Quantcast All Star Sports:Opinions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default All Star Sports:Opinions

We have booked 2 rooms at All Star Sports for the week after Thanksgiving. I have not seen many posts regarding people's experiences there. Please give me the good and bad so that I know what we're in for. Our previous stays have been at AKL, WL, and CBR. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We enjoy the theming of the values and the costs. We especially enjoyed them when our children were smaller ...we would walk from area to area letting them play on/with the various theming elements and took lots of great pictures with the large iconic decorations.

The only draws backs are that the rooms are smaller and noise can be something of a factor (especially if your room is on the ground floor in a high traffic area OR if there are any team/group competitions (think cheerleaders) during your stay. However, for us the noise issues, even at their worst, weren't really much of a problem when it came to sleeping at night (we bring a little travel fan for white noise anyway), just during the day when we stopped by for an afternoon nap.

Hope you have a great stay.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Do you have any children? If so, I think they will enjoy ASS. I stayed there once in my teens and really enjoyed it. I was playing Tennis and Basketball at the time so I thought the oversize sports equipment on the buildings was just awesome. My best friend and I had a blast running around the resort doing photo-ops with the over sized equipment. We stayed in the Tennis building and it was a really nice and quiet area since it was away from the main building.

My husband and I stayed there also a few years ago in a King Room. It was great to have a King Bed on vacation instead of those two doubles.

There is also a McDonalds right down the street if your a fan.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    The only draws backs are that the rooms are smaller and noise can be something of a factor (especially if your room is on the ground floor in a high traffic area OR if there are any team/group competitions (think cheerleaders) during your stay.
    This is a MAJOR problem IMO. I stayed at Sports in April 2010 in the preferred section. The first 2 nights were great! Peaceful, pleasant atmosphere. Sat out by the pool every morning. This drastically changed on the 3rd night.

Starting around 10 pm there were literally hundreds upon hundreds of teenagers, running, yelling, swimming, drinking, hanging out by the rooms, you name it. The noise level was absolutely outrageous. There were unsupervised teenagers everywhere...running up and down the outside corridors, on every chair at the pool, in the water. (literally there was NO extra space in that pool)

It was disturbing to say the least. The signs say quiet time starts at 10 pm, however, this is not enforced when the high school groups are there. That is exactly what the cast members told me. It really would be quite impossible I suppose, but for the sake of the other guests they should at least warn them that they are going to be in the middle of what amounts to a scene from Animal House. The next morning every chair was taken before I even got my coffee.

That next day we were moved over to the Caribbean Beach by management as a result of the noise. That should tell you how much of a problem it is.

I will say that I really did enjoy the resort before the group arrived. My advice is to call and find out if a group will be staying during your dates and, if so, by all means, go elsewhere!

Post Thanks / Like

We love All Star Sports. We specifically like staying in the quiet "Hoops" section, and we like the food court and arcade very much. For us the size is now the drawback. The 4 of us do not fit in a smaller room with double beds very well now that the kids have grown.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the place!

I loved the theming, the staff was great, and the room was very clean. I always rent a car, so I did not try the transportation but the food hall was easily managable and never got out of hand.

The only real negative is with all value resorts. Noise insulation in the rooms is poor. You will know when the next room wakes up, leaves, and has the tv on. Take a white noise machine or earplugs and that will sove that. Also taking a top floor and staying away from poolside works well too.

Some of the areas are dated, like the poolside bar and the hall of photos. (im a sports nut, and judging by the photos the last redo of the resort must have been mid 90s) Either way, I loved it and if you aren't expecting a 5 star resort you should have a lot of fun!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybun View Post

It was disturbing to say the least. The signs say quiet time starts at 10 pm, however, this is not enforced when the high school groups are there. That is exactly what the cast members told me.

I had an issue with that once, and it was taken care of right away by security.

I have been happy with all the All Star's.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    We love All Star Sports. We specifically like staying in the quiet "Hoops" section, and we like the food court and arcade very much. For us the size is now the drawback. The 4 of us do not fit in a smaller room with double beds very well now that the kids have grown.
    I've stayed twice in the Hoops section and found it to be perfectly quiet...in fact, my experience at All Star Sports was very positive. Talk to the reservations folks about where you might be placed so that you aren't disturbed by noisy kids and I'm sure they'll work with you.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at Sports a number of times and enjoy it.
    I would request a room that does not face a pool.
    Also of note is the fact that the buses pick up and drop off at Sports first (whenever the bus is being shared with the other All Stars).
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

My DW and I stayed at the All Stars Sports in March of this year. It was our first time staying in a Value and we had read the pro's and con's and decided to go with an open mind and see for our selves.
    Pro's
    Cool theming
    Very good Bus transportation as AS Sports is the first to be picked up and dropped us off first.
    Food court, decent selection
    King rooms
    CM's were quite nice.

Con's

Noise, not horrible but when you are dealing with large numbers of teens you have to expect that. Wasn't noisy enough for us to need to call security.
    King rooms! Couldn't book one, luck of the draw I guess.
    Overall, we would stay there again. It was a nice stay.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

pros
    fun theming
    big pool
    $$$ saved
    variety of food

Cons:
    lots and lots of teens
    loud nights by the pool
    no overhang at bus stops( sounds picky but the hot sun can bake you waiting for the bus)
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

I personally enjoy ASP and still try to stay there every time but get overruled. We paid the extra for preferred room and was in surf section where the grassy treed courtyard is. I do not recall us having issues with noise but we are pretty easy going. First to board busses too so could always get a seat. We werethereduring Pop Warner too. Could have been luck.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies it was not Pop Warner it was some big cheerleading comp.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there last August and I was prepared to dislike it... but we liked it. We didn't seem to have any large groups stayig there at the time and didn't experience the loud pool. We stayed in the hoops section and were a short walk from the pool and lobby.
    Didn't use the food court- there always looks like a million people no matter what time of day- but we went to the pool a few times and it was not crowded. My boys loved the sports theme. I don't think it's real different from any of the other values I've stayed at there but over all no complaints.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody! This info helps a lot. My husbands sleep apnea machine should block the noise. I sure can't here anything at home over it.
    I'm hoping that large groups will be gone since we are going the week after thanksgiving & schools should be back in. My kids are 9 & 14 & my niece 8 so I think they'll love the theming. They''re all into sports. Thanks again & have fun on your next trips.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in the AS Sports in 2006 and LOVED it. We did stay during pop warner week which is usally the 1st week in Dec. but we had no problems at all. Both cheerleaders and football players are there. But like I said we never had an issue. I think we also stayed in the hoops section. Rooms are small but since you are getting 2 rooms you should be fine.
    1996 Off site
    2000 Off site for Honeymoon
    2005 Off site
    2006 All Star Sports
    2008 POR
    2014 POR
    2019 POR Royal Room

Next Trip - November 2020 Riviera Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: