wedding this weekend. She is prepared to fly up on Thursday. Good plan? Just waiting for Jetblue to change to allow waivers for Friday flights out of Florida.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Christine, I think the switch to Thursday would definitely be better. If Irene follows the current course, it shouldn't be a huge issue for Tampa, but Thursday will definitely provide more reassurance of that.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Chris, just keeping my eyes on the winds for Thursday now! Hopefully we'll get in just in time to get cozy in our room and wait out Friday!

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, we are moving in-laws to Ft. Lauderdale. We are staying at a relative's in MD Weds night, and then heading out 5am thursday. Do you have any better idea yet about when/where Irene will hit land? We know we won't be able to drive straight through (Two of us in a UHAUL and two in a car) and we'll need to stop off somwhere and possibly wait out the storm, but we're not sure where the best place to stop would be.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, right now it looks like Irene will end up making final landfall somewhere in the Carolinas on Saturday. You will not want to be driving through NC, SC, or the GA coast on Friday or Saturday. You might need to move a little more inland with U-Hauls, like go over to I-75 in Lexington, KY or Knoxville, TN instead of coming down the East Coast. If you stick to I-75 I think you'll be okay. The main threat within Florida will be Thursday afternoon through Friday.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Christine, I think the switch to Thursday would definitely be better. If Irene follows the current course, it shouldn't be a huge issue for Tampa, but Thursday will definitely provide more reassurance of that.
    Chris, we did exactly that. Mom's on the 1:45 PM flight on Thursday. And if flights are messed up out of this area on Monday due to the remnants of Irene, she'll stay an extra night here with either myself or my sister.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, right now it looks like Irene will end up making final landfall somewhere in the Carolinas on Saturday. You will not want to be driving through NC, SC, or the GA coast on Friday or Saturday. You might need to move a little more inland with U-Hauls, like go over to I-75 in Lexington, KY or Knoxville, TN instead of coming down the East Coast. If you stick to I-75 I think you'll be okay. The main threat within Florida will be Thursday afternoon through Friday.
    Thanks so much, great advice.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks good for WDW arrival on Thursday nite but how about 8:30 pm on Aug 28th landing in Hartford BDL? Would a Monday evening be a better option in your opinion? Thanks
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Eastern North Carolinian here, guess we will be taking this one for the team lol.
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy View Post
    It looks good for WDW arrival on Thursday nite but how about 8:30 pm on Aug 28th landing in Hartford BDL? Would a Monday evening be a better option in your opinion? Thanks
    Probably so. Sunday night definitely does NOT look good for that area. It'll depend on how far inland Irene goes in NC before turning northeast. If she stays right along the coast, it'll be really nasty up your way Sunday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by bshaw96 View Post
    Eastern North Carolinian here, guess we will be taking this one for the team lol.
    My prayers will be with you. This one won't be fun.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us updated we are flying down on Sept 1st(hopefully) and will be there till the 12th. Would greatly appreciate the updates.

Post Thanks / Like

From Maryland, depending on how things look on Thursday, you might consider I-85 from below Richmond...you should be below Richmond long before the weather reaches there....avoid 95 in NC, SC, or Ga, until the storm passes....Even if the Hurricane stays off the coast, there will be a lot of rain, and a lot of evacuation traffic...and most of the hotels and motels, if open, will be full. get inland a bit by using 85 (or even 81)..going all the way out to Lexington, or even Knoxville would add an extra day to your trip. Unless the storm actual cuts the coast in FL or GA, staying on 85 should keep you safe. You should be able to decide whether to cut back to 95 by the time you reach Charlotte....77 and 26 will get you to 95...or if it still looks bad Thursday PM, you can stay on 85 to Atlanta, and pick up 75 there...longer trip, but considerably shorter than going west to 75, and then south. Beep as you pass the Easley exit, and I'll run a cup of coffee out to you! (Trade you for some real MD crab cakes!...or some soft shells!)
    You might also consider going west to 81at Hagerstown, and make a decision when you approach 77 whether to cut back to 95 there.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    From Maryland, depending on how things look on Thursday, you might consider I-85 from below Richmond...you should be below Richmond long before the weather reaches there....avoid 95 in NC, SC, or Ga, until the storm passes....Even if the Hurricane stays off the coast, there will be a lot of rain, and a lot of evacuation traffic...and most of the hotels and motels, if open, will be full. get inland a bit by using 85 (or even 81)..going all the way out to Lexington, or even Knoxville would add an extra day to your trip. Unless the storm actual cuts the coast in FL or GA, staying on 85 should keep you safe. You should be able to decide whether to cut back to 95 by the time you reach Charlotte....77 and 26 will get you to 95...or if it still looks bad Thursday PM, you can stay on 85 to Atlanta, and pick up 75 there...longer trip, but considerably shorter than going west to 75, and then south. Beep as you pass the Easley exit, and I'll run a cup of coffee out to you! (Trade you for some real MD crab cakes!...or some soft shells!)
    You might also consider going west to 81at Hagerstown, and make a decision when you approach 77 whether to cut back to 95 there.
    THANKS! I am going to print this out and we will all sit with a map tonight and discuss all of our options and what will work best. GREAT point about evacuation traffic. Didn't think of that one.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are with all of you on the East Coast. To those who are traveling, stay safe!

Strmchsr Chris and Intercotees, you rock.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now it doesn't look like the travel issues would be significant, if anything. It really depends on when on Thursday. The later in the day, the greater the possibility of a delay. The current official track puts Irene only about 150 miles SE of Orlando at 1 am on Friday. The feeder bands from a Cat 2 hurricane stretch out much further than that. So, I think we'll begin to see thunderstorms from the feeder bands beginning late Thursday afternoon. However, those shouldn't cause cancellations. Just potential delays. And even those should be minor. I expect major delays and flight cancellations on Friday, though. If she speeds up, Thursday will be more of an issue, but right now I think you'll be okay and just need to be prepared to stay in rooms/shelter most or all of Friday.
    Hi Chris,

Can't seem to get detailed info on updated status of Irene as it relates to my arrival to WDW on Friday ... all my local weather is saying is that it will hit NC this weekend.

We are scheduled to depart Philly Friday am, any idea what to potentially expect?? I'd like to avoid airport delays with 2 youngins in tow, and perhaps change my flight if necessary. Thanks for all this expert info!

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, I don't think Friday will be a big deal in terms of delays. Irene should be far enough off shore that any impact in Orlando would be a few scattered thunderstorms and nothing consistent that would cause big problems at the airport. It's possible, but not too likely unless Irene jogs back closer to Florida. That, also, doesn't seem too likely right now. The potential impact for NC also would be Saturday, not Friday, so, again, no worries for you. I think Irene will probably just brush North Carolina (which could still be bad) with the greater impact coming in the NYC-Boston range Sunday or Monday.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Is there another tropical storm or hurricane developing in the gulf? I believe you had mentioned it before- just wondered if there was any more to it. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    Is there another tropical storm or hurricane developing in the gulf? I believe you had mentioned it before- just wondered if there was any more to it. Thanks for the help.
    Some of the models are continuing to show a tropical system of some kind impacting Florida around the Sept 5-6 time frame. However, I don't see it at the moment in terms of where that would develop from. The only significant wave in the Atlantic right now will turn north and not be a threat at all. Sometimes the models develop stuff out in "voodooland" just because conditions are ripe. So, nothing to worry about right now.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks. We leave on the 1st and will be there till the 12th. Just wondered what weather we would be up against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    ok thanks. We leave on the 1st and will be there till the 12th. Just wondered what weather we would be up against.
    My guess right now is continued hot and humid. I have no reason to be overly concerned about anything specific in the tropics right now. If that changes, I'll definitely be sure to post it in the forecast. Hope you have a great trip!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: