Quantcast Disney magic is dimishing

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney magic is dimishing

We just got back from a wondeful trip to Walt Disney World.....but I have to say....for the first time in over 40+ trips to WDW, this was the first time I felt like Disney is looking for ways to charge more money for the magical experience. You know...like in the movie "The Santa Clause 3 - The Escape Clause" where Jack Frost started nickle & diming people to experience the Christmas Magic. That was how I felt when I was in WDW...I felt like, if I wanted to have that magical Disney experience, I was going to have to pay extra for it. For example, I remember as a kid till about 3 years ago, you could sit in the Tomorrowland Terrace to watch the fireworks. It was a great place to, especially when you have little ones, to sit & relax & let the kids unwind a while. Well....it seems the execs at Disney have discovered that it is a great place to view the fireworks...so great, that now, in order to sit in the Tomorrow Land Terrace, you have to pay extra (eg. Dessert Party) to enjoy that once free place to sit. So..it seems Disney is turning into a place where even premium sitting/resting areas are a place of additional cost to the customer. What's next....applying additional charges to the window seat in the monorail? Or maybe they will start charging for pictures with the characters. All I know is, if this keeps up, I will not be able to afford a Magical disney Experience....and that will be a very sad day.

Mike
    '75 - CR
    '80 - CR
    '81 - CR
    '82 - CR
    '83 - CR
    '85 - FW (Cabins)
    '96 - SoG
    '99 - CR & WL
    '00 - Dixie Landings
    '02 - CR
    '04 - SoG
    '06 - CR
    '08 - SoG
    '11 - S0G
    '12 - Next trip to Poly (at Xmas)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the only great place to watch the fireworks?

Post Thanks / Like

Psst...

It's not starting with the Fireworks Party... That's not even the most recent development...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy336 View Post
    Or maybe they will start charging for pictures with the characters.
    They do, in a roundabout way, via photopass. I got dozens of great character photos, and paid hundreds to get them.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, so let me get this straight. Disney finds a place where they can add to the fireworks experience by hosting a "Wishes Dessert Party." And this place happens to be the place where you used to be able to sit free? And now you are grumpy because they are charging to sit there?

I see no problem with that. And I don't find that nickle and diming. When you attend the dessert party, you are getting something added to your experience and, to be honest, what one gets in that costs money.

My question to those who get annoyed at is perceived as "nickle and diming" is, what are you paying for? If Disney just closed off the section and said, "hey, if you want to sit here, you have to pay," that is one thing. But they are offering a premium with the dessert party. One has to be eating at the Rose and Crown to be able to use the patio to see the Illuminations fireworks from there. Is that nickle and diming?

Also, if they need staffing for something, those employees are expected to work free?

Yes, some places will nickle and dime you when what they are charging doesn't cost them anything, like bag fees on many airlines now.

But many times, at Disney, there is a business reason for the charges. Whether it is salary, food, or just plain overhead, there are costs involved that need to be paid. So the choice is this, everybody pays those charges even if those things are not used or just the people who chose to experience them pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck yeah it's nickle & diming!! Little nuances like this is was what separated Disney from everyody else......This was an area always open.....now it is closed all day and only opened for those who paid for the premium fireworks seating. People are already paying a premium to stay in a deluxe resort for more convenience; they are already paying a premium to eat at a character meal; they are already paying a premium for MK, EPCOT, whatever views from their hotel rooms; already paying a premium for park hopper pass upgrade; already paying a premium for holiday celebration parties; already pay a premium to meet & greet characters (need fast pass now for certain characters. Let me ask you....when was the last time you saw a Disney character "just appear" out of nowhere in random locations in the park? It doesn't happen...at least not the last 4/5 times I have been there. Look.....inspite of all this, it is still my family's #1 destination. We still have a great vacation with great memories when we visit. My concern is the TREND I see where Disney APPEARS to want to be more like its competitors instead of separating itself from them. My concern is all the little things that made Disney...well...Disney.....are now premiums. And what happens when you pay extra for all those premiums....customers expect more...and when they do not get what THEY expect...what THEY perceive to be less than expected.....they complain and get ugly..and all of us who also paid for the premiums, get to be a part of their "premium" ugliness which, of course, diminishes me & my families "premium" magical disney experience. The experience I paid extra for because...well...it was a premium. Disney is an expensive vacation...I know that...I expect it because I want a high quality enjoyable vacation. And that is almost guaranteed at Disney. But there will come a time where Disney is gonna hit that threshhold where suddenly it just is not all that special, where it is no different than other theme park. I do not want to see that happen. Some of my bst memories as a kid and as a parent have been at WDW. I just want my kids to be able to say the same thing when they take their kids to WDW. My fear is...it will not happen.

Mike
    '75 - CR
    '80 - CR
    '81 - CR
    '82 - CR
    '83 - CR
    '85 - FW (Cabins)
    '96 - SoG
    '99 - CR & WL
    '00 - Dixie Landings
    '02 - CR
    '04 - SoG
    '06 - CR
    '08 - SoG
    '11 - S0G
    '12 - Next trip to Poly (at Xmas)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy336 View Post
    We just got back from a wondeful trip to Walt Disney World.....but I have to say....for the first time in over 40+ trips to WDW, this was the first time I felt like Disney is looking for ways to charge more money for the magical experience. . . . . . . . . All I know is, if this keeps up, I will not be able to afford a Magical disney Experience....and that will be a very sad day.
    Here's another way of looking at it. There are already millions of people who have never been able to afford a "Magical Disney Experience". It's always been a "very sad day" for them. I dare say that fact hasn't made it any less Magical for those of us who are fortunate enough to be able experience WDW or DL even one time much less multiple times. Everything that costs anything is more expensive than it used to be. I'm just glad there's still enough people who can afford visiting WDW to keep the place in business, so my family can experience it once in a while.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's why I don't agree that Disney is "nickel and diming" us. To truly do that, they would have to now be charging for something that had previously been free. For example, airlines used to allow you to check bags for free. Now they don't. THAT'S nickle and diming. If Disney were to start charging for the ability to use the Fastpass system, or if they starting charging for monorail and bus rides on property, THAT would also qualify. But to close off a section that you used to sit in, so that they can generate revenue by providing a service that they didn't before....that's just Disney trying to make money by using previously unused resources.

Now, if they had simply starting trying to charge you for the right to sit and watch the fireworks, THAT would be nickling and diming you to death.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

If Disney can find a way to **** more money out of your wallet, they are going to do it. Nothing is "free" at WDW. Mickey Mouse is a bank account Hoover vacuum.

Simply put, Disney is probably the most expensive vacation that can be taken. If you can get buy on a 1-week vacation at under $1000 per person, you have done pretty well.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Simply put, Disney is probably the most expensive vacation that can be taken. If you can get buy on a 1-week vacation at under $1000 per person, you have done pretty well.
    Not necessarily. John and the gang discussed this on a recent INTERCOT Insider Live and a week at the beach could be just as if not more expensive than going to Disney World. I believe it was Episode 17: Checks in the mail.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Here's why I don't agree that Disney is "nickel and diming" us. To truly do that, they would have to now be charging for something that had previously been free.
    Park Hopping used to be free... No Expiration used to be free. Used to get a free photo at MNSSHP and MVMCP, etc, etc.

The list could go on... Disney is exploring every revenue stream they possibly can.. Again, I don't blame a business for making money, but it's how you go about it, and the tenacity that you do that makes the difference. Disney's attempts are no longer clouded by pixie dust anymore. It's very easy to see exactly what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Park Hopping used to be free... No Expiration used to be free. Used to get a free photo at MNSSHP and MVMCP, etc, etc.
    Park hopping and no expiration were never free. The passes cost considerably more before they became "magic your way".

Back to the OP, that is no nickle and diming going on (yet) at WDW. When they start charging for something that used to be absolutely, 100% FREE, then you can make that claim. Everything they charge for is either a good or service.

Here's an idea: if you don't like Disney's business practices, stop giving them money! I actually applaud Disney's attempts to make more money by providing "premium" experiences. The Wishes Dessert party has been around for a couple years now. It is GROSSLY overpriced for what it is, yet it's booked solid practically every night. The old saying about fools parting with their money comes to mind. Also, character buffets. Come on...don't tell me that these aren't outright money grabs on Disney's part, yet they have been going on for DECADES now. On what planet is a breakfast buffet worth $30+ per person, without the presence of all you can drink mimosas? I remember going to very fancy special occasion (like New Year's Day) buffets at high end hotels with my parents when we were kids. Those didn't even cost near the price of breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and these were elaborate buffets...

Disney has always been a "money grab". EVERY business in the entertainment industry operates under that principle. Find as many ways as possible to separate the customer from his money. Plain and simple. The thing is, you, the customer (or "guest" at WDW) still has the power to choose what to spend your money on. Disney simply opens the gates every morning and the guests do the rest. Obviously, it's working for them, and we should all be glad that there are enough "fools" parting with their money on superfluous things so that Disney parks can still be up and running.

I did a Fantasmic dessert party at Disneyland several years ago. It cost something like $120 for me and my DH. It was our anniversary, so a special occasion. I can wholeheartedly say, that was the biggest waste of $120 ever. I fell for it. I felt like an idiot at the end of that. I couldn't believe we had just paid so much money for mediocre (likely previously frozen) dessert and a view of the show obstructed by trees. Fool me once, shame on you.

I won't be fooled twice. I am smarter about what I spend my money on at Disney now.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone forgets is this. Disney is a business and businesses are in business to make money. We have all made Disney into this dream that we all love, and I am happy to have a place like that. But to not have them try and make every buck they can is not happening.

I book my holiday at Disney and go to Disney knowing that it is not the cheapest trip for me and my family, but we all love it, so is it worth it YA.

Compare it to anything else and you will see every other business does the same thing, we sometimes forget it about Disney because of the love we have for the place.

And look on the bright side, a case of my favourite beer (not even the super fancy stuff)up here where it snows all the time (so they say) costs me $44 bucks. Everything has it's price and that price is always going up....
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    If Disney can find a way to **** more money out of your wallet, they are going to do it. Nothing is "free" at WDW. Mickey Mouse is a bank account Hoover vacuum.

I disagree with this. I think that anyone who spends that kind of money needs to be looking at how they are spending it. There are always deals, and choices about places to stay.

Our real life Disney Vacation this year:

3 adults, 1 child
    8 day, 7 night MYW w/ Park Hoppers in early December
    Moderate Resort, Standard View @ Coronado Springs
    Free Regular DDP
    Driving to and from the parks.

Total cost?

$3000, including gas and hotels on the way to and from Disney. Will we spend some money on souvenirs? Sure, but we have a Disney Rewards Visa, and will have earned over $400 Disney Dollars on it by that time, and that is the souvenir money.

And this summer our three kids went to Arizona/Utah for three weeks. We came and joined them for one week. The plane tickets alone were almost $1500, plus a few hotels, eating out, souvenirs, etc. The one week in Arizona/Vegas/Utah easily surpassed what we spend on a trip to Disney.

And, no, we didn't gamble.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Park hopping and no expiration were never free. The passes cost considerably more before they became "magic your way".

Back to the OP, that is no nickle and diming going on (yet) at WDW. When they start charging for something that used to be absolutely, 100% FREE, then you can make that claim. Everything they charge for is either a good or service.
    Yeah, I don't ever remember Park Hopping being free.

There is a difference between not liking Disney's rate increases or adding services and Disney charging for what used to be free services. Kicking you out of your fireworks spot to use it as a Dessert/Fireworks Party is not nickle and diming you to death. Putting in pay toilets would be.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Incorrect... The day Disney went to MYW tickets (Jan 2, 2005), ALL comparable tickets cost more than they did the previous day. Before MYW, park tickets included park hopping and never expired (I still have a few). Comparing apples to apples, MYW was a price increase, a cleverly designed price increase, but an increase none the less.

2004 5 Day Park Hopper (didn't expire) = $249 ($230 advance purchase)
    2005 (MYW) 5 Day Park Hopper w/ No Expiration = $263

Post Thanks / Like

So what you're really saying is, the Magic is diminished for you because it costs more than it used to. That is true of almost everything worth paying for that I know of. By that reasoning, nothing is as good as it used to be.

I remember a lesson my grandfather taught me. He was born in 1893, in a family that was dirt poor, but lived to be 101 years old. (died in 1994). When he was born, there were no cars, planes, telephones, computers television, not even radio or even electricity in houses, not to mention running water or indoor plumbing. He lived through the 100 year period where the world was changed more by modern technology more than any previous century.

He always told me that when people talked about the "good ol' days" that they were mostly full of B.S. They remembered the good times, but conveniently forgot to talk about most of their lives when life was hard and difficult, you know, little things like no shoes in the winter or not enough food to feed the whole family. Funny how we all have convenient memories.

The lesson was: that our standard of living is better than it ever was, no matter what decade. Remember the good times in the past, but don't take for granted how good we got it now. In 20 years, right now will be the "good ol' days." , so we should quit our "belly achin". Most everything is better than it used to be, even though it does cost more $$. We make more $$ than ever before too.

There could be no Disney World at all because nobody could afford it. So I'm just glad it's still there, even though we can't afford to go as often as we'd like. It's still a magical place to me. Adjusted for inflation, I bet it's not much more expensive than it was 20 years ago.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you still had a good time, which is great news. I'm sad to hear that you feel the magic is diminishing, though.

Interestingly enough, we came away with the exact opposite thoughts. While we've never taken advantage of the fireworks view from your previous vantage point which is now a chargeable ADR, we found the free marshmallow roast & movie from our resort to be quite the value and really enhanced our stay, especially DS. I hope that, after this many visits under your belt, that you can still find the magic at Disney World!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Incorrect... The day Disney went to MYW tickets (Jan 2, 2005), ALL comparable tickets cost more than they did the previous day. Before MYW, park tickets included park hopping and never expired (I still have a few). Comparing apples to apples, MYW was a price increase, a cleverly designed price increase, but an increase none the less.

2004 5 Day Park Hopper (didn't expire) = $249 ($230 advance purchase)
    2005 (MYW) 5 Day Park Hopper w/ No Expiration = $263
    Ok, but how is that different from any of the recent (sometimes twice a year) price increases on park passes? My point stands that Park Hopping (and no expiration) were never free. When the two comparable passes only have a price difference of $13, it's pretty obvious. How much did a 5 day MYW NON Park Hopper/NON "no expiration" pass cost? I am guessing somewhere around $80 less, right? Then, yeah, they were charging for the park hopping/no expiration all along...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

A Geology professor once told me that any diamond, however simple, has at least 8 sides...and so it is with stories about Disney...Just got back....there are changes I love, and changes I hate...and people I miss...My kids have grown up...I was ready for that...but their kids have grown up, and I love it, and hate it...I remember special people in special places, and they aren't there, neither the people, nor the places I found special...Was it because of the people? The Magic was shared...if part of it is missing, the Magic seems less. Every trip is filled with special memories. This time, my face was wet even before we got splashed, as I rode Splash with DGD'd #2 and #3. I would give Disney everything I have for more moments like that!

Oh, but I do miss our family rendezvous area, on the lowest level of the Tomorrowland Terrace...
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: